Sign in to follow this  
Administrator

Archive match of the Day: Cael Sanderson vs Lee Fullhart - 2004 US Open

Lee trained exclusively for Cael for 3 years  once he finally got over the hump of Gutches, Burton and Eggum. He lost to those guys a bunch from 98-01 then I think through training his arse off passed them and then focused on Cael and it almost worked. The thing is with Lee is he was like 0-10 against Romero, Satiev, Magomedov and Sajidov. Sanderson was about .500 against them so I think we sent the right guy.

52 minutes ago, pamela said:

Is the kid sitting behind Cael’s mom and wife at 2:31 & 4:04 David Taylor? 

Pretty sure yes. After a couple seconds, his ears show up from behind the wife. Before that tough to see because the logo is in front of him.

1 hour ago, HoundedHawk said:

How many times did Lee beat Cael in his career?  Twice?  I think I saw him beat up here in St. Paul.  

I'm not sure, but as of the end of that second video above (2004 OTT) Cael was 8-4 vs. LF.

57 minutes ago, HoundedHawk said:

That's quite a feat.  How many people can say, "I beat Cael Sanderson 4 times."?

For real. Cael is the only champ Lee ever beat. Lee wrestled Gold medalists in Cael, Romero, Sajidov, A. Satiev, Ketov, and Magemedov. He may have wrestled Gatsalov also. If so he didnt beat him. He only beat freaking Cael! Not only beat but beat 4 times. More than any other person on the planet! Cael did win their one folk match 5-2 in the MIdlands final so even in folk Lee was close! Someone needs to write a book on this:-)

1 hour ago, Keisha_Phillips said:

At the olympic trials did Cael wrestle a full mini tournament that day?  The day before?  Was Fullhart waiting in the finals or did he wrestle in a mini tournament as well?

OTT in 2004 was single day with the challenge tournament starting in the AM and best 2 of 3 finals later in the evening. Fullhart won the US Open in the first vid so he had a bye to the 2/3 finals. Cael was the US Open runner-up so he had the automatic #1 seed in the challenge mini tournament. I think the top 4 seeds all had first round byes.

On 4/29/2020 at 4:58 PM, PRyan2012 said:

Lee trained exclusively for Cael for 3 years  once he finally got over the hump of Gutches, Burton and Eggum. He lost to those guys a bunch from 98-01 then I think through training his arse off passed them and then focused on Cael and it almost worked. The thing is with Lee is he was like 0-10 against Romero, Satiev, Magomedov and Sajidov. Sanderson was about .500 against them so I think we sent the right guy.

Man that weight was full of killers. Has to be one of the toughest international weights ever. Along with Gatsalov, sheesh that's insane. 

On 4/30/2020 at 10:30 AM, PRyan2012 said:

For real. Cael is the only champ Lee ever beat. Lee wrestled Gold medalists in Cael, Romero, Sajidov, A. Satiev, Ketov, and Magemedov. He may have wrestled Gatsalov also. If so he didnt beat him. He only beat freaking Cael! Not only beat but beat 4 times. More than any other person on the planet! Cael did win their one folk match 5-2 in the MIdlands final so even in folk Lee was close! Someone needs to write a book on this:-)

I was at that Midland match.  Much closer even than the score indicated.