Sign in to follow this  
jerbufoon

HINDSIGHT

OSU did the best they could. That PSU had Brown, Quentin Wright, and Megaludis all in the finals, was ridiculous.

Testament to Cael if you ask me. 5 in the finals again, and I see no reason they won't have 5 in the finals again next year.

Who was it that called me nuts for saying that PSU would win even if Iowa had 8 All Americans. I know they didn't but Minnesota did. How many did OK ST have?

OSU did the best they could. That PSU had Brown, Quentin Wright, and Megaludis all in the finals, was ridiculous.

Testament to Cael if you ask me. 5 in the finals again, and I see no reason they won't have 5 in the finals again next year.

Who was it that called me nuts for saying that PSU would win even if Iowa had 8 All Americans. I know they didn't but Minnesota did. How many did OK ST have?

7 I think. 133,149,157,165,174,197, HWT

Ok State basically had a perfect day, and Penn State still won the title. Pretty amazing what Cael is doing.

Ok State basically had a perfect day, and Penn State still won the title. Pretty amazing what Cael is doing.

Yes, Cael is unreal. By far the best current college coach. The numbers the past 7 years just do not lie.

I would love to see someone compile a list of coaching statistics from the past 7 years comparing Cael, Brands, Smith, Robinson, Koll etc.

Number of AAs

Number of Champions

Number of National Qualifiers

Team placements

Any thing else

Yes, Cael is unreal. By far the best current college coach. The numbers the past 7 years just do not lie.

I would love to see someone compile a list of coaching statistics from the past 7 years comparing Cael, Brands, Smith, Robinson, Koll etc.

Number of AAs

Number of Champions

Number of National Qualifiers

Team placements

Any thing else

You just said that Cael is by far the best current college coach because the numbers do not lie, than asked someone to compile the numbers.

You just said that Cael is by far the best current college coach because the numbers do not lie, than asked someone to compile the numbers.

Here are the numbers I know. 1, 1, 1 last 3 years

The numbers I do not know for other coaches, but I bet you could do Brands pretty easy for me.

I guarantee Cael matches up well against anyone.

1,1,1,2,3,5,9 = 3.14 are his places. (I doubt any coach can match that)

Qualifiers he has 6,8,9,10,10,10,10 = 63 qualifiers (I'd be surprised if any coach can match that).

8 individuals champs (I assume someone has 8, maybe more)

AA's- 2007-4, 2008-7, 2009-4, 2010-3, 2011-5, 2012-6, 2013-5 = 34 total ( this is probably the one area Cael might be as low as 3rd or 4th)

The numbers I do not know for other coaches, but I bet you could do Brands pretty easy for me.

Qualifiers he has 6,8,9,10,10,10,10 = 63 qualifiers (I'd be surprised if any coach can match that).

AA's- 2007-4, 2008-7, 2009-4, 2010-3, 2011-5, 2012-6, 2013-5 = 34 total ( this is probably the one area Cael might be as low as 3rd or 4th)

Because I love you, I did Brands pretty quick:

Average Placement: 3.00 (8, 1, 1, 1, 3, 3, 4)

Qualifiers: 62 (8, 9, 9, 10, 9, 8, 9)

Champs: 8

All Americans: 38 (3, 7, 5, 8, 5, 6, 4)

Because I love you, I did Brands pretty quick:

Average Placement: 3.00 (8, 1, 1, 1, 3, 3, 4)

Qualifiers: 62 (8, 9, 9, 10, 9, 8, 9)

Champs: 8

All Americans: 38 (3, 7, 5, 8, 5, 6, 4)

Okay I admit, Brands is way better than I thought over the past 7 years. Just be glad my parameters left off Brands' two years prior to that. Haha.

So of the four measures we used Brands > Cael in 2, Cael > Brands in 1, and both have 8 champs

Sig Bet that after next year Cael breaks the tie and surpasses Brands in one of the other categories?

Smith (last 7 years)

Average placement: 6.3 (of course Smith won 4 in a row before 2007, which would lower his average to 4.4)

Qualifiers: ?

Champs: 4

All Americans: 26

Scary thing is Cael's age. People forget how young he is to already have that kind of resume.......

OSU had a great tournament (2 Champs/7 AAs) and would of won it many years. They had an awesome Medal Round.

Minnesota also had a great tournament (1 Champ/8 AAs) and would of won it many years. They had an awesome Round of 12.

Penn State had a great tournament by their top guys (2 Champs/5 Finalist). They had an awesome Semifinals Rounds.

Not sure there has ever been a tournament with three teams performing like this.

No doubt Cael is a great coach, but I think the better testiment for him is how good he is at recruiting. He inherited Ruth and Q and without them I would say Cael has 0 National Team titles. Obviously, he probably helped make both better wrestlers, but with their talent levels I am sure other coaches could have done the same. He gets the top guys and most have gone on to do great things. David Taylor was a very special recruit and has lived up to the hype. Now the Altons, top recruit, but not having the success that was expected of them(4xAA, a championship or two). Nico and Macintosh are a couple more top level recruits that Cael has gotten in the doors. Nico has surpassed expectations and we will see about MM. My point being is that how much coaching have most of these guys required? I would guess that if you put them on any of the top ten teams that they would have similar results. IMO Cael's greatest coaching performance so far is the improvement that Conaway and Pearsall made this past season. Again I don't mean any of this as a knock on Cael, cuz he is a good coach, just saying the talent he recruits into the room helps. I'm curious to see his results once Taylor and Ruth are graduated cuz man those two are special.

