Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Wrestlers v. Boxers: Conditioning Excellence?

I always thought the wrestlers were the best conditioned athletes except for, maybe, middle-distance runners. But the other day I happened to see on YouTube a fight between Marvin Hagler and Tommy Hearns. Wrestlers go 6 or 7 minutes. These guys went for 36 minutes in 12 rounds. And they were punching each other in the face a lot. Of course, boxers are paid millions, adding to their incentive. So do y'all think wrestlers are as fit as they are?

11 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I always thought the wrestlers were the best conditioned athletes except for, maybe, middle-distance runners. But the other day I happened to see on YouTube a fight between Marvin Hagler and Tommy Hearns. Wrestlers go 6 or 7 minutes. These guys went for 36 minutes in 12 rounds. And they were punching each other in the face a lot. Of course, boxers are paid millions, adding to their incentive. So do y'all think wrestlers are as fit as they are?

Boxers aren’t going at the constant high intensity level that wrestlers do.  Apples to oranges.  Both are exhausting, wrestlers go harder for a shorter time, boxers go pretty hard for 36 minutes.

Wrestlers also wrestle multiple matches per day for multiple days.  If wrestlers had one championship match per 6 months they could do twelve 3 minute rounds (assuming anybody would want to watch).  

With that said, if you don't train to do it, throwing punches for longer than 30 seconds is the single most exhausting thing on earth.  

4 hours ago, jchapman said:

. So do y'all think wrestlers are as fit as they are?

They can be. And some aren’t. But both sports are extremely taxing. When going 3 rounds, an in shape person who isn’t familiar, may feel the gloves are like lead weights on their arms. 
Another sport that is equally physically taxing is ice hockey.  Not mentioned very often as a physical sport, but equally as tough as wrestling and boxing. I would say the top 3 most taxing sports.  

12 minutes ago, southend said:

They can be. And some aren’t. But both sports are extremely taxing. When going 3 rounds, an in shape person who isn’t familiar, may feel the gloves are like lead weights on their arms. 
Another sport that is equally physically taxing is ice hockey.  Not mentioned very often as a physical sport, but equally as tough as wrestling and boxing. I would say the top 3 most taxing sports.  

That was not my quote

1 hour ago, southend said:

A sport people don't realize that is difficult physically is motocross.  It might look easy, but having to control a bke that weighs a few hundred pounds and maneuver it under those conditions is not easy to do and requires a lot of strength.  It also requires a lot of coordination and body awareness.  

The Hearns VS Hagler Fight was over in the 3rd Round about 8 Minutes,  It was all out war the Whole Fight, even though it was over in 3 Rounds it was am Amazing Pace, Rarely Seen.  

Edited by dougb

IMO both are the incredibly taxing. I once heard a boxer talk about relaxing and controlling your breath during a bout. You get one minute breaks but you also have to take a step back when you can and maybe cover up and absorb a little to give your arms a rest. Of course if the other guy doesn’t need to slow down because he’s in better shape you’re in deep trouble.

There is no time to slow down or relax during a wrestling match and if you try you’ll get scored on. Plus, refs can hit you for stalling if you take a break. I was always dead after a six minute match. I’d run 3 miles before practice six days a week, then I’d practice, do live wrestling then do conditioning which was sandbags or sprints or bear crawl or some other kind of torture. Then I’d go home and eat next to nothing then go out and run another five to six miles. Then after all of that training I’d only be good for about four minutes. I think if I could have eaten during the season I’d have been better off.

Not much of a comparison. I boxed a couple summers in Jr High (nothing better to do!). Wrestling is far tougher than boxing, conditioning wise, at the amateur level. The only thing Boxing has on wrestling is the matches are longer (but not by that much): Golden Gloves has 3 3 minute rounds (sometimes 2 minute rounds).  Professional boxing of the 8 or 12 round variety is probably pretty brutal, though.

14 hours ago, southend said:

LaCrosse is considered to be pretty tough, too.

9 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Not much of a comparison. I boxed a couple summers in Jr High (nothing better to do!). Wrestling is far tougher than boxing, conditioning wise, at the amateur level. The only thing Boxing has on wrestling is the matches are longer (but not by that much): Golden Gloves has 3 3 minute rounds (sometimes 2 minute rounds).  Professional boxing of the 8 or 12 round variety is probably pretty brutal, though.

Individual matches are generally longer in boxing, do they have equivalent tournaments where you do several in a day? I know they don't professionally.

9 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

LaCrosse is considered to be pretty tough, too.

Another is Water Polo. I worked events with the NHSCA and for several years they had a SEAL exhibition on the side. The SEALs would say their two favorite sports to recruit from were wrestling and water polo.

15 hours ago, boconnell said:

With that said, if you don't train to do it, throwing punches for longer than 30 seconds is the single most exhausting thing on earth.  

For those who have not train in the sport, wrestling hard for 30 seconds is the single most exhausting thing on earth.  In a boxing match if you are throwing punches full speed you will get countered, so there has to be a measure pace to punching, not so in wrestling

17 hours ago, dougb said:

The Hearns VS Hagler Fight was over in the 3rd Round about 8 Minutes,  It was all out war the Whole Fight, even though it was over in 3 Rounds it was am Amazing Pace, Rarely Seen.  

They had another fight that went the distance.

MY BAD: I was wrong!

Edited by NJDan

15 hours ago, southend said:

No way on ice hockey... I played for many years and it just not the same.  There is a reason Gordie Howe played well into his fifties and there are Senior leagues for hockey full of out of shape old men who can still enjoy playing hockey.  Lets see a comparable bunch have fun in a recreational senior wrestling league

11 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Individual matches are generally longer in boxing, do they have equivalent tournaments where you do several in a day? I know they don't professionally.

Olympic boxing matches are three rounds.

30 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I just boxed individual matches and never entered a boxing tournament. Good thing too, I was pretty mediocre as a boxer (I'd be even uglier if I'd boxed more matches!). But I think they have tournaments with more than 1 match a day.

30 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Another is Water Polo. I worked events with the NHSCA and for several years they had a SEAL exhibition on the side. The SEALs would say their two favorite sports to recruit from were wrestling and water polo.

I've heard water polo is especially grueling for newcomers to the sport.

22 minutes ago, Jim L said:

No way on ice hockey... I played for many years and it just not the same.  There is a reason Gordie Howe played well into his fifties and there are Senior leagues for hockey full of out of shape old men who can still enjoy playing hockey.  Lets see a comparable bunch have fun in a recreational senior wrestling league

I know a couple 50+ guys who still play hockey. One is a semi-professional in California who is a brilliant satellite engineer, and the other is a gay man in Colorado (don't know what he does for a living). One thing I know about both those guys: they are tough dudes. The engineer actually had fluid dripping from his nose that wouldn't stop, he went to a doctor after a week or so and the doctor said he had a cracked skull and the fluid was from his cranium!

If you put a wrestler in a marathon or distance swimming event, he will be exhausted. If you put a distance runner or swimmer in a wrestling match, each will be exhausted. The same is true for boxing-different sports lead to different types of endurance. Even competitive chess involves a level of endurance that is unique. 

6 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

If you put a wrestler in a marathon or distance swimming event, he will be exhausted. If you put a distance runner or swimmer in a wrestling match, each will be exhausted. The same is true for boxing-different sports lead to different types of endurance. Even competitive chess involves a level of endurance that is unique. 

this is the only answer that matters...

FYI... chess masters can burn up to 6000 calories a day in a tourney... just sitting there and using their noodle...

if that doesn't make C+C music factory and you go HMMMM? then i don't know what will...