Jump to content
hammerlockthree

Why is Echemendia the next big thing?

Recommended Posts

Besides soundly beating a top 10 recruit? he also easily won Fargo and had many of the top D1 programs in the NCAA recruiting him. He also wrestled half a season of folkstyle in Arizona high school fwiw. 

not sure what your standard is for being the 'next big thing'. i think he likely be a 4X AA, with higher potential, but I've been wrong before. the FloFilm that's coming out next week is absolutely more about him having a compelling story than about trying to create hype. if never qualifies for an NCAA tournament he still has an incredible story to tell. I'm quite biased but I hope everyone watches, I think you'll enjoy it!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I may have missed something, but what else has he done besides beating josh saunders?

And has he ever wrestled a folkstyle match?

When Echemendia was 15, he allegedly defeated Thomas Gilman. 

By my calculation, Gilman was 12 at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Besides soundly beating a top 10 recruit? he also easily won Fargo and had many of the top D1 programs in the NCAA recruiting him. He also wrestled half a season of folkstyle in Arizona high school fwiw. 

not sure what your standard is for being the 'next big thing'. i think he likely be a 4X AA, with higher potential, but I've been wrong before. the FloFilm that's coming out next week is absolutely more about him having a compelling story than about trying to create hype. if never qualifies for an NCAA tournament he still has an incredible story to tell. I'm quite biased but I hope everyone watches, I think you'll enjoy it!

 

Solid transition into a shameless plug!  I like it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guy is definitely in his early 20s ,doesn’t matter much now but definitely screwed a few guys at Fargo last year.

wrestling wise he’s pretty damn good on his feet but a solid top guy probably tears him up, after 8 years of Ohio state failing to get the Jordan’s or really anyone to improve much on bottom I’d say it’ll probably be a pretty big issue for AE, very possible he has a Micah Jordan type career 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

The guy is definitely in his early 20s ,doesn’t matter much now but definitely screwed a few guys at Fargo last year.

wrestling wise he’s pretty damn good on his feet but a solid top guy probably tears him up, after 8 years of Ohio state failing to get the Jordan’s or really anyone to improve much on bottom I’d say it’ll probably be a pretty big issue for AE, very possible he has a Micah Jordan type career 

 

Why do do people lump Bo in when talking about Micah's problems on bottom.  Bo may have been rode by a couple elite guys but he usually got out and the only time I remember him getting "turned: was when Amine sucked him back and stuck him his senior year.  We didn't see him ride as much later in his career when he was struggling with the toe/foot but overall Bo Jordan was an above average mat wrestler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, balanceseeker said:

Why do do people lump Bo in when talking about Micah's problems on bottom.  Bo may have been rode by a couple elite guys but he usually got out and the only time I remember him getting "turned: was when Amine sucked him back and stuck him his senior year.  We didn't see him ride as much later in his career when he was struggling with the toe/foot but overall Bo Jordan was an above average mat wrestler.

While I agree jr/sr Bo was undoubtedly affected by the foot injuries, fresh/ soph bo struggled against most above average guys from bottom ,I just think it wasn’t noticed because he was real tough on top those first 2 years and cancelled out the bottom troubles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

... He also wrestled half a season of folkstyle in Arizona high school fwiw. 

kid in my high school only wrestled half a season, folks didn't talk about him much but yeah it was a different era - pre internet/social media.  ;_;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, IronChef said:


A Micah Jordan career is a massive success. R12, 4, 6, 2 With 113 career wins. Very few top level recruits end up that good.

I didn’t say Micah Jordan had a bad career, I agree he had a great career, one that 95 percent of wrestlers would kill for , I think that AE is more likely to be a 3 time AA then a 3 time champ type of guy, mostly because of his complete lack of mat wrestling experience. 

Edited by Antitroll2828

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Echemendia is very good.  He didn't just beat saunders in the match up of fargo champs, he big brothered him. Age questions aside, he is very talented. 

 

As for the jordans both were very good. Micah would have likely been a 4 timer if he wasnt sucking so much weight for the team as a freshman. The start of that season looked very different compared to his performance post season. He was never great on bottom or the mat in general (though he did cradle up Lugo to beat him in one of their matches) compared to bo. Bo was solid, especially on top, until injuries caused him to struggle. The one wrestler who I remember making him look bad on bottom was daniel lewis who did that to pretty much everyone once he got on top

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IronChef said:


A Micah Jordan career is a massive success. R12, 4, 6, 2 With 113 career wins. Very few top level recruits end up that good.

