Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Wrestlers v. Boxers: Conditioning Excellence?

49 minutes ago, AKHUNTER said:

I have a buddy that was 3 time world boxing champion. He wrestled in HS and told me wrestling was much harder conditioning wise.

Come on man, tell us his name. Everybody here already knows wrestling is tougher anyway :D

17 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

If you put a wrestler in a marathon or distance swimming event, he will be exhausted. If you put a distance runner or swimmer in a wrestling match, each will be exhausted. The same is true for boxing-different sports lead to different types of endurance. Even competitive chess involves a level of endurance that is unique. 

You are aware the first world Chess Champion, Steinitz, was about 5'1" and 200 pounds? :D

Just busting your chops. But I do think it's hilarious when people mention the importance of stamina in chess :D

1 hour ago, gimpeltf said:

Another is Water Polo. I worked events with the NHSCA and for several years they had a SEAL exhibition on the side. The SEALs would say their two favorite sports to recruit from were wrestling and water polo.

I've heard the same about water polo.  Only goalies are allowed to touch the bottom of the pool, and there are a lot cheap shots under the water.

https://www.insider.com/is-water-polo-hard-olympics-2016-8

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/832927-what-is-the-worlds-toughest-sport#slide12

29 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

New approach to cutting weight? 

You'd have to teach the wrestlers how the pieces move, first. Considering most D1 wrestlers don't know how to ride properly despite having wrestled for 10 years I'm not optimistic of your chances....

Edited by TobusRex

6 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Yeah I know, but as a guy who wrestled and who plays chess all I can say is "really???".  It's like car racing, another "sport" where a guy sits on his ass for hours :D

comparing what you are doing when you "play" chess to what a grand master is doing is akin to me claiming i am a wrestler because i have been a  practice dummy a handful of times over the years...

your comments on any form of racing is just more examples of the same... you just have no clue at all... 

2 minutes ago, LJB said:

comparing what you are doing when you "play" chess to what a grand master is doing is akin to me claiming i am a wrestler because i have been a  practice dummy a handful of times over the years...

your comments on any form of racing is just more examples of the same... you just have no clue at all... 

"you have no clue at all"...wow, that's just what the guys arguing "racing is a sport, despite the fact the car does 100% of the work' say....

4 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

"you have no clue at all"...wow, that's just what the guys arguing "racing is a sport, despite the fact the car does 100% of the work' say....

well, clearly you do not...

but, this not news...

4 hours ago, Jim L said:

For those who have not train in the sport, wrestling hard for 30 seconds is the single most exhausting thing on earth.  In a boxing match if you are throwing punches full speed you will get countered, so there has to be a measure pace to punching, not so in wrestling

I wrestled for the first time in 10th grade.  I was in good shape from other sports when I started but wrestling was brutal.  

When I was in phenomenal wrestling shape I tried boxing for fun and felt like I had anvils tied to my arms.  Throwing punches in gloves without prior training was tiring like nothing I've ever experienced.  Throwing punches with gloves on is an alien thing to the human body and if you're not used to it you punch yourself out immediately.

2 hours ago, lu_alum said:

I've heard the same about water polo.  Only goalies are allowed to touch the bottom of the pool, and there are a lot cheap shots under the water.

https://www.insider.com/is-water-polo-hard-olympics-2016-8

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/832927-what-is-the-worlds-toughest-sport#slide12

I coached a kid who just finished 8 years in the Navy Seals.  He said it seemed like 1/3 were wrestlers, 1/3 were water polo or swimming, and 1/3 were other athletes in HS.  Said the water polo guys were the only ones in comparable shape to the wrestlers.  

4 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I've heard water polo is especially grueling for newcomers to the sport.

I can attest to that having played one game of intramural water polo while in college and in very good shape. after one period (quarter?) I was completely exhausted and spent the rest of the game just treading water trying not to drown

an entire thread about how your body will get tired doing something it is not conditioned to do, but, after time your body will get used to doing it...

duh...

the only really interesting thing about this is how the mind works within those constraints... how stress plays a factor in fatigue... how much energy can be used by just thinking...

