Sign in to follow this  
fatlaz

Best of Mizzou

The St. Louis Post Dispatch is running a series of stories on the 30 best athletes at Mizzou since the Mizzou beat reporter, Dave Matter, started covering Mizzou sports.  J'Den Cox is 3rd.   There are two more places that will be revealed Saturday and Sunday. Ben Askren will be 2nd or 1st.  Matter has said that he's considering mainly performance in college and that national awards would be the deciding factor. 

I think Chase Daniel--former Mizzou QB--Heisman trophy finalist and multi-million dollar NFL backup quarterback will be second and Askren will be first.  In my opinion, Askren's Hodge awards will make the difference.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/matters-best-of-mizzou-no-3-jden-cox/article_8b49dcbe-2062-5d46-a38d-fefbf4e47a93.html

22 minutes ago, fatlaz said:

The St. Louis Post Dispatch is running a series of stories on the 30 best athletes at Mizzou since the Mizzou beat reporter, Dave Matter, started covering Mizzou sports.  J'Den Cox is 3rd.   There are two more places that will be revealed Saturday and Sunday. Ben Askren will be 2nd or 1st.  Matter has said that he's considering mainly performance in college and that national awards would be the deciding factor. 

I think Chase Daniel--former Mizzou QB--Heisman trophy finalist and multi-million dollar NFL backup quarterback will be second and Askren will be first.  In my opinion, Askren's Hodge awards will make the difference.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/matters-best-of-mizzou-no-3-jden-cox/article_8b49dcbe-2062-5d46-a38d-fefbf4e47a93.html

Hmmm.....only considering performance in college yet Chase Daniel is going to be ahead of J'den? I was in school at Mizzou during the Chase Daniel (and Ben Askren) era. I went to the Cotton Bowl in 2008 and watched them destroy Arkansas (mostly Tony Temple setting a Cotton Bowl rushing record against a team with Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, and Peyton Hillis).  It is the best years Mizzou football has ever head, no doubt. But his performance is not ahead of J'den's. He couldn't get passed Oklahoma and win a conference championship. J'den won three national titles. The only justification is that football is a (much) bigger sport, and maybe that's enough. Even outside of NCAA performance, I would have J'den ahead of Chase, unless you are factoring in salary.

Of course I agree.   Chase was a Heisman trophy finalist but J'Den was a Hodge finalist as well as a three time NCAA champion.   I just thought it was well balanced that there are a lot of non basketball/non football people on his list and 2 of the top 3 are wrestlers.

If you have ever seen or met Chase Daniel well then you may put him in a most accomplished category

but is no where close to a best athlete category. He has exceptional skills but does not come across as

being athletic.

12 minutes ago, mlbruem said:

If you have ever seen or met Chase Daniel well then you may put him in a most accomplished category

but is no where close to a best athlete category. He has exceptional skills but does not come across as

being athletic.

Best Athlete is understood that's it's specific to the sport they played, not best overall athlete.  And comparing individual vs team sport athletes is difficult.  There are 10 top-ranked wrestlers, only 1 top-ranked football team (which Daniel and Mizzou were for a while in 2007).

Edited by KCMO2