Sign in to follow this  
RecHall

Best pound for pound

Who you taking this year? Dake is one of the best ever, but is he better pound for pound than Ruth? Ruth scores whenever he wants, can't be stopped. Very close.

No one in college wrestling has been more dominant than Ed Ruth in the last 2 seasons. He literally has not been in danger of losing during this time. If he really feels like forcing the action, he can major or tech anyone. That can't be said of anyone else imo.

Dake just wrestled a guy who scores whenever he wants and can't be stopped. A guy who was more unstoppable than Ruth leading up to the finals. A guy who is every bit as good as Ruth. No amount of Ruth beating up on Hamlin compares to Dake beating Taylor. Beating the 15th or 20th best guy in the room does not equal beating the 2nd best guy in the room no matter the comparative scores.

After watching Dake come back after being down for the first time ever and riding Taylor I think Dake might be the best after watching all those finals. Remember he beat a kid who pinned everyone. For the first time this year I have to rank Dake as #1 p4p. I had him behind Ruth all year and in the Hodge race. Now I have to see it like this:

1. Dake

2. Ruth

3. Taylor

3. Oliver

4. Wright He won the team title for PSU-the guy likes the pressure. My favorite match of the night

5. Maple

6. Delgado

7. Steiber

8. Perry

9. Kilgore

10. Ramos

Ruth knew his team needed bonus - in the NCAA finals - to put them in a slot to win the National Championship and he bonused a wrestler that had not been bonused in college to give Penn State the lead over Okie State.

Why does this keep being said??? Hamlin has wrestled a collegiate match which resulted in his opponent being awarded bonus points.

Ruth knew his team needed bonus - in the NCAA finals - to put them in a slot to win the National Championship and he bonused a wrestler that had not been bonused in college to give Penn State the lead over Okie State.

Why does this keep being said??? Hamlin has wrestled a collegiate match which resulted in his opponent being awarded bonus points.

And I asked in the other one.

Was it a default match?

And I asked in the other one.

Was it a default match?

Yes, and it does count.

Actually, I am not sure Ruth knew his team needed bonus or even if he was capable of bonus. From what I have read "the math was too hard."

1. Dake

2. Logan Stieber

3. Ruth, Taylor (tie)

5. Oliver

People underestimate how good Stieber is on the "pound for pound" analyses that get done every other month because they fail to appreciate how good Ramos is. Ramos is the only guy in the country who can keep from getting beat to death by Stieber. (I don't think Stieber versus Graff would be all that close.) I'm sure people will jump all over me for saying this, but I think Stieber could win 141 weighing in at 133. The kid is an absolute monster in every position, every bit as technically sound as anybody on that list, including Dake.

Ruth is flashier but not a better wrestler than Stieber.

1. Dake

2. Ruth

3. Taylor

4. Steiber/Oliver

6. Maple/Wright

8. Kilgore

9. Delgado (at end of season)

I would say something like this; I think there's a drop off after Delgado, but would include Mega, Graff, Ramos, H. Steiber and Chamberlain as HM.

I love Ruth but Taylor easily beats everyone as easily as Ruth other than Dake.

1.Dake

2.Taylor

3.Ruth

4.Oliver

5.Steiber

Does Taylor face the same level of opposition? Ruth has 2 losses, Taylor has 4. Taylor has the better losses, but he also has twice as many. Ruth's wins, on the whole, are much higher quality. Beatdowns on NCAA finalists in Lewnes, Amuchastegui, Bosak, and Hamlin. Ruth > Taylor, and the co favorite for Hodge next year with Logan Stieber with Taylor just a little behind for me.

1.Dake

2.Taylor

3.Ruth

4.Oliver

5.Steiber

Does Taylor face the same level of opposition? Ruth has 2 losses, Taylor has 4. Taylor has the better losses, but he also has twice as many. Ruth's wins, on the whole, are much higher quality. Beatdowns on NCAA finalists in Lewnes, Amuchastegui, Bosak, and Hamlin. Ruth > Taylor, and the co favorite for Hodge next year with Logan Stieber with Taylor just a little behind for me.

I agree with Vak's logic - the competition level Ruth has faced has been higher than Taylor IMO. Taylor does make it look easy against good guys, but even when he won the Hodge last year I thought his road to it was a relatively easy one.

1.Dake

2.Taylor

3.Ruth

4.Oliver

5.Steiber

I'm not saying I completely disagree with you, but I think Taylor's competition gets underestimated. Fact is, Taylor has teched an NCAA finalist and majored another. He also majored a man who was a potential hodge candidate at the time of their meeting and pinned a 4th place finisher.

Personally, I'd give Taylor a slight edge in a pound for pound context and a major edge in terms of likeliness of winning the hodge.