On 5/4/2020 at 2:34 PM, NJDan said:

I always thought the wrestlers were the best conditioned athletes exor, maybe, middle-distance runners. But the other day I happened to see on YouTube a fight between Marvin Hagler and Tommy Hearns. Wrestlers go 6 or 7 minutes. These guys went for 36 minutes in 12 rounds. And they were punching each other in the face a lot. Of course, boxers are paid millions, adding to their incentive. So do y'all think wrestlers are as fit as they are?

http://www.paynesvillearea.com/news/sportsarticles/archives/111203/1112johnmorgan.html 

The last paragraph of this article speaks a bit to my background (I only share this to provide credibility to my comment).  I grew up doing both and my freshman/redshirt year at NDSU I won the ND Golden Gloves tournament.   Then lost in the finals of what is known as the Upper Midwest GG Boxing Championships.  Then went back to wrestling.  I was the transition athlete (did both) in the family as three older brothers all boxed and me and my two younger brothers took to wrestling. 

Wrestling training and competing is more demanding and tiring than boxing.  As you all know, if you train appropriately and get into top shape, the training and competing become much easier.

Boxing you stand more straight up keeping your feet underneath you and stay REAL loose.  Boxing training consisted of running but no weight training (you didn't need it to punch hard), and a lot of shadow boxing, sparring, and rope skipping.  Amateur's were 3, 3 minute rounds and were not as tiring as wrestling.  If your good, you don't take punches flush and you go with everything and shots glance off you.   As you compete against better fighters it is inevitable you will take one square in the nose or the chin (this is rare for good fighters).  However, if your not in shape, too muscle bound, or to tight, you can wear yourself out quickly and can get yourself hurt.

In summary, the two sports are just different and each has their unique challenges in training and competing.

2 hours ago, boconnell said:

I wrestled for the first time in 10th grade.  I was in good shape from other sports when I started but wrestling was brutal.  

When I was in phenomenal wrestling shape I tried boxing for fun and felt like I had anvils tied to my arms.  Throwing punches in gloves without prior training was tiring like nothing I've ever experienced.  Throwing punches with gloves on is an alien thing to the human body and if you're not used to it you punch yourself out immediately.

Remember what it was like going from football to wrestling season? We had a pretty good football team and my Sr year we made it to the state quarterfinals (3 games deep in playoffs). When we finally lost on a Friday I had my first wrestling match the next Monday (didn't even have 1 wrestling practice before starting the season that year!). I was in great "football shape", but I nearly lost to a fish from Catoosa in my first match back, beating him only 10-9. I was sucking wind the entire match. It wasn't until 2 or 3 weeks later that I quit sucking wind.

5 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Come on man, tell us his name. Everybody here already knows wrestling is tougher anyway :D

His name is Greg "mutt" Haugen. 3 time light weight champion............ first person to beat Hector "macho" Camacho (Camacho was like 43-0 at the time.). Beat Vinnie Pazienza(sp). Knocked Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini out.  Boxed, and lost, to Cezar Chavez in Mexico city before about 105,000 people........... NOBODY was gonna beat Chavez in Mexico city........... not and live anyway.

56 minutes ago, AKHUNTER said:

His name is Greg "mutt" Haugen. 3 time light weight champion............ first person to beat Hector "macho" Camacho (Camacho was like 43-0 at the time.). Beat Vinnie Pazienza(sp). Knocked Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini out.  Boxed, and lost, to Cezar Chavez in Mexico city before about 105,000 people........... NOBODY was gonna beat Chavez in Mexico city........... not and live anyway.

Greg Haugen is one tough dude and great fighter.

I've heard rugby is damned taxing from a few former wrestlers.  To me, the Tour de France is the winner.  Roughly 3 weeks of mountain racing.  I've heard it's tougher than running 17 straight marathons, in the mountains.  Three of this year's legs had over 6500' climb in one freaking day.  To each their own, but that's different level stuff there.  Like was noted earlier it's a different kind of shape.  I watched Lance Armstrong win and lose over two years at the Leadville, 100.  It's a hundred mile race, I believe it had 12,000' of climb.  I've done a thousand a couple of times...Let's just say, I have amazing appreciation for what those guys can do.

39 minutes ago, Peso said:

I've heard rugby is damned taxing from a few former wrestlers.  To me, the Tour de France is the winner.  Roughly 3 weeks of mountain racing.  I've heard it's tougher than running 17 straight marathons, in the mountains.  Three of this year's legs had over 6500' climb in one freaking day.  To each their own, but that's different level stuff there.  Like was noted earlier it's a different kind of shape.  I watched Lance Armstrong win and lose over two years at the Leadville, 100.  It's a hundred mile race, I believe it had 12,000' of climb.  I've done a thousand a couple of times...Let's just say, I have amazing appreciation for what those guys can do.

i would agree cyclists are in unreal condition.