Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Wrestlers v. Boxers: Conditioning Excellence?

13 hours ago, Peso said:

I've heard rugby is damned taxing from a few former wrestlers.  To me, the Tour de France is the winner.  Roughly 3 weeks of mountain racing.  I've heard it's tougher than running 17 straight marathons, in the mountains.  Three of this year's legs had over 6500' climb in one freaking day.  To each their own, but that's different level stuff there.  Like was noted earlier it's a different kind of shape.  I watched Lance Armstrong win and lose over two years at the Leadville, 100.  It's a hundred mile race, I believe it had 12,000' of climb.  I've done a thousand a couple of times...Let's just say, I have amazing appreciation for what those guys can do.

Have you ever read about how those guys survive that race by eating insane amounts of calories?  The things they do to keep their intake high while bike riding seem worse than starving myself to make weight.  

15 hours ago, AKHUNTER said:

His name is Greg "mutt" Haugen. 3 time light weight champion............ first person to beat Hector "macho" Camacho (Camacho was like 43-0 at the time.). Beat Vinnie Pazienza(sp). Knocked Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini out.  Boxed, and lost, to Cezar Chavez in Mexico city before about 105,000 people........... NOBODY was gonna beat Chavez in Mexico city........... not and live anyway.

The name sounds familiar. Brawler type?

14 hours ago, Peso said:

I've heard rugby is damned taxing from a few former wrestlers.  To me, the Tour de France is the winner.  Roughly 3 weeks of mountain racing.  I've heard it's tougher than running 17 straight marathons, in the mountains.  Three of this year's legs had over 6500' climb in one freaking day.  To each their own, but that's different level stuff there.  Like was noted earlier it's a different kind of shape.  I watched Lance Armstrong win and lose over two years at the Leadville, 100.  It's a hundred mile race, I believe it had 12,000' of climb.  I've done a thousand a couple of times...Let's just say, I have amazing appreciation for what those guys can do.

Yeah, the bicycle riding looks brutal. Those mountain stages look like torture.

I can't believe Lance Armstrong copped to steroids, he should've kept that secret until he died.

19 hours ago, John Morgan said:

http://www.paynesvillearea.com/news/sportsarticles/archives/111203/1112johnmorgan.html 

The last paragraph of this article speaks a bit to my background (I only share this to provide credibility to my comment).  I grew up doing both and my freshman/redshirt year at NDSU I won the ND Golden Gloves tournament.   Then lost in the finals of what is known as the Upper Midwest GG Boxing Championships.  Then went back to wrestling.  I was the transition athlete (did both) in the family as three older brothers all boxed and me and my two younger brothers took to wrestling. 

Wrestling training and competing is more demanding and tiring than boxing.  As you all know, if you train appropriately and get into top shape, the training and competing become much easier.

Boxing you stand more straight up keeping your feet underneath you and stay REAL loose.  Boxing training consisted of running but no weight training (you didn't need it to punch hard), and a lot of shadow boxing, sparring, and rope skipping.  Amateur's were 3, 3 minute rounds and were not as tiring as wrestling.  If your good, you don't take punches flush and you go with everything and shots glance off you.   As you compete against better fighters it is inevitable you will take one square in the nose or the chin (this is rare for good fighters).  However, if your not in shape, too muscle bound, or to tight, you can wear yourself out quickly and can get yourself hurt.

In summary, the two sports are just different and each has their unique challenges in training and competing.

The Morgans are one tough family.  I believe I competed in the same Greco tourney in Albany NY (NE Regionals) as you and at least one of your brothers in the Spring of 1991.

On 5/4/2020 at 3:34 PM, NJDan said:

I always thought the wrestlers were the best conditioned athletes except for, maybe, middle-distance runners. But the other day I happened to see on YouTube a fight between Marvin Hagler and Tommy Hearns. Wrestlers go 6 or 7 minutes. These guys went for 36 minutes in 12 rounds. And they were punching each other in the face a lot. Of course, boxers are paid millions, adding to their incentive. So do y'all think wrestlers are as fit as they are?

Hagler vs hearns was 3rd round ko. 

On 5/5/2020 at 1:16 PM, AKHUNTER said:

I have a buddy that was 3 time world boxing champion. He wrestled in HS and told me wrestling was much harder conditioning wise.

Only world champion boxer I can think of that was a decent high school wrestler is Kermit Cintron

12 minutes ago, portajohn said:

Only world champion boxer I can think of that was a decent high school wrestler is Kermit Cintron

I think it depends.  I think a guy like Khabib could wrestle all day and is more likely to get winded striking.  On other hand, Conor would get winded grabbling.

On 5/5/2020 at 7:44 PM, AKHUNTER said:

Where is it you know Greg from?

My Friend Irleis "Cubanito" Perez knows Haugen , he went to Haugen's wedding,  Perez had signed to fight then Champion Haugen for the Title, and then Bob Arum had Perez sign to face Pazienza in his first Defense (Contingent on Perez beating Haugen) Haugen's team decided to fight Pazienza and NOT Perez,  Haugen's OWN TEAM said they wanted to fight Pazienza, because Pazienza was an easier fight for more Money, So Perez and Haugen NEVER FOUGHT,  they were good friends, but Perez was upset (Which Haugen's team said they totally understand) They were interviewed together by Al Bernstein and Perez Called Haugen a Chicken Champion who was more interested in making money.  That was the end of that friendship.

12 hours ago, dougb said:

My Friend Irleis "Cubanito" Perez knows Haugen , he went to Haugen's wedding,  Perez had signed to fight then Champion Haugen for the Title, and then Bob Arum had Perez sign to face Pazienza in his first Defense (Contingent on Perez beating Haugen) Haugen's team decided to fight Pazienza and NOT Perez,  Haugen's OWN TEAM said they wanted to fight Pazienza, because Pazienza was an easier fight for more Money, So Perez and Haugen NEVER FOUGHT,  they were good friends, but Perez was upset (Which Haugen's team said they totally understand) They were interviewed together by Al Bernstein and Perez Called Haugen a Chicken Champion who was more interested in making money.  That was the end of that friendship.

I remember that interview.

One of my buddies coaches Bud Crawford's kids in a youth wrestling club in Omaha.  Obviously everything is on hold right now but when practices and tournaments resume, I could have him ask the champ his thoughts on the subject.  I know that there is definitely a ton of mutual respect between athletes in these combat sports, otherwise a man who is arguably the best pound for pound fighter in the world probably wouldn't be dragging his kids to wrestling practices and kids' tournaments on Sundays (and yes, he does go to the tournaments).