Sign in to follow this  
fanta

Wrestling Season 2020-2021

With The Spanish Flu in 1918 just like the current Pandemic, The first wave killed mostly elderly, the 2nd Wave in 1918 killed Mostly 20-35 Year Old's as the Virus Mutated and went after people with stronger immune systems  https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-second-wave-resurgence

They are saying it is important for ALL NCAA Sports that Football be played, but even if the Virus does not go after  younger people, A LOT of NCAA Football Players (Linemen )  have an underlying condition Obesity,  I read about a 22 Year Old Florida State Football Player who had it and has recovered,  he said it was the sickest he ever was.  So this should be discussed.

With Wrestling Very few if any  non heavyweights would be considered Obese, but when you are in really great shape,  you are redlining it with your Immune System,  That is why Athletes who are in great shape get sick so often

Also COVID 19 is a respiratory Virus, which tend to be worse November to February, same as Peak Wrestling Season.

Many who have recovered from Covid  19  have damaged T-Cells and Less Lung Capacity.

I know EXTREMELY LITTLE about Pandemics and Viruses,  but all these things seem VERY important, but is rarely discussed,  seems all doom and gloom for sports for at least a year and maybe more.   Is there anyone who knows about this kind of stuff?  It looks like the worst is yet to come.

Athletics aren't even step 1. Getting the policies in place for students to come back to campus would be the first thing I would imagine universities are working on. 

So many schools need their precious and ridiculously expensive room and board money.

It kills me to say it but I just don’t see how there will be a season next year. It’s not the competitions that are the problem it’s the practice rooms. In some optimistic scenario you could envision a world where the season is modified down to a few tournaments and every wrestler gets tested before every tournament...but there’s just no way to implement anything close to that level of caution and safety at the daily practice room level. It’s not what you and I think is acceptable when it comes to risk, it’s overtly cautious and liability minded university administrators who are gonna make the call. I just can’t see medical experts saying it’s ok for a bunch of guys to go into the same room and wrestle each other on one big mat. Maybe if each wrestler only had one practice partner and the pair had their own mat...but we all know that’s never going to be possible.

Nobody hopes I’m wrong more than me.

I'll be blunt...there isn't likely to be a wrestling season until there's a vaccine. Most likely, there won't be any sports until there's a vaccine, but if things are opened up on a sport-by-sport basis, wrestling is probably going to be the very last sport to be allowed, due to the nature of it and the relative lack of protective equipment.

On 5/1/2020 at 3:35 PM, SetonHallPirate said:

I'll be blunt...there isn't likely to be a wrestling season until there's a vaccine. Most likely, there won't be any sports until there's a vaccine, but if things are opened up on a sport-by-sport basis, wrestling is probably going to be the very last sport to be allowed, due to the nature of it and the relative lack of protective equipment.

+1

On 5/1/2020 at 4:35 PM, SetonHallPirate said:

Typically, I love you Pirate. But today you make me sad.

P.S. You make me sad because you're probably right. 

On 5/1/2020 at 1:31 PM, MDogg said:

It kills me to say it but I just don’t see how there will be a season next year. It’s not the competitions that are the problem it’s the practice rooms. In some optimistic scenario you could envision a world where the season is modified down to a few tournaments and every wrestler gets tested before every tournament...but there’s just no way to implement anything close to that level of caution and safety at the daily practice room level. It’s not what you and I think is acceptable when it comes to risk, it’s overtly cautious and liability minded university administrators who are gonna make the call. I just can’t see medical experts saying it’s ok for a bunch of guys to go into the same room and wrestle each other on one big mat. Maybe if each wrestler only had one practice partner and the pair had their own mat...but we all know that’s never going to be possible.

Nobody hopes I’m wrong more than me.

Do you think there will be a football season?

I don’t see how a “liability minded administrator” would allow a football season to happen but then use liability as an excuse for wrestling.

If wrestling is 

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I don’t see how a “liability minded administrator” would allow a football season to happen but then use liability as an excuse for wrestling.

