Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pinnum

NCAA Denies Request to Drop Division I Sport Minimum

Recommended Posts

https://www.usnews.com/news/sports/articles/2020-04-24/ncaa-denies-request-to-drop-division-i-sport-minimum

There will undoubtedly be temporary measures that allow for relaxed requirements for D1 membership. 

You don’t “temporarily” drop sports. Which is what the G5 proposal claimed.  It was merely a ploy to allow them to keep spending in a football and basketball arms race.   

Temporary measures are changes like lowing scholarship offerings , changes to scheduling requirements, changes to qualification methods for national tournaments, and removing attendance requirements.   All things that can be done for a season while still operating a program before reverting back to the normal standards when the storm has passed.  
 

Dropping a program is a long term decision.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this where some fans will get their wish that the season gets shortened with more tournaments and more tri/quad meets. It would make sense in a cost cutting measure and IMO, I would like a shorter more compact season. 

My hope would be that AD's and admin will meet with teams for them to come up with solutions to cost cutting measures, starting endowments, etc.  This would be opposite of what Boise State did with their program. Kustra didn't even allow any discussion or opportunity for the program to self sustain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I believe it does allow for schools to drop on a case by case basis though.

No decision has been made on that.  There are always options available for waivers when there are unique situations but there is no blanket waiver being granted on this rule.  
 

I would think this means that the bar will be very high for a waiver.  Like you have to have shown that you were hard hit financially, have made deep cuts to every sport already, and have a plan for how it will be resolved in a year or two to be back in compliance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Is this where some fans will get their wish that the season gets shortened with more tournaments and more tri/quad meets. It would make sense in a cost cutting measure and IMO, I would like a shorter more compact season. 

My hope would be that AD's and admin will meet with teams for them to come up with solutions to cost cutting measures, starting endowments, etc.  This would be opposite of what Boise State did with their program. Kustra didn't even allow any discussion or opportunity for the program to self sustain. 

Possibly, but that’s not going to really move the needle.  You’re talking about saving $5k - $20k by removing some dates.  
 

If schools need real savings they are letting go of assistant coaches and not granting scholarships to incoming freshmen.   That will save hundreds of thousands.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I believe it does allow for schools to drop on a case by case basis though.

 

3 minutes ago, Pinnum said:

No decision has been made on that.  There are always options available for waivers when there are unique situations but there is no blanket waiver being granted on this rule.  
 

I would think this means that the bar will be very high for a waiver.  Like you have to have shown that you were hard hit financially, have made deep cuts to every sport already, and have a plan for how it will be resolved in a year or two to be back in compliance.

 

DI Council continues COVID-19 impact discussions

While several legislative changes will be considered for blanket waivers, the Council indicated that sport sponsorship minimums should be removed from that list. Schools still can request sport sponsorship requirement waivers on an individual basis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

 

DI Council continues COVID-19 impact discussions

While several legislative changes will be considered for blanket waivers, the Council indicated that sport sponsorship minimums should be removed from that list. Schools still can request sport sponsorship requirement waivers on an individual basis.

Schools have always been able to request waivers to rules on an individual basis.  

Though, I do not know of any instance where they have granted any exemptions to that rule. 

So this means there has been no change.  All the rules on minimum sponsorship remain unchanged. 

And by granting blanket waivers to other rules, they are providing a path forward for schools to not need a waiver to the minimum sport requirement.  

For instance, MAC schools spend a lot of money in marketing and promotion in trying to get people to show up for their games.  They spend this money not because it makes them money but because they need to average 15k fans to football games to remain D1.  

With the FBS attendance rule put on hold, schools can stop spending money to get people to show up.  That frees up money since they lose money doing that.  

Waivers would only be granted if schools had no other remedies available to them.  But now there are other remedies coming.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Pinnum said:

Possibly, but that’s not going to really move the needle.  You’re talking about saving $5k - $20k by removing some dates.  
 

