Sign in to follow this  
BuckyBadger

Russian/Soviet wrestlers from outside the Caucasus region

It has been mentioned a number of times on this forum how strong the Caucasus region is for wrestling.  The area containing regions like Dagestan, Ossetia, Chechnya etc and other countries like Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan.

If you look at world and Olympic teams for either Russia or the Soviet Union, the vast majority come from this region.

What notable Russia/Soviets came from other areas?

I’m guessing Karelin, Medved, the Beloglasovs?

some of the Russian Republics in Siberia around Mongolia produce some very good wrestlers. Viktor Lebedev was from Yakutia (aka the Sakha Republic). Aleksander Bogomoev is from the Republic of Buryatia, and Opan Sat (now Cengizhan Erdogan) is from Tuva, now competing for Turkey. Artas Sanaa, now Nurislam Sanayev, is also from Tuva and competes for Kazakstan. Nachyn Kuular is Tuvan but still competes for Russia. all the above mentioned are Russian citizens but not Russian nationals. Igor Ovsiannikov, Yuri Belonovski, Nikita Suchkov and Pavel Krivtsov are, I believe, Russian nationals (ie ethnic Russians). I think Ovsiannikov, Belonovski and Suchkov are from Krasnodar and Krivtsov is from Moscow, altho I'm not positive.  

Dunduk-ool, Tuva; Sharastepanov, Buryatia; Tyutrin & Rassadin, Yakutia; are some other Siberia non-Russians that are solid. 

Karabdino-Balkaria also produces some studs from the North Caucasus, Aniur Geduev and Anzor Urishev chief among them. 

Where are the Beloglasov brothers from? Wikipedia says they were born in Kaliningrad, but that was most likely due to the Soviet policy of moving people around to different territories, not necessarily their background.

24 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

Where are the Beloglasov brothers from? Wikipedia says they were born in Kaliningrad, but that was most likely due to the Soviet policy of moving people around to different territories, not necessarily their background.

Ukraine. I believe they moved to Moscow later to train though.

I have this backwards. Sergei always said he was from Kiev but I see he moved there later. He was born in Kalinngrad where he was coached by Granit Taropin. Granit moved to Kiev just before Sergei hit the big time. I guess Sergei moved with him.

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Some time ago,a poster(quicksingle?) pointed out that over 80% of world medals are won by people who live within a few hundred miles of the Caspian Sea.

I mapped where all the Rio Olympians came from a few years ago. hometowns of world medals will be generally similar in any given year. https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5055584-rio-wrestling-medalists-maps-from-whence-they-came

2 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

I mapped where all the Rio Olympians came from a few years ago. hometowns of world medals will be generally similar in any given year. https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5055584-rio-wrestling-medalists-maps-from-whence-they-came

Only considering MFS,  I think he was spot on.   Those maps are interesting.  Thanks

5 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Chadan, Tuva - not far from where Russia, Mongolia, Kazakhstan and China all meet. 

I went back and reread the OP and saw that.  Maybe I'm confusing him with somebody else, there was somebody pretty good from Vladivostock, I just don't remember who it was. 

10 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Fascinating analysis.  Interesting that the western side of Caspian sea is so loaded with wrestlers, but the eastern side is not.

Interesting trivia:  Caspian Sea is actually a lake!  It's the biggest lake in the world!

32 minutes ago, irani said:

Fascinating analysis.  Interesting that the western side of Caspian sea is so loaded with wrestlers, but the eastern side is not.

Interesting trivia:  Caspian Sea is actually a lake!  It's the biggest lake in the world!

The eastern side isn't that populated.  On the eastern side there are several major cities. The western side, there really isn't anything major going on. 

3 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

The eastern side isn't that populated.  On the eastern side there are several major cities. The western side, there really isn't anything major going on. 

I think you meant the western side has several major cities, and the easern side there isn't much going on.

That is a fair point, except most of the wrestlers on the western side seem to be from small villages.

On 4/27/2020 at 8:46 PM, irani said:

I think you meant the western side has several major cities, and the easern side there isn't much going on.

That is a fair point, except most of the wrestlers on the western side seem to be from small villages.

I got that confused. Dyslexia strikes again.  The biggest city on the western side I believe is Baku. Eastern side, it's probably Kusek which is where Borat comes from.  Probably anyway.  

2 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

I got that confused. Dyslexia strikes again.  The biggest city on the western side I believe is Baku. Eastern side, it's probably Kusek which is where Borat comes from.  Probably anyway.  

Speaking of Borat, did you see this from a few years ago?  A kazak athlete won gold in a competition in Kuwait, and they played the National Anthem from the Borat movie by mistake

18 minutes ago, irani said:

Speaking of Borat, did you see this from a few years ago?  A kazak athlete won gold in a competition in Kuwait, and they played the National Anthem from the Borat movie by mistak

They were lucky the reaction wasn't worse. It was a shooting competition.

6 hours ago, irani said:

Speaking of Borat, did you see this from a few years ago?  A kazak athlete won gold in a competition in Kuwait, and they played the National Anthem from the Borat movie by mistake

Iran must be jealous over their lack of potassium or their prostitutes being lesser than both Kazakhstan's and Turkmenistan's. 

35 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Iran must be jealous over their lack of potassium or their prostitutes being lesser than both Kazakhstan's and Turkmenistan's. 

Not just Iran, but every country. 

But also, you misunderstood what their claim is.  Their prostitutes are the cleanest in the region except of course Turkmenistan.  So Turkmenistan is the gold standard here, not Kazakhstan. 

14 minutes ago, irani said:

Not just Iran, but every country. 

But also, you misunderstood what their claim is.  Their prostitutes are the cleanest in the region except of course Turkmenistan.  So Turkmenistan is the gold standard here, not Kazakhstan. 

Iran's running of the Jew is probably superior though. Probably have like fireworks and stuff.  

25 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Iran's running of the Jew is probably superior though. Probably have like fireworks and stuff.  

Not sure if you are attempting to be funny, or if you have something to say here, but I don't have a response.  Enjoy your day.

50 minutes ago, irani said:

Not sure if you are attempting to be funny, or if you have something to say here, but I don't have a response.  Enjoy your day.

I was just making fun of the movie and comparing it to Iran's politics being very similar at that time period.