Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlingfan25

Greg diakomihalis

20 minutes ago, Wrestlingfan25 said:

Does anyone believe that he has 4x national champion potential? I think he does and from looking at film I think he is better than yianni was in high school. Cornell May win the team title two years from now

Greg was significantly less successful than Yianni was in high school and that's while competing at a lower weight with more underclassmen. He's also incredibly undersized for 125 as it stands now. If he wasn't Yianni's brother, almost nobody would know who he is and he would be viewed as a solid, but not spectacular recruit for Cornell with some potential if he ever grows into 125. 

At this point in his career, Yianni was already a 2x age level world champion. I don't think Greg ever made a trials final, let alone contend for a world title. I'm curious what you see that makes you think he's better than Yianni?

26 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Greg was significantly less successful than Yianni was in high school and that's while competing at a lower weight with more underclassmen. He's also incredibly undersized for 125 as it stands now. If he wasn't Yianni's brother, almost nobody would know who he is and he would be viewed as a solid, but not spectacular recruit for Cornell with some potential if he ever grows into 125. 

At this point in his career, Yianni was already a 2x age level world champion. I don't think Greg ever made a trials final, let alone contend for a world title. I'm curious what you see that makes you think he's better than Yianni?

I agree for the most part that Greg probably isn't up to Yianni's level, but to say that a 5x NYS champion would be viewed as a "solid, but not spectacular" recruit is a bit harsh.

If he’s a career 125 I could see him competing for a title his jr/sr years but I don’t think he ll ever been on Yiannis level...yianni beat the returning 2x ncaa champ with a torn AcL as a true freshman...Greg would get teched by Spencer Lee in 2 minutes ....he’s going to greyshirt so he ll have a good chance at being a 4 time AA but nothing close to his brothers level 

6 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

He is a five time New York State champ and multiple time Super 32 finalist who earned the number one national ranking multiple times in high school. He probably will not be a 4X NCAA Champ, but the kid is legit. Kind of a reach to say “almost nobody” would know who he is. 

7 minutes ago, calot said:

I heard it's a possibility don't think anything has been announced.

Wherever he lands I think he’s going to be a savage. He was elite on top in high school and I think that’s going to carry over well for him, I wouldn’t be surprised if Rutgers is making a run at him if he’s in the portal 

6 hours ago, Asa Packer said:

"I could see him beating Darmstadt and taking the spot this year "

No, transferring to ASU. Well, not really transferring as he never got into Cornell.

That doesnt look good for Figs recommitting if Greg comes to Tempe. ASU would be loaded at the lower weights.

3 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

That doesnt look good for Figs recommitting if Greg comes to Tempe. ASU would be loaded at the lower weights.

I dont think the transferring to ASU is referring to Greg D. but to Jacob Cardenas. And I do not see him,  JC,  having much of a  shot of beating Darmstadt in the next 2 years assuming  Ben gets a 6th year.

9 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Wherever he lands I think he’s going to be a savage. He was elite on top in high school and I think that’s going to carry over well for him, I wouldn’t be surprised if Rutgers is making a run at him if he’s in the portal 

I have no idea if there’s any truth to the earlier post but pretty sure he wouldn’t need to be in the portal.   

1 hour ago, RegularStalling said:

Is there any actual traction to this Cardenas situation? I know it was looking bleak for Cardenas to crack the Cornell lineup in the near future, but haven't seen a thing about ASU. 

A rumor reported on another forum.  No confirmation anywhere that I've seen.

Darmstadt doesn't need a 6th year.  He's wrestled two seasons in three years, has two more remaining.  It's no longer unusual for wrestlers to spend a year at Finger Lakes and then take five to get through Cornell, but that's not six years.

5 hours ago, jdalu75 said:

A rumor reported on another forum.  No confirmation anywhere that I've seen.

Darmstadt doesn't need a 6th year.  He's wrestled two seasons in three years, has two more remaining.  It's no longer unusual for wrestlers to spend a year at Finger Lakes and then take five to get through Cornell, but that's not six years.

This is his last year at Cornell. He only has 4 years there. They don't redshirt so I would assume he would need a medical to wrestle another year after this one.

5 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

This is his last year at Cornell. He only has 4 years there. They don't redshirt so I would assume he would need a medical to wrestle another year after this one.

Four years can be broken up into eight semesters:  take off a fall semester and get a fifth spring semester.  He is likely to get a medical exemption for the year he was injured.

8 hours ago, klehner said:

Four years can be broken up into eight semesters:  take off a fall semester and get a fifth spring semester.  He is likely to get a medical exemption for the year he was injured.

This.  I remember that Koll pulled him out of school when he got hurt two years ago.  He should have 2 years left.

On 5/11/2020 at 1:18 PM, Wrestlingfan25 said:

Does anyone believe that he has 4x national champion potential? I think he does and from looking at film I think he is better than yianni was in high school. Cornell May win the team title two years from now

Has he won 2 or 3?  If not, get back to us when you have some data.  ;_;

41 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

This.  I remember that Koll pulled him out of school when he got hurt two years ago.  He should have 2 years left.

Correct, Darmstadt was a sophomore last season.