Jump to content
RichB

PIAA NEW Weights = 13

Recommended Posts

I am at a loss when a "powerhouse" state  reduces weights.  I can see reducing for tournaments (individual),  but this is a freaking mess.   Guess Powerade will have schools coming in from out of state with some studs competing at weight classes  not recognized in their home states.    I just don't get how we have schools out there with 200 kids total in a school with 30 kids on a team,  and then have schools with 1500 with 6-7 kids on a team (this occurs nationwide).   Blows my mind.   I get you have kids that are picky in high school...but we see it carry on to some of our college programs too where you might see 4 matches in a dual.    I think some of this goes back to passion and whether you get money regardless of how hard you work.   1  fish is better than 0 for a weight.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2020 at 9:00 AM, BobDole said:

You'd think the supposedly "best" wrestling state in the country would be able have teams filling their lineups and not asking for a reduction in weight classes. Reducing weight classes is the easy way out instead of telling to coaching to man up and recruit the hallways.

Hey Bob. Where do you coach at?  Do you have a full lineup?  What's that?  You're not a coach?  Then i suggest you keep your opinions to yourself.  I am a coach in PA and we do our best to recruit kids in the hallways.  The fact is, wrestling is a tough sport and not everyone can hack it.  The dropout rate from JH to HS is very high.  If you think the amount of forfeits is because coaches are just being lazy, then you have no idea what you're talking about.  Would you agree that District 7 in PA is the strongest in the country?  What would you say if I told you that D7 AA struggles to field full teams and has a LOT of forfeits?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gnolte3636 said:

Hey Bob. Where do you coach at?  Do you have a full lineup?  What's that?  You're not a coach?  Then i suggest you keep your opinions to yourself.  I am a coach in PA and we do our best to recruit kids in the hallways.  The fact is, wrestling is a tough sport and not everyone can hack it.  The dropout rate from JH to HS is very high.  If you think the amount of forfeits is because coaches are just being lazy, then you have no idea what you're talking about.  Would you agree that District 7 in PA is the strongest in the country?  What would you say if I told you that D7 AA struggles to field full teams and has a LOT of forfeits?  

False, I coach.... and have had a full line-up most years with no more than one forfeit a few times. Even when we had a forfeit I wasn't clamoring for a reduction of weights. Surprisingly it's always been at a lower weight.

Wanna know the truth? You ain't filling your lineup with 13 weights, so what's the next option? Are you going to keep taking away weights until you can field a full lineup?

There are 474 schools with wrestling in Pennsylvania.

Last year only 62 forfeited 182 and 196 at District. There were 269 teams that had both weights filled. You are eliminating 269 varsity wrestlers to save 198 forfeits between both those weight classes. The math doesn't add up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2020 at 9:04 PM, Husker_Du said:

Boompa, that is interesting - can you site the source?

50% vs. 35%

 

Former Army special forces guy on Joe Rogan who was at the time involved in recruiting for the Army.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The schools in my area that are struggling with numbers fielded full teams for decades. School enrollments are not smaller. Other sports aren't really poaching athletes. I fought the fight as a coach in one of the public schools. Kids do not want to wrestle anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 7:00 AM, gimpeltf said:

You can teach someone to be a goalie. 

Correct. And you can teach someone how to wrestle. But you need to make an effort and go recruit athletes. But is easier to just eliminate weights than  to do your job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DynamiteKid said:

Correct. And you can teach someone how to wrestle. But you need to make an effort and go recruit athletes. But is easier to just eliminate weights than  to do your job. 

That's wasn't the point. You can teach someone to be a goalie if he weighs 150, you can't teach a kid to be 106 or 285 if he weighs 150.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

That's wasn't the point. You can teach someone to be a goalie if he weighs 150, you can't teach a kid to be 106 or 285 if he weighs 150.

Can we teach a coach to work the hallways to recruit the kids? Asking for a friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2020 at 11:59 PM, DynamiteKid said:

Again we are our own worst enemy. Our Hs soccer coach can’t develop goalies so we should petition to just play without goalies. 

 

On 7/31/2020 at 7:00 AM, gimpeltf said:

You can teach someone to be a goalie. 

 

23 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Can we teach a coach to work the hallways to recruit the kids? Asking for a friend.

Irrelevant to the post I quoted. (The first one) Goalies come in all sizes. 106/285 pounders don't

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once upon a time in the 1980's, almost every PA school had 30+ kids on their high school roster and everyone of those kids wrestled since elementary and were not dragged out of a hallway to go out for wrestling.

And there were 12 weights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...