gowrestle

Where is Suriano?

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

They aren't. Ignoring the fact that NATO can match him there, when Nicky Pushups relies on it so heavily, is errant.

Styles make matches. When he has so little to offer in the way of offense as it is and you remove his main advantage, it limits him even further.

Doesn't take a rocket surgeon or a heart scientist to figure that out 

Your really selling suriano short...he’s 70-5 in his career not counting the Med FFs and only 2 people he didn’t take down, Spencer lee when he was fresh out of the hospital from a staph infection in his knee, and his freshman against Gilman. Suriano chooses to not always push for bonus but he’s capable of taking down anyone in the country, and even in freestyle he took down gross (maybe twice) and he put it on nashon Garrett. Nick Suriano is an elite wrestler on his feet and I don’t think he would be limited at all against nato 

13 hours ago, portajohn said:

https://www.recordonline.com/sports/20200326/with-olympics-postponed-wrestler-suriano-now-focusing-on-his-next-move

he also gave this interview in March, mentions he likes taking classes and has eligibility left but he’s grown as a person and isn’t rushing to make a decision 

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Ashnault seems like a good dude, but it probably chaps his ass a little that just due to the chronology of when the weight classes were wrestled, Suriano is technically Rutger's first ever champ.

Both of those guys rub me the wrong way. It's just their NJ mobbin' aesthetic. 

Btw I'm a huge fan of their wrestling. How can you not be? Ashnault's pancake/suck-back from top is clever obvious... like why hasn't anyone else used this? And Suriano? As a coach, you would want all your guys to study how he dominates matches with his disciplined footwork, hand fighting, and head position.

14 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Ashnault seems like a good dude, but it probably chaps his ass a little that just due to the chronology of when the weight classes were wrestled, Suriano is technically Rutger's first ever champ.

Yeah. I’m a Suriano fan, but Ashnault committed to Rutgers taking a huge risk, and managed to pull off an excellent run: he took a leadership role, helped get a Jersey guys to commit plus some out of state guys, etc. 

Suriano left the state. The story isn’t as good. He is a better wrestler than Ashnault, but Ashnault deserved to be the first champion. It was just luck of the draw. 

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Your really selling suriano short...he’s 70-5 in his career not counting the Med FFs and only 2 people he didn’t take down, Spencer lee when he was fresh out of the hospital from a staph infection in his knee, and his freshman against Gilman. Suriano chooses to not always push for bonus but he’s capable of taking down anyone in the country, and even in freestyle he took down gross (maybe twice) and he put it on nashon Garrett. Nick Suriano is an elite wrestler on his feet and I don’t think he would be limited at all against nato 

I meant to disrespect or intention in selling him short and I don't necessarily think he would be limited. I was merely pointing out that NATO could neutralize an advantage that Nicky Pee has been able to exploit in every other single match during his collegiate career.

22 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I meant to disrespect or intention in selling him short and I don't necessarily think he would be limited. I was merely pointing out that NATO could neutralize an advantage that Nicky Pee has been able to exploit in every other single match during his collegiate career.

Fair enough, they are both very strong guys and i agree strength would be cancelled out, while he doesn’t score tons of points, suriano is quick and efficient when he does shoot and I would think  he’s probably top 3 in shot efficiency in ncaa .. I always thought that quick, clean ,explosive finish he has would have a lot of success against nato, I think it’s the funkier guys that give him some issues like gross, lee 

He's got his title, and maybe that's enough. He can check the item off the list and move on. Anyway, Suriano's chances of repeating would be pretty slim, imo. That's not so much a knock on him as much as it is recognition of the depth at 133 and that Spencer Lee pretty much owns 125.

13 minutes ago, pamela said:

He's got his title, and maybe that's enough. He can check the item off the list and move on. Anyway, Suriano's chances of repeating would be pretty slim, imo. That's not so much a knock on him as much as it is recognition of the depth at 133 and that Spencer Lee pretty much owns 125.

He would definitely be the favorite at 133 lol 

Really?  I would say he’s one of them but you still have Fix, Micic, Rivera, RBY and DeSanto.  It would not be shocking to see him win another title or end up in the 5/6 place bout.

9 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Really?  I would say he’s one of them but you still have Fix, Micic, Rivera, RBY and DeSanto.  It would not be shocking to see him win another title or end up in the 5/6 place bout.

Suriano hasn’t lost twice in a tournament his entire life I doubt it happens as a 5th year senior, I don’t think desanto can be put in the same league as suriano right now.   And I think he ll wrestle close matches with some of those guys but he is the only national champ out of everyone you named, and if not for the injury his freshman year he’s probably a 2x champ right now...he majored Cruz that year ...I think because he’s so boring people forget how good he really is 

Edited by Antitroll2828

3 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Suriano hasn’t lost twice in a tournament his entire life I doubt it happens as a 5th year senior, I don’t think desanto can be put in the same league as suriano right now.   And I think he ll wrestle close matches with some of those guys but he is the only national champ out of everyone you named, and if not for the injury his freshman year he’s probably a 2x champ right now...he majored Cruz that year ...I think because he’s so boring people forget how good he really is 

That’s an awkward statement as DeSanto beat Suriano just 1 year ago 6-4.

Also, Suriano did not major Cruz, although it was close.

4 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

That’s an awkward statement as DeSanto beat Suriano just 1 year ago 6-4.

Also, Suriano did not major Cruz, although it was close.

The desanto we saw the the last 10 12 matches last year wouldn’t have a chance against suriano, if desanto returns to his peak form of 2019 maybe but I’d have to see it. And he beat Cruz 7-0 with 3:30 minutes of riding time 

1 hour ago, Antitroll2828 said:

The desanto we saw the the last 10 12 matches last year wouldn’t have a chance against suriano, if desanto returns to his peak form of 2019 maybe but I’d have to see it. And he beat Cruz 7-0 with 3:30 minutes of riding time 

Where do you get these facts?  Suriano had all of 11 seconds of riding time, which if you actually watch the match it was more like 7, but clock person was not very accurate.

23 minutes ago, Mokoma said:

Where do you get these facts?  Suriano had all of 11 seconds of riding time, which if you actually watch the match it was more like 7, but clock person was not very accurate.

Your correct, I remembered Cruz being on his back for awhile, forgot he rode suriano for a little to start the match...regardless he beat the guy who won NCAAs  that year 7-0 and the match wasn’t really close 

He had to cheat to beat Fix. 

5 hours ago, pamela said:

5 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

At 133. Yes, a contender. No, not a favorite.

7 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Your correct, I remembered Cruz being on his back for awhile, forgot he rode suriano for a little to start the match...regardless he beat the guy who won NCAAs  that year 7-0 and the match wasn’t really close 

Well using that logic then Micic, DeSanto and Fix also beat the NCAA champ Suriano last year so it’s unreasonable to suggest they’re not in his league.

Edited by Mokoma