Sign in to follow this  
jerseywrestling

Best Wrestlers in Syracuse History

Best Wrestlers in Syracuse History

maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.jerseywrestling.com/news.php?story=Best Wrestlers in Syracuse History

The top five wrestlers in Orange history won a total of twelve NCAA medals and four titles and include two two-time NCAA champions, two two-time finalists, and a two-time top-three medalist!

Check out the best Syracuse wrestlers of all-time ranked by NCAA medals!

Here are the top five!

Rank - Name - Score - Medals

#1 - Gene Mills - 51 - 3,4,1,1
#2 - Jim Nance - 32 - 1,1
#3 - Ken Hunte - 24 - 2,2
#3 - Wayne Catan - 24 - 2,2
#5 - John Janiak - 22 - 2,3

There have been 22 All-American wrestlers who have won 35 medals in Syracuse history!

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_team_profile.php?team=Syracuse

===

Like and follow us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/jerseywrestling/

40 minutes ago, insidecradle said:

The Smashing Machine— Mark Kerr. Dude was built !

Yah, he was a monster - one of my brothers had a SU wrestling poster with the season’s schedule. Kerr was posing with some dumbbells next to Rich Santana (and I think Darrin Farrell was on the other side) which made him look even more ginormous, haha.

I’m not sure if I am remembering correctly but didn’t Mark Kerr put in some serious work at the gym between his junior and senior years? I mean he was always big and didn’t exactly come out of nowhere to win a title but his improvement between those season was impressive. Anyway, it also made me wonder if his one title is better than a 2,2 or 2,3 on the all-time list.

1 hour ago, pamela said:

Yah, he was a monster - one of my brothers had a SU wrestling poster with the season’s schedule. Kerr was posing with some dumbbells next to Rich Santana (and I think Darrin Farrell was on the other side) which made him look even more ginormous, haha.

I’m not sure if I am remembering correctly but didn’t Mark Kerr put in some serious work at the gym between his junior and senior years? I mean he was always big and didn’t exactly come out of nowhere to win a title but his improvement between those season was impressive. Anyway, it also made me wonder if his one title is better than a 2,2 or 2,3 on the all-time list.

The story I heard was that Chris Campbell got his law degree from Syracuse after he initially retired from wrestling because of back injuries.  He was living in the area and his back healed, he was working out with the Syracuse team when he decided to make his comeback.  He was training partners with Kerr his senior season and Kerr went on to win a title and Campbell got Olympic Bronze

1 hour ago, HokieHWT said:

Due to being one of the biggest steroid abusers (cheaters) in the history of college wrestling and MMA.

Any evidence that he juiced in college?

And he spent most of his MMA career in Pride, where i believe there were no rules against steroids.

7 hours ago, TobusRex said:

You forgot Jim Brown. Yeah, he didn't wrestle, but if he had he'd have dominated.

As most probably know, he did play lacrosse. On an ESPN show about him, one of his old teammates said something along the line of” Oh God, now they’re gonna put a stick in his hands”

3 hours ago, insidecradle said:

As most probably know, he did play lacrosse. On an ESPN show about him, one of his old teammates said something along the line of” Oh God, now they’re gonna put a stick in his hands”

LOL. I read somewhere that Jim Brown could well be the greatest American Lacrosse player ever. I believe it, the guy was an athletic freak.

11 hours ago, Jim L said:

And he spent most of his MMA career in Pride, where i believe there were no rules against steroids.

Mark was pretty lean in college, he wrestled at 190.  He was also kind of tall, like 6'2 or something, so when he got into UFC years later and was a lot bigger, there weren't any rules against it really.  He said the first time he touched the gear was after college and after he was done wrestling.  Mostly because he felt like other people were using it since there wasn't any kind of testing that he could do it too. I think he said somebody got in his ear about it and he figured he could do it.  If he was doinf steroids before the UFC then he should have gotten his money back. 

Here's Kerr in college:

InterMat Wrestling - GoFundMe for former wrestler, MMA champ Mark Kerr

Kerr in UFC:

5 Hard Lessons From The Downfall Of MMA Pioneer Mark Kerr – Return ...

No way he was juicing in college.  

On 4/30/2020 at 9:28 AM, Jim L said:

The story I heard was that Chris Campbell got his law degree from Syracuse after he initially retired from wrestling because of back injuries.  He was living in the area and his back healed, he was working out with the Syracuse team when he decided to make his comeback.  He was training partners with Kerr his senior season and Kerr went on to win a title and Campbell got Olympic Bronze

Campbell actually got his law degree from Cornell in the 80s, and subsequently moved to the Syracuse area and was working for the Carrier Corporation there when he decided to make his comeback.

2 hours ago, Sheerstress said:

Campbell actually got his law degree from Cornell in the 80s, and subsequently moved to the Syracuse area and was working for the Carrier Corporation there when he decided to make his comeback.

He was coaching at Syracuse for a while, while Kerr was there

On 4/30/2020 at 12:30 PM, Jim L said:

I believe PEDs were subtly encourage in Pride.  As in, there was bold print in the contracts saying "At no time will athletes ever be tested for PEDs."

4 hours ago, Sheerstress said:

Thank you for sharing that article. What a heartbreaking story - some parts were pretty tough to read. You can tell that he’s pretty sharp, and he seems to be quite self-aware, humbled and honest about his life choices and current situation. I didn’t know there was an HBO docu about him and will have to check it out. I hope he is doing better these days.

1 hour ago, pamela said:

Thank you for sharing that article. What a heartbreaking story - some parts were pretty tough to read. You can tell that he’s pretty sharp, and he seems to be quite self-aware, humbled and honest about his life choices and current situation. I didn’t know there was an HBO docu about him and will have to check it out. I hope he is doing better these days.

Excellent documentary, and if stuff ever gets back to normal, look for a possibly huge film about his life.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/dwayne-johnson-ufc-champ-mark-kerr-film-1203390305/

I made the Ohio freestyle team in 1986, by beating Mark Kerr in the qualifier.  When I say beat, not sure how it happened, but about a minute into the match  Kerr either broke his leg or injured his knee.  He injury defaulted and I made the team.  He would have killed me if he didn't have the injury.  I was having breakfast in Forksville, PA a few years ago and Gene Mills came into the restaurant (his camp was just up the road) and I asked him if he remembered Kerr being injured coming into his freshman year.   He did remember and I told him the story.