Jump to content
hammerlockthree

Best Never to Win Hodge?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, hammerlockthree said:

Twist on a common obviously we have to be in the Hodge Era, so post 1995.

I'll throw out Nolf, McIlravy, Varner, Kolat...there are the winners for reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Hodge_Trophy

I’d say Nolf has probably been the most dominant for a career, likely for the season as well. He had a good case twice.

Some others to consider are Snyder and Cox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

I’d say Nolf has probably been the most dominant for a career, likely for the season as well. He had a good case twice.

Some others to consider are Snyder and Cox.

You might be doing the Flo thing and showing insane recency bias...but frankly I love Nolf and think he should have gotten it over Nickal so I can't really argue. 

Edited by hammerlockthree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hammerlockthree said:

You might be doing the Flo thing and showing insane recency bias...but frankly I love Nold and think he should have gotten it over Nickal so I can't really argue. 

Oh I liked Nickal over Nolf for sure.  Nickal had more pins and was more dominant as a senior.  He also didn’t almost lose at NCAA.  It was an easy decision.  But if you’re just saying best wrestler (when career is important), then Nolf would be my choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mokoma said:

Oh I liked Nickal over Nolf for sure.  Nickal had more pins and was more dominant as a senior.  He also didn’t almost lose at NCAA.  It was an easy decision.  But if you’re just saying best wrestler (when career is important), then Nolf would be my choice.

I don't think bo would be as dominant as Smyder at heavy. At heavy I also see bo taking a few losses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mokoma said:

Oh I liked Nickal over Nolf for sure.  Nickal had more pins and was more dominant as a senior.  He also didn’t almost lose at NCAA.  It was an easy decision.  But if you’re just saying best wrestler (when career is important), then Nolf would be my choice.

Yeah I just think Nolf is a better wrestler. I am basically taking the whole career in when I say that. Beat better guys, at a deeper weight, strolled through NCAAs with one leg....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Certainly Snder.  If you count College and international while in college.  Snder wrested much bigger guys who he couldn't pin. But he tech many.

You may think he did, but he never had more than 5 techs in a season and only 17 for his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shieldofpistis said:

I don't think bo would be as dominant as Smyder at heavy. At heavy I also see bo taking a few losses. 

Snyder also lost as a senior so I don’t know where you’re going with this.  His sophomore year he only won 11 matches.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mokoma said:

You may think he did, but he never had more than 5 techs in a season and only 17 for his career.

Yeah but he wasn't training folk or wrestling anywhere near a full schedule....he was walking on the mat jet lagged after getting back from yarygin.

His senior year schedule was an amazing undertaking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Yeah I just think Nolf is a better wrestler. I am basically taking the whole career in when I say that. Beat better guys, at a deeper weight, strolled through NCAAs with one leg....

You may think that.  I disagree.  Nolf is lucky Pico decided to forego college.  One of he or Retherford would likely only have been a 1 time champ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hammerlockthree said:

Yeah but he wasn't training folk or wrestling anywhere near a full schedule....he was walking on the mat jet lagged after getting back from yarygin.

His senior year schedule was an amazing undertaking. 

I know, but he took a loss.  So it’s hard to say it was a hodge worthy season.  And yes I realize there have been winners that have lost.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mokoma said:

You may think that.  I disagree.  Nolf is lucky Pico decided to forego college.  One of he or Retherford would likely only have been a 1 time champ.

Yeah well Pico is lucky some athlete out there who never wrestled didn't decide to wrestle and kick his butt. 

Thats just as valid an argument as what you said.

Edited by hammerlockthree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hammerlockthree said:

Yeah well Pico is ready some athlete out there who never wrestled didn't decide to wrestle and kick his butt. 

Thats just as valid an argument as what you said.

What?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hammerlockthree said:

I don't think he shoulda got it either but there is an argument to be made....

If you’re just saying who’s the best college wrestler to never win the hodge, I agree Snyder is in the conversation, hence why I suggested him lol.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The question is who was the runner up each year and how good were they? How many other years would they have been the Hodge pick. I think Nolf’s senior year stacks up well. For example if Nolf’s senior year had been this year I think he would get the nod over Lee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mokoma said:

You may think that.  I disagree.  Nolf is lucky Pico decided to forego college.  One of he or Retherford would likely only have been a 1 time champ.

Snyder was the pound per pound best for 3 years. I think the mostly decorated wrestler should have gotten at least one hodge.  

Junior world gold, world champ, olympic gold.  Then wrestles guys much bigger in college.  I think snyder was a once in a generation talent when in college.  Unfortunately I think he peaked and the tank is better. But I'm speaking accomplishments in college.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...