moveurfeet32

Best HS State Tournament Champs ever?

On 4/25/2020 at 9:37 PM, Mokoma said:

Probably not PA’s best but in 1995 PA had Jeremy Hunter, Teague Moore and Mark Angle back to back to back plus Vertus Jones.

Those three were brutal. 

Funny, I would say that in HS the rank order would have been Angle, Hunter, Teague. Post-HS accomplishments - Teague, Hunter, Angle. 

10 hours ago, DIWalkOn said:

Those three were brutal. 

Funny, I would say that in HS the rank order would have been Angle, Hunter, Teague. Post-HS accomplishments - Teague, Hunter, Angle. 

Huh?  Hunter was clearly the best of those 3 in HS.  4 x champ with 2 career losses.  Angle won 1 title in HS.  Teague won 2.  

I would argue Hunter was the best in college as well.  Better overall record and 2x finalist.  

21 minutes ago, tightwaist said:

Huh?  Hunter was clearly the best of those 3 in HS.  4 x champ with 2 career losses.  Angle won 1 title in HS.  Teague won 2.  

I would argue Hunter was the best in college as well.  Better overall record and 2x finalist.  

I would rank Hunter #1 in both as well, but wasn’t Angle hurt most of his high school career.

If just comparing senior Angle to senior Hunter I can believe someone taking Angle, he was a monster.

Okay I just did some research as I can’t remember what happened to Mark Angle just that he was hurt.  He finished his HS career 113-4, going into PIAA states undefeated all 3 years he competed.  As a freshman he took 2 losses to seniors and finished 4th.  As a sophomore he pinned his first opponent and then defaulted in 2nd period of his quarter final and forfeited in consis.  As a junior he did not compete the entire season.  Can someone remember if this was from the injury at states as a sophomore?  My recollection is that it was.

As a senior he was a dominant undefeated champion.  I’ve got no problem listing Hunter #1 of those 3, but Mark was a beast and especially if just considering level at graduation, leaning Mark 1 is not an insult to Hunter.

1 hour ago, Mokoma said:

http://www.wash-greenesportshall.org/2016/angle.htm

Here Angle is listed at 148-3, so maybe he did wrestle most of his junior year, but missed post season?  Interesting they do not count the 2nd loss by forfeit at states his sophomore year.

Check out his stats though!  Man was he impressive.

Angle was a beast for sure.  I don’t remember what happened his Jr. year.  PA-Wrestling.com lists his record at 113-4, with no stats his Jr year, but this link below shows he won 4 WPIAL titles.  He also won several JR Freestyle titles, so maybe that is what the poster was thinking of.

Interesting to see all of the talent from his High School Canon Mac.  NCAA Champs and many AA’s.  

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cmwrestlingalumni.com/blog/mat-madness-2018-and-your-winner-%3Fformat%3Damp

On 4/25/2020 at 7:17 PM, moveurfeet32 said:

These 2006 NJ State Champs are just awesome! 4 Future NCAA Champs and 2 Olympic Team members. What States can beat that? I'm sure Pennsylvania must have some that are right there. I don't think any State can match the 4 in the middle. Can you name these guys?

Image may contain: 15 people

That's a whole lot of ugly for a single picture.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Again with "states". It's "STATES". not "states".

Not out this way. NJ/Pa- StateS (fify)

And this is from the official NJSIAA page-

States Regulations

Edited by gimpeltf

9 hours ago, tightwaist said:

Not saying you are wrong. And, not necessarily going on HS stats. But, growing up with those guys, and routinely competing against two of them, my recollection is that kids of our age viewed Teague as great (but Ty was more of the name in that family), and Hunter was a relentless monster, but Angle was untouchable. Just my recollection of how my friends and I felt at the time. 

Biased because it was my year but NY 2005 the group of 15 D1 champs (14 if you don't include 96lbs) went on to some amazing things:

NCAA Champs:

Nickerson, O'Conner, Gillespie

UFC Champ:

John Jones

Superbowl Champ:

Art Jones

All Americans:

Ruggeriello, Alton Lucas

UFC/D3 All American/D1 All Conference

Chris Wade

D1 multiple time Conference champ

Ed Bordas

D1 Conference place winners:

Ausitn Meys, Ryan Patrovich (at one point was ranked first in D1)

Overall studs but didn't continue

Tom Magnani (Senior National AA), Ricky Scott (Senior Nationals 3rd beat NCAA Champ Jay Borschel along the way)

Edited by Bearcat09

2 hours ago, Bearcat09 said:

Biased because it was my year but NY 2005 the group of 15 D1 champs (14 if you don't include 96lbs) went on to some amazing things:

NCAA Champs:

Nickerson, O'Conner, Gillespie

UFC Champ:

John Jones

Superbowl Champ:

Art Jones

All Americans:

Ruggeriello, Alton Lucas

UFC/D3 All American/D1 All Conference

Chris Wade

D1 multiple time Conference champ

Ed Bordas

D1 Conference place winners:

Ausitn Meys, Ryan Patrovich (at one point was ranked first in D1)

Overall studs but didn't continue

Tom Magnani (Senior National AA), Ricky Scott (Senior Nationals 3rd beat NCAA Champ Jay Borschel along the way)

Jon Jones was also a JUCO champ