Cael's had a great run, but these things do go in cycles. You saw Brands numbers and you may remember Smith's run of four in a row.

From 1997-203 the Gophers averaged 2nd place at NCAA's. They had 6 champs and 43 AA's. I didn't calculate the number of NCAA qualifiers but generally it is a team effort for Minny requiring 9/10 guys.

No doubt Cael's success has been extraordinary, and I don't see any less than 1st for the Nittany Lions next year, and they will continue to have a lot of success. I admire Cael for what he's been able to do with that team.

No doubt Cael is a great coach, but I think the better testiment for him is how good he is at recruiting. He inherited Ruth and Q and without them I would say Cael has 0 National Team titles.

As for his recruiting - part of being a great coach is recruiting. Without the ability to recruit, it is impossible for a team to have success. He may have inherited a few wrestlers, but it's not like Cael isn't developing those wrestlers into phenomenally successful wrestlers.

Cornell has also enjoyed some success over the past few years. I don't know why the "past seven years" was chosen as the indicator of recent success in programs, but I ran those numbers anyway:

NCAA Place finishes: 12,9,5,2,2,4,5 = 5.57 Average

53 NQ (8,6,8,7,8,9,7)

30 AA (4,4,4,4,5,5,4)

8 Champs

So, Cornell is right there with PSU and Iowa for # of champs - and I believe Cornell will be team champ within the next 5 years.

No doubt Cael's success has been extraordinary, and I don't see any less than 1st for the Nittany Lions next year, and they will continue to have a lot of success. I admire Cael for what he's been able to do with that team.

No doubt Cael is a great coach, but I think the better testiment for him is how good he is at recruiting. He inherited Ruth and Q and without them I would say Cael has 0 National Team titles.

As for his recruiting - part of being a great coach is recruiting. Without the ability to recruit, it is impossible for a team to have success. He may have inherited a few wrestlers, but it's not like Cael isn't developing those wrestlers into phenomenally successful wrestlers.

Cornell has also enjoyed some success over the past few years. I don't know why the "past seven years" was chosen as the indicator of recent success in programs, but I ran those numbers anyway:

NCAA Place finishes: 12,9,5,2,2,4,5 = 5.57 Average

53 NQ (8,6,8,7,8,9,7)

30 AA (4,4,4,4,5,5,4)

8 Champs

So, Cornell is right there with PSU and Iowa for # of champs - and I believe Cornell will be team champ within the next 5 years.

The past 7 years was not just a random number I chose. Cael has only been a head coach for 7 years, so it's all the data we have for him.

I would be surprised if Cornell wins a title. They blew their best chance a few years back.

Stan Abel who was a pretty good coach told me he looks to see if kids on a team are doing a lot of the same things, if they are it means they are buying into the coach's philosophy. Two years his assessment was Cael was a pretty good coach. He said he doesn't change a kid's style, but there are certain things the team does well as a whole. Penn State gets off the bottom quickly (except against Kyle Dake, but then no one gets away easily from him), they are very good with the cradle series, which was a big part of Cael's offense in college.

If you don't have the horses. I was in a conversation Saturday night with a former college head coach who had a NCAA championship team and was a champ himself (that is a pretty exclusive club). He said the number one thing a head coach has to be good at is evaluating talent. He said there are a 100 coaches who could have coached Kyle Dake to a championship.

Cael learned a lot from his dad Steve Sanderson who was an outstanding high school coach. Bobby Douglas has akways been a great evaluator of talent. I think Cael realized he couldn't beat Iowa in recruiting instate, which is why he called Penn State when the job was open. He knew he could win the recruiting battle in the state that annually produces more top high school wrestlers than any other state.

Cael learned a long time ago it takes talent to win national chsmpionships. That is why Iowa isn't winning them right now they don't have as good of athletes as Penn State, Oklahoma State, and Minnesota.

No doubt Cael is a great coach, but I think the better testiment for him is how good he is at recruiting. He inherited Ruth and Q and without them I would say Cael has 0 National Team titles. Obviously, he probably helped make both better wrestlers, but with their talent levels I am sure other coaches could have done the same. He gets the top guys and most have gone on to do great things. David Taylor was a very special recruit and has lived up to the hype. Now the Altons, top recruit, but not having the success that was expected of them(4xAA, a championship or two). Nico and Macintosh are a couple more top level recruits that Cael has gotten in the doors. Nico has surpassed expectations and we will see about MM. My point being is that how much coaching have most of these guys required? I would guess that if you put them on any of the top ten teams that they would have similar results. IMO Cael's greatest coaching performance so far is the improvement that Conaway and Pearsall made this past season. Again I don't mean any of this as a knock on Cael, cuz he is a good coach, just saying the talent he recruits into the room helps. I'm curious to see his results once Taylor and Ruth are graduated cuz man those two are special.

You could say the same thing about almost all of the top teams/coaches (Brands at Iowa, Smith of OkSt., etc.). They all get great talent in the room and recruiting is a huge part of their success.

Stan Abel who was a pretty good coach told me he looks to see if kids on a team are doing a lot of the same things, if they are it means they are buying into the coach's philosophy.

Biggest thing in common all Cael's kids do is get after it offensively. They're always looking to run up the score; always looking to pin. And that's up and down the line-up. That's a coaching philosophy that's very hard to impart, as demonstrated by the fact that all wrestling coaches tell their kids the same thing, but very few teams, as a whole, are able to implement it.