fadzaev2

How many NCAA Champions and All-Americans??

Everybody knows there are four 4 time NCAA Champions and can name them, but tonight I had a couple related questions in my mind, so I did a little research......I think I'm accurate.....

My first question was how many 3 time NCAA Champions are there....I came up with 52.

My second question came to mind due to a story that happened a long time ago.   We had a wrestler who was upset in the semi-finals of the NCAA tournament, he was undefeated, and took it really hard.  Hard enough he didn't care that much about making weight for the next day......I was with him, helping him get the wt. off, and it was coming off slow...the sauna was broken, and no one was able to use it.  It was Friday night, and the weigh-in was within a 1/2 hour of closing, and he was having a hard time...he was already a 3 time all american, and I said more than once....."do you realize you have a chance to be a 4 time all-american....there aren't that many of them!!!!"  With maybe 15 minutes left....we were the last 2 there beside the men at the scales....John Graham was one of them, if I remember right.  I kept playing with the sauna, and finally it came on.  The last 1/2 pound came off....he made weight and wrestled back the next day to become a 4 time all-american.  As of that tournament, there were only 35 four time all-americans.  Today, I just figured it out there are now 155 four time all-americans.  The most was in 2018 (8)....there's been 7 three times.

http://d1collegewrestling.net/Honors_4xAA.html

This is only updated through 2017 but I think I counted 135 four time all americans.  I counted quickly though so maybe someone can recount.  Need to add 2018, 2019 and 2020 so 155 seems a few high but I could be wrong.

52 three time champs seems high.  There was 26 through 2017 and there has only been 6-8 more since then I think?

12 hours ago, Mokoma said:

http://d1collegewrestling.net/Honors_4xAA.html

This is only updated through 2017 but I think I counted 135 four time all americans.  I counted quickly though so maybe someone can recount.  Need to add 2018, 2019 and 2020 so 155 seems a few high but I could be wrong.

52 three time champs seems high.  There was 26 through 2017 and there has only been 6-8 more since then I think?

I used the same source for 4 time all-americans, and I got 138 thru 2017,  8 for 2018, 5 for 2019, and 4 for 2020 based on the "named" all-americans.  I had maybe 3 sources for 3 time NCAA Champions, and came up with different numbers a couple of times, but I'll go with 48 as my final answer using this years NCAA program for my source.

49829645996_54a65c4fdc_c.jpg

49829119648_105a12092e_c.jpg

Edited by fadzaev2

4 minutes ago, GockeS said:

you would still need to make weight i believe on the last day to claim your AA status

They didn't have to make weight in MInneapolis this year!!!!  They made weight with social distancing....LOL

Edited by fadzaev2

12 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Depends how far back. If this was in the 60s it might only have been 4 places.

But 3 day weigh-ins are very recent, when there are 8 AAs so a semi-finalist is automatically an AA. Even if he missed weight I think he would just forfeit out to 6th place. 

19 minutes ago, novalion said:

But 3 day weigh-ins are very recent, when there are 8 AAs so a semi-finalist is automatically an AA. Even if he missed weight I think he would just forfeit out to 6th place. 

Not sure what you're trying to say. First, barring a med forfeit situation, you have to make weight each day to place. As far as I remember, they always made weight every day. (possibly weigh-outs some years). But the point of my post was that fadzaev said that his story was from some time ago. So if it was far enough back, the semi-loser still had to win the cons-semi to place.

Coming into this season, there were 147 four-time All-Americans in the University/Division I championship history. 

There are 20 four-time University/Division I finalists. 

There were 48 three-time University/Division I champions coming into this season. 

2 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

I used the same source for 4 time all-americans, and I got 138 thru 2017,  8 for 2018, 5 for 2019, and 4 for 2020 based on the "named" all-americans.  I had maybe 3 sources for 3 time NCAA Champions, and came up with different numbers a couple of times, but I'll go with 48 as my final answer using this years NCAA program for my source.

49829645996_54a65c4fdc_c.jpg

I'm counting 6 in 2018 with 1. Tomasello (1,3,3,3) 2. Retherford (5,1,1,1) 3. Sorenson (4,2,3,5) 4. Martinez (1,1,2,2) 5. Jordan (3,3,2,5) 6. Snyder (2,1,1,1)

6 in 2019 with 1. Ashnault (8,4,6,1) 2. Nolf (2,1,1,1) 3.Lewis (4,6,4,4) 4. Martin (1,5,2,3) 5. Miklus (7,6,8,6) 6. Nickal (2,1,1,1)

5 in 2020 with 1. Kolodzik (7,3,5,AA) 2. Joseph (1,1,2,AA) 3. McFadden (6,5,5,AA) 4. Hall (1,2,2,AA) 5. Moore (3,4,2,AA). This class could have also had Micic, Eierman, and Amine had it not been for ORS; as well as Valencia had he not gotten into trouble.

You got it!.....I had Ashnault one year early, was thinking Heil placed a fourth time...that takes care of 2018, and also 2019 when you moved Ashnault there.   Unbelievably I missed Vincenzo Joseph for 2020....MY BAD!!   That takes care of the 4 time all-americans then....thanks for the help.....now if we could only find the vaccine for Covid19.

4 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Not sure what you're trying to say. First, barring a med forfeit situation, you have to make weight each day to place. As far as I remember, they always made weight every day. (possibly weigh-outs some years). But the point of my post was that fadzaev said that his story was from some time ago. So if it was far enough back, the semi-loser still had to win the cons-semi to place.

Joe LeBlanc was DQ'd for not making weight on day three his JR year in Philadelphia, but was given a pass to be honored as an AA.  Apparently, there was an issue with the check scale being different than the official scales. Wyoming lost team points as a result of the DQ, but LeBlanc still appeared on the podium to collect his AA honor (which to my understanding deviated from rules at the time). 

https://trib.com/sports/weighty-issue-leblanc-dq-d-for-missing-weight/article_e8e2446f-9e1d-5dfd-b57d-88c346ff608d.html

https://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/onufer-finishes-th-and-leblanc-th/article_2a251160-707a-5ffe-aa9f-f8ae350fdc72.html

2 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

You got it!.....I had Ashnault one year early, was thinking Heil placed a fourth time...that takes care of 2018, and also 2019 when you moved Ashnault there.   Unbelievably I missed Vincenzo Joseph for 2020....MY BAD!!   That takes care of the 4 time all-americans then....thanks for the help.....now if we could only find the vaccine for Covid19.

I always seem to count Heil as well. There's been (3) 2x champs in the past decade that failed to place their last year of competition. McDonough went (1,2,1,R12), Delgado went (7,1,1,INJ), and Heil went (4,1,1,R12). In the case of McD and Delgado, it is well known that they dealt with injuries; Heil had a tough year due to the application of the DZ.

8 hours ago, novalion said:

The "make weight once" thing was very short lived, I think.  That was the year when we had the three deaths.  Weigh-in procedures got a lot more strict following the deaths.

It had been every day prior to that year, as well as since.  

... and actually that year, was probably changed to three day weigh-ins.

Edited by AHamilton

If you miss weight, you lose points. You can medically default out prior to the weigh in and maintain everything you've earned up to that point, since you didn't miss weight as you were no longer in the tournament.