If the wrestling season is canceled, it will only be after the fall season has already been canceled. It's not like the fall will happen and then wrestling will be deemed too dangerous. There are a few NCAA sports that can be done while social distancing, but not many. Bowling, gymnastics, rifle, skiing, golf, and tennis are the only ones that can really be done with minor modifications.

14 minutes ago, IronChef said:

If wrestling is 

If the wrestling season is canceled, it will only be after the fall season has already been canceled. It's not like the fall will happen and then wrestling will be deemed too dangerous. There are a few NCAA sports that can be done while social distancing, but not many. Bowling, gymnastics, rifle, skiing, golf, and tennis are the only ones that can really be done with minor modifications.

Swimming would be pretty safe.  Fencing is perfect:  wear masks, gloves, and if anyone comes within six feet of you, you stab them.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

At the P5 level I think there will be football sometime next academic year. They will lay out safe guidelines for football practices that will be onerous but the P5 schools will be able to meet. They’ll lay out the same safe guidelines for wrestling that essentially no school will be able to meet. Part of it is the nature of the sport, part of it is budgetary. 

It’s not that they’ll outright cancel wrestling and let football proceed as normal. They’ll lay out the guidelines for what each sport must do to be able to practice and compete safely and football will be able to meet those guidelines and wrestling won’t.

Not all sports are the same when it comes to COVID risks and their abilities to throw money at stop gap solutions. Unfortunately wrestling is at the worst end of the spectrum when it comes to both. 

41 minutes ago, MDogg said:

At the P5 level I think there will be football sometime next academic year. They will lay out safe guidelines for football practices that will be onerous but the P5 schools will be able to meet. They’ll lay out the same safe guidelines for wrestling that essentially no school will be able to meet. Part of it is the nature of the sport, part of it is budgetary. 

It’s not that they’ll outright cancel wrestling and let football proceed as normal. They’ll lay out the guidelines for what each sport must do to be able to practice and compete safely and football will be able to meet those guidelines and wrestling won’t.

Not all sports are the same when it comes to COVID risks and their abilities to throw money at stop gap solutions. Unfortunately wrestling is at the worst end of the spectrum when it comes to both. 

Personally I don't think football is really much if at all better than wrestling in terms of COVID-risks.   Still pretty close contact, a lot of people on the field at one time, etc.

I just don't see how if football occurs in the fall that they can use liability as an excuse for wrestling.   Budgetary sure.

But if football gets pushed back I could certainly see that impacting wrestling (and other winter sports).   Maybe wrestling happens in the spring/summer?   Could have a lot of outdoor matches (and practices for that matter)...

Edited by 1032004

30 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Personally I don't think football is really much if at all better than wrestling in terms of COVID-risks.   Still pretty close contact, a lot of people on the field at one time, etc.

I just don't see how if football occurs in the fall that they can use liability as an excuse for wrestling.   Budgetary sure.

But if football gets pushed back I could certainly see that impacting wrestling (and other winter sports).   Maybe wrestling happens in the spring/summer?   Could have a lot of outdoor matches (and practices for that matter)...

A lot more clothing coverage and they could shield the faceguards.

In Texas, there are several school districts that are talking about a split day. The idea is half of the students come in the morning and then go home and finish the rest online, the other half starts the day online and then goes to campus in the afternoon. Like I said at this point it is just talk. They are trying to find a way to get the kids back on campus-safely. 

On 5/1/2020 at 3:35 PM, SetonHallPirate said:

Could be but as I recall we had a 2017 wrestling season yet did not have a vaccine.  Just based on the math it would be about impossible to think that we'd have a vaccine by fall and then enough time to vaccinate the entire population before the end of wrestling season.  Plus if no fall football, soccer etc. highly doubtful they'd be basketball, wrestling etc.

Also there are potential options that are likely better than a vaccine in this first year, accurate repeated testing to ensure athletes are negative and/or have the anti-bodies.  Such would need to be combined with a strict code of conduct of athlete behavior.  Sports is not a right so if unwilling to follow the code then don't participate.  

Its still too early to tell where this will go.  

