fullnelson

Cael's redshirt year

Big Dake and Cornell fan but still have to put Cal ahead of Dake based on Dake taking sophomore losses to Donnie Vison and KevinLevalley for EWIA title. Other 2 losses were when he was a true freshman.

28 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

Big Dake and Cornell fan but still have to put Cal ahead of Dake based on Dake taking sophomore losses to Donnie Vison and KevinLevalley for EWIA title. Other 2 losses were when he was a true freshman.

*** Dake wasn't wearing blue tinted glasses indoor during his sophomore campaign and he hadn't started the de-aging process yet, so those losses do not count.  He may have still been stretching after exercise as well..

43 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

Winning 4 titles in 4 different weights is more impressive than 4 Titles in one weight regardless of how many losses dake had

7 minutes ago, Wrestlingfan25 said:

Winning 4 titles in 4 different weights is more impressive than 4 Titles in one weight regardless of how many losses dake had

Not if you actually watched how Cael wrestled, the continual fluid motion, and how easily he controlled the matches.  

Also, consider everyone gets sick at some point, has an off day etc., yet he never lost over the 4 years and never looked like he might or could lose.

7 minutes ago, Schuteandscore said:

He won at 2 weight classes, but see your point.

Yeah like imagine a ufc fighter winning a title in 3 weight classes (since there are less ufc weight classes) they would probably be considered the goat over khabib who has never lost 

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Not if you actually watched how Cael wrestled, the continual fluid motion, and how easily he controlled the matches.  

Also, consider everyone gets sick at some point, has an off day etc., yet he never lost over the 4 years and never looked like he might or could lose.

I believe he was trailing Hahn in the 3rd pd in a match early in his career, then pulled it out for a one pt victory; maybe someone can find that match result details.

2 hours ago, Wrestlingfan25 said:

Never really understood how winning four different weight classes in any better than winning the same weight class 4X.  He gained weight every year and was wrestling guys in his weight class.  He was not wrestling four weight classes above his ideal weight, because that weight was too easy for him.

What was impressive about Dake was not taking a redshirt year and beating Taylor his senior year.

2 hours ago, Wrestlingfan25 said:

I see your point also but if your using titles 4 conference titles to 3 breaks that criteria. I chalk the Vison loss up to Familarity and clash of styles.

Edited by Sublime607

2 hours ago, Jim L said:

Never really understood how winning four different weight classes in any better than winning the same weight class 4X.  He gained weight every year and was wrestling guys in his weight class.  He was not wrestling four weight classes above his ideal weight, because that weight was too easy for him.

What was impressive about Dake was not taking a redshirt year and beating Taylor his senior year.

Dake could have easily gone 57 his senior year...... what was/is impressive is he went up to go after Taylor. To me that cements his legend.

6 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

Does Cael have anyone as good as 2 victories over taylor?

Would you put DC in same category as Taylor?

40 minutes ago, AKHUNTER said:

Dake could have easily gone 57 his senior year...... what was/is impressive is he went up to go after Taylor. To me that cements his legend.

Agreed... This was impressive, that fact that it was a different weight than the other three years, not as much

28 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Does Cael have anyone as good as 2 victories over taylor?

Would you put DC in same category as Taylor?

Not in my opinion. Taylor is an all time great. DC not as much in college. Better post collegiate career in wrestling as well as mma 

2 hours ago, AKHUNTER said:

I asked him that once after he graduated. He didn't directly answer but looked at me and smiled.

2 hours ago, AKHUNTER said:

If Taylor hadn't been bubba'd then sure, but ... 

On 5/11/2020 at 2:49 AM, shieldofpistis said:

How would you compare Cael and dake accomplishment wise in college career?

About even. Cael was more dominant but against weaker competition. Dake had more losses but against better competition (Plus Dake's losses were "fluky"). Cael was "unbeaten", but he didn't win it all as a true freshman and didn't win 4 titles in successively higher weights.