Sign in to follow this  
jerseywrestling

1998 NCAA Champions

1998 NCAA Champions

ncaa-champs-1998.jpg

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/news.php?story=1998 NCAA Champions

Throwing it back to the NCAA champions and medalists of 1998!

This legendary class includes two three-time NCAA champions, four two-time NCAA champions, multiple four-time All-Americans, and two world medalists, one who is also a world champion and the owner of three super bowl rings!

1998 NCAA Champions

118 - Teague Moore, Oklahoma State
126 - Eric Guerrero, Oklahoma State
134 - Mark Ironside, Iowa
142 - Jeff McGinness, Iowa
150 - Eric Siebert, Illinois
158 - Dwight Gardner, Ohio University
167 - Joe Williams, Iowa
177 - Mitch Clark, Ohio State
190 - Tim Hartung, Minnesota
275 - Stephen Neal, Cal State-Bakersfield

Check out all the medalists!

https://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_medalists.php?year=1998

Thank you to Andrew DeWitt for the photo!

If anyone has the champions picture from another year, you can email it to support@jerseywrestling.com, and it will be added to the website!

===

Like and follow us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/jerseywrestling/

I remember watching John and Joe drill before the finals in a nice college tournament in Arizona.  ISU, Cal St Bakersfield when they had Mr 55-0 and 54-0.  Bliss dominated a young Carr.  Not that Bliss wasn't double tough, but Nate did go on to win 3 titles, so...Anyway, those two animals were smooth as silk.  It's been a while since we've seen a duo like that.  I guess Nolf and Nickal would be a good comparison.   I remember feeling like Fujita and the Kellers were a tough spot in the line-up.  I'm thinking Monday and Sheets, The Brands, the The Banachs, The Steiners.  Funny how often the absolute brutes have absolute brutes for team mates...

4 hours ago, Peso said:

I remember watching John and Joe drill before the finals in a nice college tournament in Arizona.  ISU, Cal St Bakersfield when they had Mr 55-0 and 54-0.  Bliss dominated a young Carr.  Not that Bliss wasn't double tough, but Nate did go on to win 3 titles, so...Anyway, those two animals were smooth as silk.  It's been a while since we've seen a duo like that.  I guess Nolf and Nickal would be a good comparison.   I remember feeling like Fujita and the Kellers were a tough spot in the line-up.  I'm thinking Monday and Sheets, The Brands, the The Banachs, The Steiners.  Funny how often the absolute brutes have absolute brutes for team mates...

You're in reference to Joe Gonzales and Azevedo....and you are absolutely right....they called them the Gold Dust Twins.  In their last 2 years they had a combined record of 183-2.  Gonzo losing in the NCAA finals in  '79 to Gene Mills 16-13 in a barn burner, and Azevedo losing to Randy Lewis  the same year 20-14,  also in the finals.

22 hours ago, Perry said:

Joe Williams was pretty short

The height difference between him and Mitch Clark is hilarious.  I have no idea how Mitch made 177, after his career was over he would come to the Midlands and wrestle heavyweight - and do well. 

On 4/25/2020 at 6:17 PM, fadzaev2 said:

You're in reference to Joe Gonzales and Azevedo....and you are absolutely right....they called them the Gold Dust Twins.  In their last 2 years they had a combined record of 183-2.  Gonzo losing in the NCAA finals in  '79 to Gene Mills 16-13 in a barn burner, and Azevedo losing to Randy Lewis  the same year 20-14,  also in the finals.

Just wanted to take a sec to appreciate your contributions to this board. There are a lot of very smart posters here but you are a walking encyclopedia of wrestling and your stories & personal remembrances add a lot of color to the discussions. Thank you.

55 minutes ago, OR said:

I believe that Ohio University had another finalist this year as well, Shawn Enright at 134.

Yes!  OU was tough in the mid-late 90's and won the MAC four out of five years prior to Central Michigan's run.  Eric Kimble was also a beast at 134 and in the mid 90's and finished as a couple time AA.  Enright AA at 126 a couple times (including 4th as a true freshman) prior to moving up and losing to Ironside in the finals in 98.

4 hours ago, pamela said:

Just wanted to take a sec to appreciate your contributions to this board. There are a lot of very smart posters here but you are a walking encyclopedia of wrestling and your stories & personal remembrances add a lot of color to the discussions. Thank you.

Wow....thanks so much that means a lot to me....you made my day....We appreciate your posts on here as well.  Fadz

Edited by fadzaev2