Sign in to follow this  
TobusRex

Economic impact of COVID 19 may kill wrestling programs

No specific programs were mentioned in this article. The article discusses the economic impact of losing football/basketball seasons. Wrestling will lose a lot of teams in all likelihood. What happens to the kids that are on schollies to schools that drop the program? Are they allowed to finish their scholly until graduation, or are they going to have to make plans for this year, I wonder?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/virus-could-cure-college-sports-150028771.html

excerpt:

But for all the other sports — and for all the schools that are not major football powers — it’s going to be a different world. It is likely that in order to preserve certain sports, scholarships will have to be eliminated. Olympic sports like wrestling, fencing and, er, beach volleyball will have a hard time surviving. Because of decades of conference realignments, many teams in the non-revenue sports now fly, often on private jets, for away games. Athletic directors will start agitating for less expensive travel, which means playing teams closer to home. Aside from football and men’s basketball, conferences will splinter as the nonrevenue sports realign geographically. This will also rekindle once-great rivalries that have been lost.

Edited by TobusRex

Remember back when so many were crying that winter senior athletes weren’t getting a chance to redo their season?  

Folks were missing the forest through the trees.  It was super clear that budgets were going to get whacked at many schools ....  much bigger issues to deal with.

45 minutes ago, nom said:

Remember back when so many were crying that winter senior athletes weren’t getting a chance to redo their season?  

Folks were missing the forest through the trees.  It was super clear that budgets were going to get whacked at many schools ....  much bigger issues to deal with.

Eh, many including myself were arguing for an extra year of eligibility but not necessarily an extra year of scholarship.   Which would probably be revenue positive for the school if it gets kids to stick around for an extra year of classes.

Edited by 1032004

1 hour ago, Boompa said:

Wouldn't it be strange if big D1 programs were dropped but Ivies and smaller private schools who have endowments survive?

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised to see OU drop their program, actually. The team has sucked for years, hasn't shown any improvement under Roselli (just more non-improvement, like they showed under Cody). The fieldhouse is nearly empty for home meets, and OU doesn't attract big crowds anywhere they go except OSU for Bedlam. Don't be surprised if OU guts their wrestling program (I give it about 20% chance).

I think it's actually "required" by some Conference agreements that schools maintain wrestling programs. I think it's mandatory for the Big 10, for example.

Weird thing to think of: I was thinking about Tucker from Cornell. Kid was pretty decent, making NCAAs a few times, and finally his senior year had a good chance to  AA, and poof, nothing. I bet the kid is super bummed.

Edited by TobusRex

Another question: if we lose a lot of the marginal programs, say 15-20. That's not as many as could be expected, btw. But that would knock us down to about 50 schools in D1 with wrestling, right? What do to with NCAAs at that point? Do we really want 33 guys per weight showing up when there are only about 50 D1 schools with wrestling? NCAA will have to cut down to 16 kids or so, and long overdue if you ask me.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised to see OU drop their program, actually. The team has sucked for years, hasn't shown any improvement under Roselli (just more non-improvement, like they showed under Cody). The fieldhouse is nearly empty for home meets, and OU doesn't attract big crowds anywhere they go except OSU for Bedlam. Don't be surprised if OU guts their wrestling program (I give it about 20% chance).

I think it's actually "required" by some Conference agreements that schools maintain wrestling programs. I think it's mandatory for the Big 10, for example.

The Big 12 does not enforce all of the conference schools to field a wrestling team, if they even have that rule. The Big 12 Commissioner is Bob Bowlsby and he was the AD at 3 schools that have a wrestling program (UNI, Iowa, & Stanford). IMO he has not helped the BIG 12 Wrestling. 

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

No conference requires wrestling.  This includes the Big Ten.  Schools are not required to have wrestling in the Big Ten. 

The only hope for this not being an absolute disaster is if they move the college football season to the spring, but that will require the NFL pushing back the draft. I think there’s very little chance of college football happening in the fall since most universities will likely be online only in the fall.

20 minutes ago, SamStall365247 said:

California announces their universities will be online only in the fall with exceptions made for some labs and nursing:

https://edsource.org/2020/california-state-university-classes-to-continue-mostly-online-in-fall/631381

This is going to have a profound effect on this year. That decision alone is going to hurt and potentially kill programs and universities. 

1 hour ago, LHU125 said:

This is going to have a profound effect on this year. That decision alone is going to hurt and potentially kill programs and universities. 

I think there is a lot of uncertainty right now regarding the future of Covid and no one wants to make a decision that is going to lead to loss of human life. Canceling on campus classes is the easiest thing to do. In my opinion, I would have waited to make a decision. Still no telling what the numbers will look like in three or four months. 

19 hours ago, Pinnum said:

No conference requires wrestling.  This includes the Big Ten.  Schools are not required to have wrestling in the Big Ten. 

Wow, that's kind of a shocker. I thought the B10 made wrestling mandatory for all participants! Bummer...

13 minutes ago, SamStall365247 said:

I think there is a lot of uncertainty right now regarding the future of Covid and no one wants to make a decision that is going to lead to loss of human life. Canceling on campus classes is the easiest thing to do. In my opinion, I would have waited to make a decision. Still no telling what the numbers will look like in three or four months. 

The experts are saying it's a disastrous move going back to "normal" before it's safe but apparently listening to "experts" is out in the White House these days.

1 hour ago, LHU125 said:

It will not help the already thin options out west.

Full contact non-revenue sports will get hurt no question. Big time sports like football and basketball will continue IMO as schools will pony up for their cash cows and order mass testing though....sad but true.

Edited by DocBZ

1 hour ago, LHU125 said:

In many team sports, they did. They didn't touch anything with respect to wrestling.

28 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

In many team sports, they did. They didn't touch anything with respect to wrestling.

Wonder if the MAC eliminates the divisions in wrestling?Cleveland St is supposed to move to the East to replace ODU.I could see the MAC saying just get 6-7 conference duals in

Edited by calot

The CCAA, a D2 conference in CA will not have sports this fall as a result of the CA state system going online for the fall. This will probably affect winter sports that start in the fall semester. San Francisco state is the only school in the conference with wrestling.

and it may all be the result of colossal overreaction ... https://www.biospace.com/article/multiple-studies-suggest-covid-19-mortality-rate-may-be-lower-than-expected-/

"these results may indicate the deadly COVID-19 pandemic – with mortality rates generally under 1% – is no more deadly than the seasonal influenza. If that is true, the near-global stay-at-home mandates could have been an overreaction. "

of course it is/was an "overreaction"... the numbers do not lie...

the only thing up for debate is if it was a legitimate "overreaction"...

lots have benefitted from this "overreaction"...

15 hours ago, SamStall365247 said:

California announces their universities will be online only in the fall with exceptions made for some labs and nursing:

https://edsource.org/2020/california-state-university-classes-to-continue-mostly-online-in-fall/631381

Not all California schools at this time.  This just covers the "Cal State" schools.  Does not apply to the "UC" schools.  

Edited by lu_alum