If schools need real savings they are letting go of assistant coaches and not granting scholarships to incoming freshmen.   That will save hundreds of thousands.  

Yep - Might be looking at another 10% scholarship cut. Just to football with 85 it adds anywhere from 250k-600k.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pinnum said:

https://www.usnews.com/news/sports/articles/2020-04-24/ncaa-denies-request-to-drop-division-i-sport-minimum

There will undoubtedly be temporary measures that allow for relaxed requirements for D1 membership. 

You don’t “temporarily” drop sports. Which is what the G5 proposal claimed.  It was merely a ploy to allow them to keep spending in a football and basketball arms race.   

Temporary measures are changes like lowing scholarship offerings , changes to scheduling requirements, changes to qualification methods for national tournaments, and removing attendance requirements.   All things that can be done for a season while still operating a program before reverting back to the normal standards when the storm has passed.  
 

Dropping a program is a long term decision.  

 

Great news by the NCAA. This is a huge relief for many D I Olympic sport coaches. Now hopefully Mike Moyer was correct and there will be chances to add D I programs if the NCAA model changes like it might during the pandemic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Idaho said:

Is this where some fans will get their wish that the season gets shortened with more tournaments and more tri/quad meets. It would make sense in a cost cutting measure and IMO, I would like a shorter more compact season. 

My hope would be that AD's and admin will meet with teams for them to come up with solutions to cost cutting measures, starting endowments, etc.  This would be opposite of what Boise State did with their program. Kustra didn't even allow any discussion or opportunity for the program to self sustain. 

Yep - the two-faced jerk who IS/was Bob Kustra just summarily said "you're done".  At the same time that the first year Boise State wrestling coaches were hosting about a half a dozen wrestling recruits. No notice, no warning, no reason cites, and most of all................NO CLASS.........KUSTRA.   I suggest that he be referred to from now on as  NO CLASS KUSTRA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Pinnum said:

https://www.usnews.com/news/sports/articles/2020-04-24/ncaa-denies-request-to-drop-division-i-sport-minimum

There will undoubtedly be temporary measures that allow for relaxed requirements for D1 membership. 

You don’t “temporarily” drop sports. Which is what the G5 proposal claimed.  It was merely a ploy to allow them to keep spending in a football and basketball arms race.   

Temporary measures are changes like lowing scholarship offerings , changes to scheduling requirements, changes to qualification methods for national tournaments, and removing attendance requirements.   All things that can be done for a season while still operating a program before reverting back to the normal standards when the storm has passed.  
 

Dropping a program is a long term decision.  

 

Your animus towards the smaller schools who are struggling to compete against the monopolistic five conferences is curious.   I would imagine if you were living in the time of Goliath that you would be among the crowd cheering Goliath on against David.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Your animus towards the smaller schools who are struggling to compete against the monopolistic five conferences is curious.   I would imagine if you were living in the time of Goliath that you would be among the crowd cheering Goliath on against David.

This is a curious comment as I have heard for a long time from people claiming that I hate the big schools and try to hamper them in an attempt to make the smaller schools able to compete.  

The reality is that I simply want uniform policies applied to all schools uniformly based on the intent of the original written NCAA bylaws.  

Let the schools and teams finish where they may.  

Is it fair to say that you weren’t only a Boise State wrestling fan but are a football fan that wants them to be able to drop more sports like wrestling to be able to continue to pour money into their football program?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bronco said:

Yep - the two-faced jerk who IS/was Bob Kustra just summarily said "you're done".  At the same time that the first year Boise State wrestling coaches were hosting about a half a dozen wrestling recruits. No notice, no warning, no reason cites, and most of all................NO CLASS.........KUSTRA.   I suggest that he be referred to from now on as  NO CLASS KUSTRA.

Yep no disagreement here. I would ad that he then became the head guy of the idaho statesman editorial board. Hmmmmmm....now he can continue to be the Idaho statesman golden boy and make sure nothing negative ever comes out about him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...