Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Mixed feelings about ESPN involvement in the sport

I too, thought the coverage was the best it has ever been. Two years ago, I had to work and couldn't go, and thought the fact that I could watch any of it on the internet, was fabulous. Couldn't go this year either, and found the coverage improved a ton in two years. The production value is so much better than in years past. Maybe they are putting their better people on it. What ever it is, it shows. I thought the announcer (not Robles or Johnson), was essential to the coverage. Even though he is not deeply knowledgeable, he is a very good professional announcer, and was key to a smooth, quality, broadcast. And for a non-wrestling guy, he did show a lot more understanding of the sport than most non-wrestling broadcasters would. Robles and Johnson are essential for the wrestling knowledge, and even though Johnson has become a real professional announcer, they both benefitted from having a real professional TV announcer, to keep the dialog moving and flowing. All in all, the best job on the tournament to date.

I thought they did a decent job on the internet coverage, of talking about more than just one or two mats. I like to fill out the brackets as the matches take place, and have always filled in the results I've missed, by listening to Sandy give the results over the PA. I thought it was cool, that I was able to do this at home, because I could here her in the background, giving the results. The next evolution would be for the internet coverage to have all eight mats up, with one audio feed, and click to expand any mat you want larger. It could almost be like being there. I remember not too many years ago, I couldn't go to the tournament, and we were all listening to university web site radio broadcasts, and posting results on threads, trying to keep up, and the only TV was the finals. We've come along way.

Oh, and TobusRex, the comment about John Smith and 5 time champ, was referring to coaching championships, not as a wrestler. I had the same initial reaction until I realized what he meant.

this, +1

I do wish ESPN would air more in-season stuff, however. I think the last time ESPN aired anything other than the NCAA Championships was the Iowa/Oklahoma State dual two years ago, and that was on tape delay on ESPNU.

I agree. ESPN is known for showing high school football games even. We want a fair shake at that level too. How about the finals of Ironman or Reno shown. It would be good for the college coaches that are in season that can't travel to recruit. Also ESPN shows DII and DIII basketball and football championships, lets open it up and maybe get ESPN to shown NAIA, NCWA whatever. More options certainly would be welcome.

It is nice for them to show it, the most coverage wrestling will get in a given year. The smoke that shot out when they raised the winners hand was so cheesy though. I don't like how TV ratings and stuff are changing our sport. But I guess that is the reality of 2013.

Either way, you have to be happy when it is on TV for millions to watch. And the four screen/ four matches on ESPN3 was pretty awesome, although it ruined the quality. Best coverage yet IMO. I was at the tournament 2 of the past 3 years, and I must say, watching at home was pretty awesome this year.

It is nice for them to show it, the most coverage wrestling will get in a given year. The smoke that shot out when they raised the winners hand was so cheesy though. I don't like how TV ratings and stuff are changing our sport. But I guess that is the reality of 2013.

Either way, you have to be happy when it is on TV for millions to watch. And the four screen/ four matches on ESPN3 was pretty awesome, although it ruined the quality. Best coverage yet IMO. I was at the tournament 2 of the past 3 years, and I must say, watching at home was pretty awesome this year.

I obviously used the wrong words in my thread starting subject line and ruffled some feathers. I did not mean that to come off like it did. I was trying to point out how they were glamming up the production of the finals, that's it.

I obviously used the wrong words in my thread starting subject line and ruffled some feathers. I did not mean that to come off like it did. I was trying to point out how they were glamming up the production of the finals, that's it.

Yeah, the smoke was just so tacky.

I do agree that the smoke thing was way cheesy, and it would have been better without it. I kind of looked at it like something I saw several years ago, at the tournament, I believe it was in Iowa City. They wanted to make the award ceremony a big deal. They had these big potted plants and girls in gowns and stuff. They had to set them up before each award, and move them again after. They were giving the awards between matches, as they do now. It was painful to watch in person, as it took forever, and the crowd really started groaning and complaining after the second weight. I'm pretty sure this was before live coverage. I don't remember at what point, but they changed what they were doing, midstream. They quit moving the plants, and sped up the awards. The point is, they tried to do something to make an impression. It failed and they quickly adjusted. A lot of what ESPN did differently, worked. I don't even know if the smoke thing was their idea, or the tournament people, or whoever. I'd be willing to bet, that when they analyze their broadcast, that will be one thing that they will notice right away, as one of the things that didn't work out too well.