Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Did weight certification work the other way around long ago? On some specified certification date, wrestlers weigh-in and that determined the lowest weight class they were allowed to compete in?

Anyway if I am understanding the process correctly, maybe the 125 findings aren’t so counterintuitive and should be disregarded along with Hwt. 285 allows for a huge weight range, but so does 125 where there are likely undersized guys like Lee, Teske, Cruz, etc. who don’t have to cut weight or have the luxury to put on weight to maintain a body competitive body mass for 125.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

according to @nhs67 there was a recent 2x 165 champ who was pretty chubby

Whodat?

Cenzo?  He's a chunker, man, when comparing to fellow 165lbers like Marinelli and Lewis.  He looks like a 157lber when he wrestles them.

A big fan, regardless.  Guy does what he does and he's amazing at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keisha_Phillips said:

Hard to go by those numbers as usually the coach tells the athletic trainer to "pinch high" for a higher body fat number.  Most teams do their cert in September and the wrestlers are easily able to go to whatever weight class they want.  

exactly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Whodat?

Cenzo?  He's a chunker, man, when comparing to fellow 165lbers like Marinelli and Lewis.  He looks like a 157lber when he wrestles them.

A big fan, regardless.  Guy does what he does and he's amazing at it.

I'm just giving you a hard time, but you definitely called him chubby once and I've been waiting for a good time to bring it up because it was a pretty funny thing to read 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I'm just giving you a hard time, but you definitely called him chubby once and I've been waiting for a good time to bring it up because it was a pretty funny thing to read 

Comparatively he is quite the chubster.  I'd have loved to see him and Nolf play swapskies Nolf's senior season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed about swapping weights. I think Nolf would have won 49, 57, 65, and had a puncher's chance all the way up at 74 at NCAAs. I have no inside info whatsoever but I would even be so bold as to say that he beat Retherford.

I also think Joseph would have taken home the title at 157 and avoided his kryptonite that weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we're talking about fat wrestlers, let's pick on the big boys. I wonder what the biggest gap between the weight they certified at and their MWC? It looks like there are at least some heavies that qualified for 165, but you can't tell what their actual weight is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Keisha_Phillips said:

Hard to go by those numbers as usually the coach tells the athletic trainer to "pinch high" for a higher body fat number.  Most teams do their cert in September and the wrestlers are easily able to go to whatever weight class they want.  

When I was in school, which was 2000, my freshman year it was in the very beginning of new weight certification for The NCAA so I’m not sure what’s changed but at that time there were 2 certification dates.  

The first, called “Section 1,” was before the season and they took body fat, weight, and hydration tests from each athlete.  If you weren’t hydrated you couldn’t even progress to the fat calibration or step on the scale, it was an automatic failure and you had to redo it.  If you did pass they did weight and fat calibration and your weight could be above the weight class you wanted but you had to be in range based on your body fat content.  If by the first competition, at losing 1.5 pounds per week you could be at that weight class, you would then have to take “Section 2.”  In this part you had to also be tested for hydration and again if you were either over or under hydrated, you failed.  If you passed you had to weigh in under or on the weight class you wanted and your body fat could not be below 5%. 
 

if after section 1 the scale said you could not be at the weight class losing 1.5 a week you had to go the higher weight class.  Also if you could not weigh in at that weight class, while also being hydrated and body fat above 5%, you could not go that weight class.  Once you were certified you also were not allowed to re-certify, even if your weight naturally came off through the season.  On the sleeper bus to my first college tournament, we had to stop at a random gas station on the way and had to pass section 2 and did but it wasn’t super easy.  Things must have changed by now but that’s how it was done all my years in college.

Edited by Schuteandscore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Schuteandscore said:

When I was in school, which was 2000, my freshman year it was in the very beginning of new weight certification for The NCAA so I’m not sure what’s changed but at that time there were 2 certification dates.  

The first, called “Section 1,” was before the season and they took body fat, weight, and hydration tests from each athlete.  If you weren’t hydrated you couldn’t even progress to the fat calibration or step on the scale, it was an automatic failure and you had to redo it.  If you did pass they did weight and fat calibration and your weight could be above the weight class you wanted but you had to be in range based on your body fat content.  If by the first competition, at losing 1.5 pounds per week you could be at that weight class, you would then have to take “Section 2.”  In this part you had to also be tested for hydration and again if you were either over or under hydrated, you failed.  If you passed you had to weigh in under or on the weight class you wanted and your body fat could not be below 5%. 
 

if after section 1 the scale said you could not be at the weight class losing 1.5 a week you had to go the higher weight class.  Also if you could not weigh in at that weight class, while also being hydrated and body fat above 5%, you could not go that weight class.  Once you were certified you also were not allowed to re-certify, even if your weight naturally came off through the season.  On the sleeper bus to my first college tournament, we had to stop at a random gas station on the way and had to pass section 2 and did but it wasn’t super easy.  Things must have changed by now but that’s how it was done all my years in college.

