Sign in to follow this  
Idaho

College Wrestling in the West - Pac12

Thanks for posting the link to that article.  Interesting - to me at least - to see it confirmed that the PAC 12 (which I've said for a VERY long time - is run by idiots) would not permit Fresno State back into the PAC 12 for wrestling and THAT was why they chose to go to the Big 12.   But maybe calling the powers that be in the PAC 12 "idiots" isn't accurate.  That term is not harsh enough to fully describe their idiocy.

Yep - and then BSU dropped while they were about to finalize their Big 12 contract - should have let them in to begin with. The good news is that they ended up in a bad spot because of it and now seem to be open to adding teams as this article and one from last Spring seem to indicate. The best solution is to create a Pac12 that includes all Western teams - FSU, Cal Baptist, N.Colorado, Airforce, UVU and Wyoming in addition OSU, ASU, Cal Poly, Cal Bake and Stanford. - That's a solid 11 team conference. I'm glad that ALR was added to keep the conference with allocations- it's good for the conference and the team, but it's not the solution for the long term.  

Larry Scott is an advocate of the non-revenue Olympic sports bc he believes one of the conference’s strongest points of differentiation is its physical & cultural proximity to the APAC-Oceania region, specifically China, where he sees future  opportunities for growth and media monetization - which is actually a smart strategy, imo. That’s why the Pac pushes a lot of gymnastics, tennis, golf, swimming, etc. alongside the big money sports. If NCAA wrestling was MFS & WFS it would probably receive a bit more support from the commissioner’s office. Not trying to say it would magically solve everything; just that it might be better prioritized. In the meantime, Pac wresting is a geographic mess with affiliate members that are more repulsive to the chancellors and presidents than appealing. 

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Yep - and then BSU dropped while they were about to finalize their Big 12 contract - should have let them in to begin with. The good news is that they ended up in a bad spot because of it and now seem to be open to adding teams as this article and one from last Spring seem to indicate. The best solution is to create a Pac12 that includes all Western teams - FSU, Cal Baptist, N.Colorado, Airforce, UVU and Wyoming in addition OSU, ASU, Cal Poly, Cal Bake and Stanford. - That's a solid 11 team conference. I'm glad that ALR was added to keep the conference with allocations- it's good for the conference and the team, but it's not the solution for the long term.  

Dropped is one word for what happened to Boise State's wrestling program.  Blind-sided and sabotaged by a deceitful (now former) school President are other words that fit.

I think the very best solution for the PAC 12 would be for the actual PAC 12 schools to add wrestling as a team sport.  Schools like Washington, Washington State, Oregon,, etc.  If the PAC 12 had six full-members with wrestling programs they would have no need for affiliate programs.

Edited by Bronco
add

Nice share. Did I read correctly that a conference spokesman said they’ve always only supported 3 affiliates to make a 6 team conference? Does this person even know the history of the conference? There were several more than that a few years back.

21 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

Nice share. Did I read correctly that a conference spokesman said they’ve always only supported 3 affiliates to make a 6 team conference? Does this person even know the history of the conference? There were several more than that a few years back.

That's what I was wondering as I was reading it. At one point, I recall the core members being Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, Arizona State (4)
Affiliates: CSU Bakersfield, Cal State-Fullerton, Portland State, UC Davis, Boise State and Cal Poly. (6)

More affiliates than full members. So "always" isn't correct. 

26 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

That's what I was wondering as I was reading it. At one point, I recall the core members being Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, Arizona State (4)
Affiliates: CSU Bakersfield, Cal State-Fullerton, Portland State, UC Davis, Boise State and Cal Poly. (6)

And while not Big 10 is etc, Pac had some really good wrestlers and rivalries. Then the Prez and ADs whittled away at it 1 Program at a time. Many of the programs had some good success without a fraction of the budgets and resources of bigger name brand schools. Most of the board here seems older than the Johnny Come Latelys of other media and can remember some of these individuals. Unfortunately the longer time goes by, the history fades away.

Oregon had some good guys. BSU had some good guys! Fullerton had some good wrestlers. Go back further, UCLA had some really good dudes and teams. Washington was arguably upper echelon, drawing well for home meets. Then the bombs came wiping out the teams And the competition for the remaining.

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

Dropped is one word for what happened to Boise State's wrestling program.  Blind-sided and sabotaged by a deceitful (now former) school President are other words that fit.

I think the very best solution for the PAC 12 would be for the actual PAC 12 schools to add wrestling as a team sport.  Schools like Washington, Washington State, Oregon,, etc.  If the PAC 12 had six full-members with wrestling programs they would have no need for affiliate programs.

Agree completely....but probably not happening anytime soon. The best option the next 5 years will be to add Western teams.

59 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Correct JB - This statement is incorrect : “We have always been trying to stay at the level of six. So we have Stanford, Oregon State and ASU in terms of primary conference members who sponsor the sport, and so we have always been held to a max of three affiliate members.” 

As you pointed out, more affiliates than members at one point. If I remember correctly, they changed it because of that very reason. I seem to remember an "imbalance of power" in the conference being an issue. Of course that could happen now by adding, but the language is probably different at this point. 

https://thesundevils.com/documents/2019/11/17/Record_Book_2019_20_.pdf

https://static.pac-12.com/sports/wrestling/pdf/WRESTLING.pdf

CURRENT PAC-12 MEMBERS

Oregon State 

Arizona State  

CS Bakersfield  

Stanford

Cal Poly 

Little Rock Arkansas, added program in 2019

DROPPED PROGRAMS

Boise State, 2017

Oregon, 2008 

Washington, 1981 

Washington State, 1987 

UCLA, 1981 

Arizona, 1982 

California, 1980

CS Fullerton, 2010

Fresno State, 1991 

Portland State, 2009 

San Jose State, 1988

UC Davis, 2010

Utah State, 1989 

10 hours ago, Idaho said:

That is a solid conference. There are some great coaches out West. Fresno State and Northern Colorado among those that have great athletes and coaches. Those 11 teams could really go a very long way to make the Pac-12 a legit wrestling conference and a legit powerhouse overall. 

Edited by gobraves101905