RichB

PIAA NEW Weights = 13

On 5/9/2020 at 1:32 PM, SetonHallPirate said:

FWIW, New York is floating a pilot proposal to go to 13 weights (from 15), but a different 13 than Pennsylvania, namely 102-110-118-126-132-138-145-152-160-172-189-215-285...but New York also has seventh-grade eligibility.

I really like NY new weights. And I also think 7th and 8th graders should be able to wrestle.  This year, in NY LARGE school, there was a 7th and 8th grade state champ.

47 minutes ago, leshismore said:

I really like NY new weights. And I also think 7th and 8th graders should be able to wrestle.  This year, in NY LARGE school, there was a 7th and 8th grade state champ.

Allowing 7th and 8th graders to be varsity isn't going to grow the sport. If anything it will push away the bigger kids that don't get to see the varsity lineup until sophomore or junior years because of maturity.

1 hour ago, BobDole said:

Allowing 7th and 8th graders to be varsity isn't going to grow the sport. If anything it will push away the bigger kids that don't get to see the varsity lineup until sophomore or junior years because of maturity.

Correct. This is why NY has become a have and have not state. Their elite kids are great but the depth is a fraction of the surrounding states. 

2 hours ago, leshismore said:

Probably a little bit of fake news to not include the fact that one of these 2 was in the 99 pound weight class. 

15 hours ago, TooOldToRemember said:

Here's how the 2019-20 PA wrestling participants sort into the proposed 13 weight classes.

1009287183_LevelChangerBlog--PIAAMWCDistributionwithNewWeightClasses.png.da1420df2b1a5be7355886e8f46e12c7.png

The problem with the minimum weight distribution is that kids 160+ are are slotted to be one or two weight classes below what they make or can physically make. I have seen many 195-285's be certified to go two or three weights below what they can conceivably make.

would have to agree with the Sen. on this one...if PA used this as guidance, it is too bad, as there are plenty of 120 pounders who might have a min. wt of 106 (and probably even a few 132's), but as with those upperweights, they are not going that low.  would be like WalMart buying t-shirts and ordering 60% mediums because the general public's optimal weight is 150, but most folks are not within a stone's throw of that.

On 5/11/2020 at 6:05 PM, DynamiteKid said:

Probably a little bit of fake news to not include the fact that one of these 2 was in the 99 pound weight class. 

Cut the "Fake News" nonsense. The kid is amazing and beat the 106 lb BEAST champ this year. Is 106 not legit?

On 5/11/2020 at 6:05 PM, DynamiteKid said:

These are winners and some placers at 99 and 96 [and even 91]  in the past few years. Are you trying to say they are FAKE news? These guys are not legit?

Countless NCAA Champs and AA's were at 96-99 lbs. Most didn't even win.

• Rich Salamone (MQJ/Section V)
  • Carl DeStefanis (LV/Section VIII)
  • Albiero Palacio (LB/Section VIII)
  • Brad Penrith (Windsor/Section IV)
  • Ricky Brzozinski (WI/Section XI)
  • Troy Bouzakis (PB/Section IX)
  • Lou Rosselli (RH/Section VI)
  • Frank Fronhofer (Salem/Section II)
  • Greg Parker (Shenendehowa/Section II) 
  • Phillip Mansueto (Middletown/Section IX
  • Rocco Mansueto (Middletown/Section IX
  • Jesse Jantzen (SWR/Section XI)
  • Trevor Chinn (Canandaigua/Section V)
  • Mike Mormile (MW/Section IX)
  • Troy Nickerson (CF/Section IV)
  • J.P. O'Connor (Oxford/Section IV)
  • Lou_Ruggirello Valley_Centr10_Sec_9
  • Cory_Jantzen Shoreham W R  Sec 11 
  • Ian Paddock 
  • STEVEN KEITH (SHOREHAM-WADING RIVER (XI)
  • Bob Dierna (Wayne (V)
  • Mike Soria (KP/Section XI) 
  • Max Soria (KP/Section XI
  • Mark West (Hauppauge) 
  • Nick Piccininni (WM)
  • Kyle Kelly (CF/Section IV)
  • Jose Rodriguez (Wantagh/Section VIII)
  • Yianni Diakomihalis (Hilton/Section V) 
  • Vito Arujau (Syosset/Section VIII) 
  • Jesse Dellavecchia (EI/Section XI)
  • Jacori Teemer (LB/Section VIII) 
  • Adam Busiello (ESM/Section XI)
  • Benny Baker (NV)
  • Greg Diakomihalis (Hilton/Section V) 
  • Dylan Ryder (HHHW/Section XI)
  • Anthony Noto (HFL/Section V) 
  • Jordan Titus (CM/Section XI) 
  • Stevo Poulin (Shenendehowa/Section II)
  • Gregor McNeil (Hilton/Section V) 
  • P.J. Duke (Carmel/Section I)

The problem with using weight distribution as the main metric is that you are counting all 4 grades equally. For some reason wrestlers, or more likely their dads, have this sense of entitlement to be on varsity as freshman that would be ridiculous for Baseball or football. The distributions should be based on juniors and seniors. If there are younger kids who can make compete at those weights good for them. If we need to add a lighter weight for jv tourneys I can like with that too. But don’t give me this distribution of all Hs kids and weight it evenly just because daddy can’t deal with the fact that his 100 pound kid who plays no other sports and daddy spends $10k a year on wrestling training for might not be able to post on Facebook that his kid was on varsity as a freshman. 

lesh your post is ridiculous. Guess what, EVERYONE is small before they are big. That’s how biology works. Ever single ncaa champ that has ever lived, even Cole Konrad or Brock Lesnar, weighed 96 pounds at some point in their life. I’ve never even heard of half the people on your list but I’m pretty sure we all know that ever single college wrestler was 99  pounds at one point in their life. 

Edited by DynamiteKid

2 hours ago, DynamiteKid said:

The problem with using weight distribution as the main metric is that you are counting all 4 grades equally. For some reason wrestlers, or more likely their dads, have this sense of entitlement to be on varsity as freshman that would be ridiculous for Baseball or football. The distributions should be based on juniors and seniors. If there are younger kids who can make compete at those weights good for them. If we need to add a lighter weight for jv tourneys I can like with that too. But don’t give me this distribution of all Hs kids and weight it evenly just because daddy can’t deal with the fact that his 100 pound kid who plays no other sports and daddy spends $10k a year on wrestling training for might not be able to post on Facebook that his kid was on varsity as a freshman. 

lesh your post is ridiculous. Guess what, EVERYONE is small before they are big. That’s how biology works. Ever single ncaa champ that has ever lived, even Cole Konrad or Brock Lesnar, weighed 96 pounds at some point in their life. I’ve never even heard of half the people on your list but I’m pretty sure we all know that ever single college wrestler was 99  pounds at one point in their life. 

Would be helpful, I think, to understand the thinking behind the PIAA proposal. I wonder what success looks like.  

A reasonable distribution among a solid 10 team conference with everyone filling all 13 weights

13 frosh

26 sophs

39 Juniors

52 Seniors

I think the reality might be a few more froshand sophs and a few less jr SR. Burnout

Unlike others, I will not tell NY what to do, Just ask a question. Both Pa and NY have 2 classifications. Pa schools classification criteria changes every other year. But, generaly the Maximum 

number of boys is 300-310 in the top 3 grades. In most public schools that would be total students 585-600, 800-820 both sexes top 4 grades (I find  it wonderful when people say hpw big there school is with no parameter)

On 5/16/2020 at 7:00 PM, DynamiteKid said:

Not too bright are you. Also, haven't heard of these folks? You obviously have a limited knowledge of the sport.