Yes things are different now, no section 1 and 2 stuff.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wrestled at 142 and 150 (1 Time in a Duel at 158 and weighed 141 for that one LOL)   When I did the underwater weigh in AND the Calipers I was always 4.5-4.9 ate whatever I wanted Shakes, Large Pizza's etc.  Just ran 7 up to 12 Miles every morning lifted 3 times a week,  and did the team workout, usually 6 days a week, The highest I ever got during the off season was 153, I never cut weight, just worked out a lot Ran Cross Country (Ran in the Morning, Wrestling in the Afternoon and Wrestled Simultaneously, Ran Track immediately after Wrestling, When I went home for the summer worked out at the  Boxing club.

Note the Weights were different then 118,126,134, 142, 150, 158, 167, 177,190 Heavyweight Unlimited NOT 286

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Agreed about swapping weights. I think Nolf would have won 49, 57, 65, and had a puncher's chance all the way up at 74 at NCAAs. I have no inside info whatsoever but I would even be so bold as to say that he beat Retherford.

I also think Joseph would have taken home the title at 157 and avoided his kryptonite that weekend.

This assertion seems like a reach.  He is great, but Imar proved he is the better.  Zain Train would beat him based on superior positioning.   Zahid?  C'mon now. 

Joseph always looked like he was packing a little extra, but he missed weight at 157 and 165.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Schuteandscore said:

Sooooo... how is it now?

Step 1 find hydrated body weight 

Step 2 Skin fold test to find body fat percent

Step 3 calculate lowest possible weight class at 5% body fat

Step 4 allowed to lose 1.5  % body weight per week from initial assessment, that is why teams do it early in the fall and pinch high

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Keisha_Phillips said:

Step 1 find hydrated body weight 

Step 2 Skin fold test to find body fat percent

Step 3 calculate lowest possible weight class at 5% body fat

Step 4 allowed to lose 1.5  % body weight per week from initial assessment, that is why teams do it early in the fall and pinch high

So it sounds like they just removed the second part

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

This assertion seems like a reach.  He is great, but Imar proved he is the better.  Zain Train would beat him based on superior positioning.   Zahid?  C'mon now. 

Joseph always looked like he was packing a little extra, but he missed weight at 157 and 165.

Referring to folkstyle specifically, yeah I think Nolf probably ran the room in PSU. I have no clue, but I wouldn't be surprised if he won more live matches than he lost with Retherford, Cenzo, and Hall. Maybe Zain smokes him, maybe Hall's weight (and thus Zahid's) are too much. That's the fun part about the fantasy matches

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Referring to folkstyle specifically, yeah I think Nolf probably ran the room in PSU. I have no clue, but I wouldn't be surprised if he won more live matches than he lost with Retherford, Cenzo, and Hall. Maybe Zain smokes him, maybe Hall's weight (and thus Zahid's) are too much. That's the fun part about the fantasy matches

Hall definitely could beat Nolf easily.  He’s way too big.  Even when they were the same size Hall won.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Referring to folkstyle specifically, yeah I think Nolf probably ran the room in PSU. I have no clue, but I wouldn't be surprised if he won more live matches than he lost with Retherford, Cenzo, and Hall. Maybe Zain smokes him, maybe Hall's weight (and thus Zahid's) are too much. That's the fun part about the fantasy matches

A couple/few years ago Jimmy Kennedy was a common opponent within two months of each other 

Zain won then Nolf lost.

13 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Hall definitely could beat Nolf easily.  He’s way too big.  Even when they were the same size Hall won.

Since they've last wrestled there is more argument for Nolf having grown more.

Hall looks the same size now as he did then. Nolf looks bigger now than he did then.

Watch their match.

Watch Hall V Kemerererererr 2 from B1Gs.

Watch Nolf VS Cenzo or Nolf VS Massa from this last fall. Or even Nolf at Pan Ams.

Nolf has grown more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...