Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Cal Poly's Matt Wilhelm

Does ANYONE know what his situation is at this point?  He is STILL listed on Cal Poly's roster yet he has not competed - at all - since the 2018 PAC 12 tournament where he lost 9-4 to Kordell Norfleet of Arizona State and beat the 2019 PAC 12 champion Bob Coleman of Oregon State (6-2) at 184 lbs.  It appears as if he did not compete AT ALL during the 2018-2019 season and did not compete at all during the 2019-2020 season either.  Yet he is STILL on the Cal Poly roster?

11 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

Was still on roster, but has not competed in quite some time. That’s as much as I could gather from a teammate. Has been to practice, hasn’t been in sanctioned competition. 

Well thanks for that response.  I appreciate it.

41 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Well thanks for that response.  I appreciate it.

Could be a injury/ illness.Have seen in the past  where kids stay on rosters and act as a team manager

Edited by calot

2 hours ago, calot said:

Could be a injury/ illness.Have seen in the past  where kids stay on rosters and act as a team manager

Maybe you've seen it but I've never seen a case where a guy remains on a wrestling team's roster for TWO full years without wrestling even ONE time.   I only asked about him initially because I wondered if he was finally going to return to the Cal Poly lineup for 2021.

22 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Maybe you've seen it but I've never seen a case where a guy remains on a wrestling team's roster for TWO full years without wrestling even ONE time.   I only asked about him initially because I wondered if he was finally going to return to the Cal Poly lineup for 2021.

Yes I have seen it recently actually.Wont name the school or athlete but was a kid who had  Cancer he was  left on the roster for 2 years while he finished school.He is currently in remission

Edited by calot

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

Eric Hess and Austin Meys, Lehigh simultaneously were on the roster multiple years without being able to wrestle.

I don't know if they were on the OPC back then but they were listed and maintained their scholarships- and as part of 9.9.

2 hours ago, Bronco said:

I can't say that I've looked for it, but I've seen tons of cases where the only matches wrestled were in the open tournament hosted on their home mat.

......I walked on, got 5 matches in 3 seasons..... in a MAC program 40 years ago......I wanted to be a part of the team to learn more because I wanted to coach after graduation.... I enjoyed every minute of it....!!!

On 4/25/2020 at 3:32 PM, Bronco said:

Does ANYONE know what his situation is at this point?  He is STILL listed on Cal Poly's roster yet he has not competed - at all - since the 2018 PAC 12 tournament where he lost 9-4 to Kordell Norfleet of Arizona State and beat the 2019 PAC 12 champion Bob Coleman of Oregon State (6-2) at 184 lbs.  It appears as if he did not compete AT ALL during the 2018-2019 season and did not compete at all during the 2019-2020 season either.  Yet he is STILL on the Cal Poly roster?

Had no idea he was still wrestling, his brother was 3x D3 AA and I believe he has the most career wins for Stevens  Institute..both from the same high school as Frank Molinaro...Did he qualify in 2018?

9 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Had no idea he was still wrestling, his brother was 3x D3 AA and I believe he has the most career wins for Stevens  Institute..both from the same high school as Frank Molinaro...Did he qualify in 2018?

Cal Poly had only 2 qualifiers in 2018 - that being Colton Schilling and Tom Lane.

https://www.gopoly.com/sports/wrest/2017-18/releases/20180313t7cyub

19 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Eric Hess and Austin Meys, Lehigh simultaneously were on the roster multiple years without being able to wrestle.

I don't know if they were on the OPC back then but they were listed and maintained their scholarships- and as part of 9.9.

Gimp - 

Are you talking about Austin Meys from NY?

I'd like to think I stay pretty up to date on most wrestling news but for some reason, I don't remember hearing/reading anything about what happened to him and his brother, Hunter. 

What happened with them?

Those guys were STRONG, even as teenagers.

2 hours ago, Cementmixer103 said:

Gimp - 

Are you talking about Austin Meys from NY?

I'd like to think I stay pretty up to date on most wrestling news but for some reason, I don't remember hearing/reading anything about what happened to him and his brother, Hunter. 

What happened with them?

Those guys were STRONG, even as teenagers.

Yes.

No idea about Hunter.

Hess (I know you didn't ask) found out he had cancer right after NHSCAs his senior year. He took a year off to do chemo. Red-shirted his first year at Lehigh and did well. But the next year as the starter found that the chemicals lowered his ability to  process oxygen and he had to stop wrestling.

Austin folded one too many frying pans (actually true although not the cause of the problem- he folded up one at the apartment which turned out to have been a gift to the other wrestler from his mother).  He came down with a nerve disorder in his legs. I believe it happened late sophomore year and lasted a couple years. He did wrestle another bout or two afterwards but he wasn't the same.