Sign in to follow this  
RecHall

Best pound for pound

As good as Dake is, if he and Ruth were the same rate, I don't see Dake beating him. Here is why. Ruth doesn't look like he is trying out there, which means, he's got a lot more room grow and he is still dominating. Dare I say Ruth looks unpolished and literally destroys everyone.

Also, Ruth doesn't get into scrambles which is the tale tell sign of how good someone really is will be, which means he's got either incredible speed , or incredible setups, either way, Ruth shoots and he scores, it's not a scramble situation.

Dake works very hard and obviously is a once in a generation type wrestler, but I actually think Ruth is even better, I don't see Dake actually being able to stop Ruth from taking him down, and I don't see Dake riding Ruth. Simply Ruths length, strength, speed combined with some pretty slick technique (watch how he changes which leg he's attacking mid shot) ... seems to be scary.

And Ruth dominated a much tougher weight class this year.

If we throw freestyle accomplishments into best pound for pound, it's Logan Stieber.

If we consider complete and total dominance, then it's Stieber or Ruth.

If we consider the totatlity of a great career, it's Dake.

Just to be clear--I believe that Taylor and Oliver are also amazing.

Tony Ramos is the great Alan Fried laboring behind Tom Brands. Should Stieber move up next season, Ramos will smoke the field at 133.

Mr. Stieber was on his back...Enough said!!!

--Mr. Stieber lost in the Jr. Worlds in freestyle 6-4 to the wrestler that won Gold in London.

--Mr. Stieber only had five matches that went the distance all season.

--Mr. Stieber has two NCAA titles in two tries.

--Mr. Stieber was in the Olympic Trials finals.

--Mr. Stieber has won an International Freestyle tournament.

Enough said.

--Mr. Stieber lost in the Jr. Worlds in freestyle 6-4 to the wrestler that won Gold in London.

Enough said.

Hard to argue with that?!?

Dake

Ruth/Oliver/Taylor

Steiber/Wright

Nelson

Maple

Kilgore

Delgado

No way Tony Nelson belongs on that list. He's probably not even in the top50 pound for pound. He especially shouldn't be ranked over Maple, Kilgore, or Delgado, that's simply ludicrous.

Dake

Ruth/Oliver/Taylor

Steiber/Wright

Nelson

Maple

Kilgore

Delgado

No way Tony Nelson belongs on that list. He's probably not even in the top50 pound for pound. He especially shouldn't be ranked over Maple, Kilgore, or Delgado, that's simply ludicrous.

Why? Because he's going to be a 4 time AA and 3 time NC at 285?

He's a hell of a lot better than you may think.

He should be ahead of Kilogre, Maple, and Delgado based on his past accomplishments.

Enough said.

+1

Dake

Ruth/Oliver/Taylor

Steiber/Wright

Nelson

Maple

Kilgore

Delgado

He should be ahead of Kilogre, Maple, and Delgado based on his past accomplishments.

He could be Minnesota's first 3 time champ.

Enough said.

And he got teched on the world seen too, what's your point?

Dake

Ruth/Oliver/Taylor

Steiber/Wright

Nelson

Maple

Kilgore

Delgado

I thought the thread was based on wrestling skill on a pound for pound basis, not on achievements. Nelson is easily less technically proficient than anyone on that list, and it's not even close. Being big and strong, and capable of outstanding stalling does not equal outstanding wrestling skill. If Maple was blown up to Nelson's size he'd tech him in the first period.

I suppose if we were still in the days of unlimited heavyweights and there was a 400 pounder just falling on people to win that you'd consider that 400 pounder great on a pound for pound basis?

Enough said.

And he got teched on the world seen too, what's your point?

When was this? I must have missed that one.

After watching Dake come back after being down for the first time ever and riding Taylor I think Dake might be the best after watching all those finals. Remember he beat a kid who pinned everyone. For the first time this year I have to rank Dake as #1 p4p. I had him behind Ruth all year and in the Hodge race. Now I have to see it like this:

1. Dake

2. Ruth

3. Taylor

3. Oliver

4. Wright He won the team title for PSU-the guy likes the pressure. My favorite match of the night

5. Maple

6. Delgado

7. Steiber

8. Perry

9. Kilgore

10. Ramos

I like this list. I'd move Steiber up for the reasons many have already stated. Also, I'd move Ramos up because he's a 125 ponder up at 133 due to McD being 133 lber at 125.

If we are putting freestyle in there it is Steiber. NO doubt. Kinda like when Varner was snubbed for the Hodge in 2010 he was actually a world team member and Ness never came close to placing at the next level. After the Hodge was given Kevin Jackson came out and stated Varner was the best wrestler in college period and it is not even close. Well two years later he is an Olympic champ-Jackson was right. Steiber may not be the HOdge winner but I put my money on him making the world team this year. Not sure about the other guys Ruth, Dake or Wright or Oliver. But my money is on Steiber to make the world team so I think he is the best pound for pound wrestler in college. The best comparison of guys at different weights is how they do at the next level.

If we are putting freestyle in there it is Steiber. NO doubt. Kinda like when Varner was snubbed for the Hodge in 2010 he was actually a world team member and Ness never came close to placing at the next level. After the Hodge was given Kevin Jackson came out and stated Varner was the best wrestler in college period and it is not even close. Well two years later he is an Olympic champ-Jackson was right. Steiber may not be the HOdge winner but I put my money on him making the world team this year. Not sure about the other guys Ruth, Dake or Wright or Oliver. But my money is on Steiber to make the world team so I think he is the best pound for pound wrestler in college. The best comparison of guys at different weights is how they do at the next level.

I thought the thread was based on wrestling skill on a pound for pound basis, not on achievements. Nelson is easily less technically proficient than anyone on that list, and it's not even close. Being big and strong, and capable of outstanding stalling does not equal outstanding wrestling skill. If Maple was blown up to Nelson's size he'd tech him in the first period.

I suppose if we were still in the days of unlimited heavyweights and there was a 400 pounder just falling on people to win that you'd consider that 400 pounder great on a pound for pound basis?

>>Nelson would pin him in the first period. Most likely with a full half nelson!

Does anybody else think Ed Ruth can major David Taylor in the room? I feel like the only people in that Penn State practice room that can beat him are Cael and Varner. A Dake/Ruth folkstyle match would be incredible but I think, at this point, they're too far away in weight.

Ank,

Your right. But how do we gauge guys at different weights for best p4p. Varner/Ness is like Ruth/Dake. Ruth/Dake may actually wrestle though if Dake goes 185. Making a world team while still in college is a rare feat only done by a handful of guys. Varner is one guy in the last several years to do it and I think Steiber will do it this year. So if we are saying best overall wrestler period regardless of style/weight then my list is:

Steiber

Ruth

Oliver

Dake

Wright

Ramos

Taylor

Kilgore

Mega....think he fits really nice at 121. not sure here

Nelson