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Could be but as I recall we had a 2017 wrestling season yet did not have a vaccine.  Just based on the math it would be about impossible to think that we'd have a vaccine by fall and then enough time to vaccinate the entire population before the end of wrestling season.  Plus if no fall football, soccer etc. highly doubtful they'd be basketball, wrestling etc.

Also there are potential options that are likely better than a vaccine in this first year, accurate repeated testing to ensure athletes are negative and/or have the anti-bodies.  Such would need to be combined with a strict code of conduct of athlete behavior.  Sports is not a right so if unwilling to follow the code then don't participate.  

Its still too early to tell where this will go.  

What was the virus in 2017 that killed more people than the entirety of the Vietnam War?

7 hours ago, LHU125 said:

Typically, I love you Pirate. But today you make me sad.

P.S. You make me sad because you're probably right. 

Sorry man...but I'm not about to lie to make us happy. I just don't see a 2020-21 wrestling season barring a vaccine.

38 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

What was the virus in 2017 that killed more people than the entirety of the Vietnam War?

I didn't say anything about a virus that killed more people than Vietnam.  Are you saying that's the threshold before the deaths are important or we do anything?  That doesn't fit with what I hear the NY gov say everyday.  I personally still don't know anyone who has tested positive or died from covid-19.  That doesn't mean what we are doing isn't important or the right thing to do.  However, I did have a relative who died from the 2017 season flu, the vaccine did not protect that strain.  He got very sick, went to hospital next county over (none in county) , they sent him home because they didn't have room for any more.  Had in home care for a while, went to the hospital again then sent him back to basically a nursing home/hospital in county.  

Again, my point is there are alternatives and a vaccine is not necessarily the only answer.  There's also a whole lot of info out there that is not science based.  But too, college sports isn't really the major concern, we may or may not have them in 2020/21.  

Edited by ionel

33 minutes ago, ionel said:

I didn't say anything about a virus that killed more people than Vietnam.  Are you saying that's the threshold before the deaths are important or we do anything?  That doesn't fit with what I hear the NY gov say everyday.  I personally still don't know anyone who has tested positive or died from covid-19.  That doesn't mean what we are doing isn't important or the right thing to do.  However, I did have a relative who died from the 2017 season flu, the vaccine did not protect that strain.  He got very sick, went to hospital next county over (none in county) , they sent him home because they didn't have room for any more.  Had in home care for a while, went to the hospital again then sent him back to basically a nursing home/hospital in county.  

Again, my point is there are alternatives and a vaccine is not necessarily the only answer.  There's also a whole lot of info out there that is not science based.  But too, college sports isn't really the major concern, we may or may not have them in 2020/21.  

No, that's not the threshold before the deaths are important, but the threshold we recently (in the last week) hit with COVID-19. As for me, somebody I work with tested positive for the disease (don't worry, he's back healthy). We're looking at, as of right now, about a 5% mortality rate for COVID-19, which is at least an order of magnitude higher than the flu most years (in most years, it's about .1 to .2%), which is why we're doing all of this social distancing, something we haven't done in my lifetime, or (most likely) anybody's lifetime on this message board (was anybody on this board around during World War I?)

6 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Budgetary is 100% the reason. You could theoretically create a practice scenario where each wrestler only has one practice partner and the pair have their own mat that’s disinfected before and after every practice. That’s just realistically never going to happen. Maybe at Iowa or PSU, but how many other schools could (or would be willing to) pull that off? 

P5 football can (and I think will) pull it off. Each B10 school loses out on $50 million in TV money if they don’t play their conference games next season. Space isn’t a problem for football practices, P5 schools have massive facilities and can practice outside. 

Within the confines of their existing facilities (at P5 schools), football’s “safe practice” solution is a lot easier to achieve than wrestling’s. More importantly, the financial incentives for these schools to play football are immense, whereas for wrestling they’re really non-existent. 

I hope you’re right and wrestling can happen in the spring. I’m actually hopeful that’s a real possibility because by spring time we could have a massive number of rapid tests available. If we get to a point where every wrestler can get tested fairly frequently that obviously solves a lot of the problem.