Sign in to follow this  
fanta

Wrestling Season 2020-2021

25 minutes ago, Le duke said:

The other sport that I follow semi-religiously is pro cycling. The UCI (professional cycling's organizing body) just released their new calendar for the abbreviated 2020 season.

For those of you unfamiliar with professional cycling, these races are generally 5-7 hours long, with 160+ starters in close proximity, the staff for each team in 2 or 3 cars in the chase caravan behind, additional support staff at the start and then the finish. Then, you have all of the fans on the sides of the road, as you pass through 100-150 miles of countryside, or, potentially, multiple countries. On some of the more famous climbs, or climbs to finish decisive stages of a multi-day race, you can have a six digit number of people out on the roadside.

I just don't see how it's going to happen without being a complete disaster. 

The last couple pro cycling events (UAE might've been the last) there were no fans roadside (prob easier to control in UAE than the Euro events).  They shut down last 2 days of UAE event because a couple support individuals on different teams were found to be positive.  Q'd all and found more positives so pretty sure the teams staff etc went thru the 14 day before back to normal activity.  Now all that said going forward and since we now have better testing, there's plenty of money to test all and change the way they run the events, eliminate fans etc.  Given the age, condition etc of the athletes none really at risk (from what we now know) from covid-19 and a decent % prob already had it.  Also the interaction outdoors in the heat & sun where greatly reduced chance of spread.  With testing and reducing interactions off course I'd expect they will start back up. 

I think I heard a quick blurb about a UFC guy who was supposed to fight this weekend getting pulled for c19. People from his corner were asymptomatic but also tested positive. Hopefully the testing was done ahead of time without exposure to others.

It is turning out to be the case that almost all sports are now "contact" sports. You don't have much contact I suppose in archery, but then there's audiences. Perhaps also consider general attitude and level of enthusiasm during this crisis. Participation?

It'll be intersting to find out what the infection rates will be for those states or industries that say OK we can go back to work with all sorts of protective measures & gear in place. Will rates decrease significantly? Is one more death ok so I can have my hamburger/steak? Interesting experiment now playing out. What'll happen to those people??

I don't blame people for wanting to go back to work for money and/or love of the work. We have inherited a system of economics that ties money to employment for the vast majority. Consequently, this virus is being given the "go-ahead" for exponential increase. I feel we'll have to separate essential from non-essential work in order to increase our chances of survival. If you're nonessential, your eligible for unemployment benefits, no if, ands or buts. We can throw billion$ at the national defense war/killing machine decades after decades to defend others overseas, but we can't find the money to defend our lives and US? Priorities? What really is national security?

11 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

You said CAN make contact with not DOES make contact with. Sure it's a risk, I didn't deny that. It's just not as much direct contact as wrestling. Why would it be impossible to build an appropriate mask? Do you really think the NFL and NHL are going to give up because you said it's impossible?

Plus on the mask thing- I think time of contact is important and more so contact with areas of the face. What I'm hearing is that having the fluid touch the eyes and nose and mouth are the worst things that can happen. Not an easy thing to do with even a current design of mask/helmet. This type of contact would be much easier in wrestling under current circumstances.

You clearly have no understanding of football. 

Kids already have a hard time with plastic visors fogging up due to humidity. Now it covers their mouth and nose too? No one will be able to see anything. May as well play blindfolded. 

Edited by SamStall365247

25 minutes ago, SamStall365247 said:

You clearly have no understanding of football. 

Kids already have a hard time with plastic visors fogging up due to humidity. Now it covers their mouth and nose too? No one will be able to see anything. May as well play blindfolded. 

Yup, you're the football knowledge King. I hear goodell called to ask your opinion. They've given up because you said it was impossible.

I don't feel like looking it up again but I earlier checked on some related things and there are those that work on fogless shields.

And how much do you have to know about a sport to know they don't run around dressed like in rugby? I never played outside of sandlot or intramurals but I have watched for over 60 years and don't remember being able to tell who was who except by looking up a number.

If they want to play bad enough, they'll figure it out. Wrestling will be harder to deal with. That's all I was saying.

Edited by gimpeltf

On 5/7/2020 at 1:10 PM, Cooch1 said:

Even if Fanta is right it's only for the time being. As 2021 approaches, the NCAA will be changing it's mind. This viral plague has a Hodge grip.

The sport will grow in a different way. The Dual Meet will mean more, maybe we'll get back to the good old days of Duals!

Young students are generally resistant to the flu, including college students. 

Student athletes even more so, especially those who compete in extreme

fitness sports (wrestling, swimming, track, soccer, basketball). It is unlikely

that any college wrestler on earth has been hospitalized, let alone died, from

COVID-19.  Though wrestlers who cut an extreme amount of weight could

wind up with a really bad cough for a few days or a week.  The only modification to

the wrestling programs could/should be a renewed emphasis on preventing too

much weight cutting.  Any other modifications to the wrestling season would

be unnecessary, the product of ignorance or hysteria among low IQ, low EQ,

or politically-oriented university, athletics or sports administrators.