I am not joking when I say this...you are correct, unless we are talking within fan mentality, and this forum is as deep into fan mentality as you can get. 

Here is another way to put it, Bo Jordans career is a miraculous success...are the last three years of it a success in light of his freshmen year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

Has anyone seen him wrestle on the mat yet? That’s what I’m curious about.

He got turned several times by high schoolers when he wrestled for Sunnyside. I posted a match of his against a very good for Arizona kid and Echemendia barely won 6-5.  Trust me, he's going to struggle on the mat against college guys who know how to make things hurt.  Once he figures it out he'll be better, but there's going to be a pretty steep curve I think.  Huge jump from wrestling Arizona kids in high school to wrestling grown men at an elite level in college.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

He got turned several times by high schoolers when he wrestled for Sunnyside. I posted a match of his against a very good for Arizona kid and Echemendia barely won 6-5.  Trust me, he's going to struggle on the mat against college guys who know how to make things hurt.  Once he figures it out he'll be better, but there's going to be a pretty steep curve I think.  Huge jump from wrestling Arizona kids in high school to wrestling grown men at an elite level in college.  

I know it’s still a big difference but he also wrestled 152 in HS and seems all indications are he will be wrestling 141 if he wrestles this year.   He is huge for 141 and very explosive, I don’t see many guys being able to hold him down for too long.

And doesn’t freestyle teach you not to be turned?  If anything I feel like I could see hm getting hit for stalling moreso than getting turned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I know it’s still a big difference but he also wrestled 152 in HS and seems all indications are he will be wrestling 141 if he wrestles this year.   He is huge for 141 and very explosive, I don’t see many guys being able to hold him down for too long.

And doesn’t freestyle teach you not to be turned?  If anything I feel like I could see hm getting hit for stalling moreso than getting turned.

I would say freestyle teaches you how to not expose your shoulders which is different than being held down. As an example, you don't typically need to worry about defending a cradle or armbar series in freestyle bc the top wrestler doesn't have enough time to work/set up a series like that. Slightly different things like that make a big difference when you are at the elite level of competition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to wonder if he chose Ohio State because Tommy Ryan and friends allowed Kyle Snyder to wrestle U.S. scholastic/collegiate style in meets, while practicing Freestyle full-time and competing internationally during the college season . Snyderman seemed to manage an okay career by doing that. I wonder if Dresser and company weren't interested in allowing for that.

In regards to AE being put down in college, does anyone really believe this will not be one of the first things addressed by the coaching staff once practices resume?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm sure that in the last year and a half since anyone has seen him "wrestle" stall- style, echemendia has not worked on bottom at all with anyone...

not once...

and probably will continue to not work on it...

 

 

 

anyway... an interesting article that surely swayed echemendia...

https://www.buckeyesports.com/cuban-connection-drove-anthony-echemendia-to-ohio-state/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tofurky said:

 

In regards to AE being put down in college, does anyone really believe this will not be one of the first things addressed by the coaching staff once practices resume?

He was like 20/21 yrs old getting turned by 15 16 yr old Arizona high school kids, now he’s going to a college where pretty much the only critique is guys don’t improve there mat wrestling while at Ohio State, When he faces an Eierman, Nick Lee, hell even kaid Brock he’s going to have some serious issues on the mat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

He was like 20/21 yrs old getting turned by 15 16 yr old Arizona high school kids, now he’s going to a college where pretty much the only critique is guys don’t improve there mat wrestling while at Ohio State, When he faces an Eierman, Nick Lee, hell even kaid Brock he’s going to have some serious issues on the mat.

What does his age have to do with the discussion?

Correct me if I am wrong here, but Echemendia did not train any U.S. collegiate style whatsoever before his journey to the United States, right?

You're suggesting that he will walk away after four or five years of college, having worked with Ryan, Jaggers, Stieber, Dlagnev, Jordan, and others, having not improved his ability to get out on bottom from what it is currently? Your statement is pretty dubious, don't you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...