Sign in to follow this  
jackwebster

Iranian singlet: "Marine" logo

Why do Iranian singlets have a "Marine" logo. I posted this in the college forum, and someone pointed out that the logo is in the affiliation spot. So, it's probably not a brand logo. Anybody know what it means?

It is an ad.  'Marine' is a transliteration of a large candy company in Iran. They are known for their production of a morsel with a chocolate outside and a sour inside.  Sort of a chocolate covered sour punch. It is tradional for Iranian wrestlers to treat themselves with a Marine after mKinv weight.

8 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

It is an ad.  'Marine' is a transliteration of a large candy company in Iran. They are known for their production of a morsel with a chocolate outside and a sour inside.  Sort of a chocolate covered sour punch. It is traditional for Iranian wrestlers to treat themselves with a Marine after mKinv weight.

Holly Crap, how the hell do you know this?  I don't even know if it's true, but I am impressed!

19 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

I was a backp on the Iranian national team in the early 90s

That’s so cool!!

Btw I was the one who incorrectly thought the Marine mark wasn’t a sponsor. Idk if the UWW changed or loosened its singlet guidelines but I thought one lapel on “official” international singlets was the athlete’s flag, and the opposite lapel was an optional affiliation mark (like a club or region) or manufacturer’s brand mark - with sponsor names or logos going on the leg, belly and back areas.

22 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Am I being trolled? :)

I am not Iranian, much less world class.   I conjured up the silliest, most frivolous thing 'Marine' could possibly be and went with it.  I assumed some people would get a slight chuckle and move on.

Your first response was so ridiculous it was credible, I bought it.

Your second post gave it away

On 4/27/2020 at 10:10 AM, jackwebster said:

Why do Iranian singlets have a "Marine" logo. I posted this in the college forum, and someone pointed out that the logo is in the affiliation spot. So, it's probably not a brand logo. Anybody know what it means?

Let's ask the encyclopedia of Iranian wrestling. @wrestfan  Also @Shiraz123 or @The Genius might know the true answer

12 minutes ago, irani said:

Let's ask the encyclopedia of Iranian wrestling. @wrestfan  Also @Shiraz123 or @The Genius might know the true answer

Plasmodium gaslighted (sp?) me.  I initially fell for it bc either I'm sorta slow or I was excited to receive a response or both. I have posted this question several times over the years, and no one has ever responded. I started to think I was imagining things. So, I find a jpeg and zoom in on the logo just to make sure. Over and over. 

Edited by jackwebster

1 minute ago, jackwebster said:

Plasmodium gaslighted (sp?) me.  I initially fell for it bc either I'm sorta slow or I was excited to receive a response or both. I have posted this question several times over the years and no one has ever responded. I started to think I was imagining things. So, I find a jpeg and zoom in on the logo just to make sure. Over and over. 

I fell for it too, but then again, I never claimed to be smart :)

I am hoping one of the three guys I asked will put your question to rest!

12 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Man, I wish I hadn't said I was an Iranian wrestler.  This would have been epic.

You blew it, man.  In 3 months, you could have started an on line business selling Marine candy, the favorite of Iranian Wrestlers .

members of this forum alone would have bought enough o set you up financially for life.

What a missed opportunity!

Edited by irani

I would have bought Plasodium's marine candy :(

Anyway, I Googled around and am guessing that Marin or Marine is a manufacturer of Iran's world team's singlets (similar to Nike, Asics, Merooj, etc.) - it seems to come up on a few online shopping sites with both spellings

https://google.com/search?q=دوبنده+کشتی+مارین

5d3aOJ2.jpg

Edited by pamela

18 minutes ago, pamela said:

I would have bought Plasodium's marine candy :(

The main had multi million dollar idea and blew it :)

20 minutes ago, pamela said:

Anyway, I Googled around and am guessing that Marin or Marine is a manufacturer of Iran's world team's singlets (similar to Nike, Asics, Merooj, etc.) - it seems to come up on a few online shopping sites with both spellings

https://google.com/search?q=دوبنده+کشتی+مارین

5d3aOJ2.jpg

@pamelaI consider my google and bing skills legendary, but you pinned me on this one.  The idea to do the search in Persian instead of in English is brilliant!  well done!

27 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

LOL WHOA, WHOA, WHOA!  Why am I not copied on this?  

Because you showed poor business judgement by blowing a great business opportunity.  Pamela and I have discussed this, and we don't want you involved in our new business venture.:)

6 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

A business needs creativity.  Chocolate covered sour punch morsels are my wheelhouse!

You make a valid point.  Let me bring it up at the next board meeting.  At this point, it is out of my hands.

Edited by irani