Sign in to follow this  
Class

HWC and the women

What is the story here?  Interview from Alli Ragan states that the females were told funding ended this Summer.  Seems to contradict a lot of interviews from HWC leadership stating that funding was a 0% factor in the Perry departure and previously speculated (perhaps now confirmed) departure of their females.

Maybe a theory is that the club is anticipating a slew of new athletes from the senior class next year.  Lee, Marinelli, Kemerer and Desanto all could possibly be considering wrestling beyond college 

3 hours ago, Class said:

Maybe a theory is that the club is anticipating a slew of new athletes from the senior class next year.  Lee, Marinelli, Kemerer and Desanto all could possibly be considering wrestling beyond college 

Lee is only one that realistically would make a world team out of that group, they had 3 4 different women with a shot at making a team or that already had made teams, I’m sure the truth will come out eventually 

4 hours ago, RegularStalling said:

Seems like a very, very odd situation over at HWC. If it is indeed true that they needed to cut funding, then NLWC may be the only functional senior level organization.. 

Does NLWC have any female athletes?

It is obvious, HWC is trimming fat for more funding for male athletes to bolster the NCAA program.

https://www.trackwrestling.com/PortalPost.jsp?postId=779540135

“We are not cutting funding,” he said. “As a matter of fact, we have an unlimited budget, meaning whatever’s best for our women and whatever’s best for our Hawkeye Wrestling Club is what we’re going to do."

This is hard to square with Ragan's comments.

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

https://www.trackwrestling.com/PortalPost.jsp?postId=779540135

“We are not cutting funding,” he said. “As a matter of fact, we have an unlimited budget, meaning whatever’s best for our women and whatever’s best for our Hawkeye Wrestling Club is what we’re going to do."

This is hard to square with Ragan's comments.

The  is some miscommunication happening between the folks who were forced out and the guy who is offering them whatever they need to stay.

7 hours ago, Boompa said:

Does NLWC have any female athletes?

It is obvious, HWC is trimming fat for more funding for male athletes to bolster the NCAA program.

The only way to compete long-term with PSU/NLWC is to retain as much talent as possible for coaching, workouts, etc. To do this, a club such as HWC needs to allocate as much funding as possible to as much talent as possible for appropriate scaling. One approach is cutting unnecessary costs that do not directly contribute to NCAA titles such as women's wrestling. It is a shrewd move that is quite antithetical to the wrestling community at large, but Iowa is interested first and foremost in winning NCAA titles.

This approach is similar to what a start-up company does when it evolves into a fortune 500, and then decides to go for it and become a a behemoth industry leader. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But it always leaves a messy trail behind.

Or, this is my opinion at least...

That’s too bad about the HWC. To Brands' credit he was not only building a strong WFS roster for the club; he also advocated for women's college wrestling and positioned the program well to be a destination for D1 WW.

Not sure where Alli, Forrest, Kayla etc. are planning to go but maybe AG can get something started at the California RTC, esp since there’s some legacy of women wrestling at Stanford and the parent institution has money to support the college team. Maybe an opportunity to piggyback a little bit.

Edited by pamela

32 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

The only way to compete long-term with PSU/NLWC is to retain as much talent as possible for coaching, workouts, etc. To do this, a club such as HWC needs to allocate as much funding as possible to as much talent as possible for appropriate scaling. One approach is cutting unnecessary costs that do not directly contribute to NCAA titles such as women's wrestling. It is a shrewd move that is quite antithetical to the wrestling community at large, but Iowa is interested first and foremost in winning NCAA titles.

This approach is similar to what a start-up company does when it evolves into a fortune 500, and then decides to go for it and become a a behemoth industry leader. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But it always leaves a messy trail behind.

Isn’t this the problem with RTC’s then?  I thought HWC was supposed to be separate from the college team?

BELDEEN on HR making some clear answers that are very contradictory to the Brands interviews and does nothing to actually address the policy towards the women and funding policy with them.  He seems to be in leadership or influence with the HWC.  A bit disappointing.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Isn’t this the problem with RTC’s then?  I thought HWC was supposed to be separate from the college team?

On paper yes, but in reality no. That's why I chose to use a business analogy... and also because in my opinion is this was a pure Power 5/B1G-type business move typically reserved for football and M/W basketball.

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

That is my thought exactly.  The Brands continue to evolve and do what is necessary to compete with PSU.

2 hours ago, pamela said:

That’s too bad about the HWC. To Brands' credit he was not only building a strong WFS roster for the club; he also advocated for women's college wrestling and positioned the program well to be a destination for D1 WW.

Not sure where Alli, Forrest, Kayla etc. are planning to go but maybe AG can get something started at the California RTC, esp since there’s some legacy of women wrestling at Stanford and the parent institution has money to support the college team. Maybe an opportunity to piggyback a little bit.

It sounds like they're following Perry.

The entire thing is already a mess, is only going to get worse, animosity heightens each year, and everyone loses by trying to be the winner. This may end up very ugly for a few years with some real bad blood.

Edited by bnwtwg
didn't meant to quote

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

RTC's and the related clubs are supposed to be independent (financially mostly) from the institution. They can interact with the team outside of practice times- however, some given waivers from USAW can practice with the team.

Why keep the women when you can have these guys?

Also, Ragan was pretty specific about a Zoom call and being surprised when told they were done in July. I wonder if the women decided to leave upon getting that news so now Brands can claim they left on their own.

Wow.. perry, gilman and now the entire hwc girls program. Not a good trend for Iowa and brands calling this story false is another black eye. After the ramos situation I wonder how loyal brands really is to his wrestlers when the going gets tough.