Sign in to follow this  
TobusRex

Economic impact of COVID 19 may kill wrestling programs

8 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Repetition until you get it right. Like doing single leg takedowns, over and over again, hundreds of times, until it becomes second nature, until you develop the muscle memory so you could do it blindfolded. You know what I mean, right? 

Oh, guess you dont :P

it took you a week to come up with that?

Although it was nice to be considered high risk, along with Football, competitive cheer and dancing were also included, along with Male Lacrosse.

Actually, Wrestling should be considered highest risk, along with judo, and maybe some other combat sports. boxing might be worse than wrestling as face to face is worse than even constant touching.

One thing a lot of people are talking about is fatality rate, whether it be, 0.3% or 3.0%. there is also the incomplete recovery rate. If a person has gone from before a 50 mile a week runner to an after  1 mile a day walker with an oxygen cart. Hard to say he has actually recovered. Consider something like this:

Recovery 0. Death

Recovery 1. Essentially bed ridden, maybe ok to get in a wheelchair with help

Recovery 2. Able to walk with an oxygen card

Recovery 3. From Runner to Walker

Recovery 4.  from runner to jogger.

recovery 5. No change other than what would expect from say a month of Bronchitis.

Etc Etc. 

I have seen  no study on this. It would be interesting to see how any wrestlers or other vigorous college athletes have fared.

Friends I have with recovery level. 28 year old super fit girl, Says she is fine. but a couple of miserable weeks. 60 year old guy; maybe milder than the 28 year old girl, his wife maybe a little worse. = And a 70 year old HS classmate. Only word I can use to describe him is solid. Better student than natural, better athlete than natural. Came out of the hospital with some kind of heart problem. Maybe not too bad but....   

Rich B.  Serious question.  Where do you live?  I live in St. Louis and no one I personally know has been diagnosed with Covid-19.  My Cousin's  Uncle (on the other side--whom I may have met once) tested positive but had no symptoms.  He visited Viet Nam and was tested when he came back.  No one I am close to knows anyone who has been diagnosed with it.

12 minutes ago, fatlaz said:

Rich B.  Serious question.  Where do you live?  I live in St. Louis and no one I personally know has been diagnosed with Covid-19.  My Cousin's  Uncle (on the other side--whom I may have met once) tested positive but had no symptoms.  He visited Viet Nam and was tested when he came back.  No one I am close to knows anyone who has been diagnosed with it.

I'm out east and have lost track of the people I know who had it.Know a few who passed away.The population density has kept it going out east and it was spreading long before we even knew

14 minutes ago, fatlaz said:

He's from just outside of Harrisburg, Pa. (We were college roommates several decades ago). Missouri is down the list so far.

1 hour ago, calot said:

I'm out east and have lost track of the people I know who had it.Know a few who passed away.The population density has kept it going out east and it was spreading long before we even knew

Same here - we know quite a number of people who had it, and a few who have died from it, including our family doctor.

I'm beginning to wonder if I had it myself in mid-February.  I had what I first assumed was a mild flu, but it had a wicked sort of 2nd phase after the fever was already gone and I thought I was recovering.  At that time there were no known cases in NY or NJ, and I had not travelled at all, so I really did not think it was Covid (and when I tried to research the symptoms, the published list at the time was laughably short and generic).  But when I did return to work, walking up the stairs at the subway had me seriously sucking wind - it felt like 3rd period in a match, first week of wrestling season.

So we should all be able to see how our responses to this situation is based on our personal experience.   Look at Illinois.   People in southern Illinois are fed up with Pritzker because they are like me and don't know anyone with it and the Chicago people think the southern Illinois people are crazy. 

9 minutes ago, fatlaz said:

So we should all be able to see how our responses to this situation is based on our personal experience.   Look at Illinois.   People in southern Illinois are fed up with Pritzker because they are like me and don't know anyone with it and the Chicago people think the southern Illinois people are crazy. 

No doubt that is the case, but the question is, do you really want to wait until you have a lot of people dying, and your hospitals overwhelmed, before you take precautions?  That's what happened here. This is a deadly sneaky bug - it can spread for weeks before anyone realizes, and then - it's too late to stop it.

So... Are ya feelin' lucky?

Everything can't stay closed until there's a vaccine.   You just have to open things when it makes sense.  Slowly, with people in low risk groups and watch the data.   A few days ago the Missouri governor said the thing he has learned about the pandemic is that you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. 

52 minutes ago, red blades said:

No doubt that is the case, but the question is, do you really want to wait until you have a lot of people dying, and your hospitals overwhelmed, before you take precautions?  That's what happened here. This is a deadly sneaky bug - it can spread for weeks before anyone realizes, and then - it's too late to stop it.

So... Are ya feelin' lucky?

Forgot to say Punk!

6 hours ago, fatlaz said:

The young lady, Lines in Emmaus, Near Allentown, my 60 year old friend and his wife are teachers in a 15 people per sq mi part of Maine, They are teachers and got it on an early march field trip. My Classmate lives in Little Rock. I have been on Zoom parties with folks in Vail ,  Moab, and Costa Rico all on lockdown. All professional outdoors-men. Also Have a friend in Allentown area whose elderly father died of it in a nursing home.Every County in pa has had at least 2 cases, and there are 3 with under 7500 pop,  

Why are cases where they are? Planes Asia kept landing at Seattle, san Francisco, LA throughout Feb and Early March, Including 1000s of Americans returning from China. Then there were 100s of thousands returning from Europe Landing at 3 NYC airports. Boston, Philadelphia,  DC, Detroit, Chicago. The Americans were crowded with the Europeans for hours. There were no tests. Someone refused to accept WHO tests. Maybe Southern Illinois would have more of a Problem if Air Italia had a direct route Milan to Belleville

Should we ignore Nuclear War because you knew no-one who died in Nuclear War? I did (so did Gimp, my cousin Bill) 

Edited by RichB

14 hours ago, red blades said:

Same here - we know quite a number of people who had it, and a few who have died from it, including our family doctor.

I'm beginning to wonder if I had it myself in mid-February.  I had what I first assumed was a mild flu, but it had a wicked sort of 2nd phase after the fever was already gone and I thought I was recovering.  At that time there were no known cases in NY or NJ, and I had not travelled at all, so I really did not think it was Covid (and when I tried to research the symptoms, the published list at the time was laughably short and generic).  But when I did return to work, walking up the stairs at the subway had me seriously sucking wind - it felt like 3rd period in a match, first week of wrestling season.

I think I've already had COVID 19. I flew a few months back and there were stops in Dallas coming and going. Big airport, and I think I might've gotten exposed. The reason I say that is I didn't get a flu shot this year and got the flu. I recovered after a week or two, then a week or so after that I was sick again, very similar to the flu. Except I didn't get the ****s and sweat a lot, which always happens when I get the flu. Instead I coughed a fair amount, and coughed up lots of crap. Similar, but different from the flu. A few weeks after I thought "I might've already had COVID".

How interesting. I've noticed that some people call those concerned with COVID 19 "chicken littles" in posts, and those posts REMAIN. Yet when I respond in a like manner, albeit including the fact that Trump/GOP are trying to gaslight the American people, it's immediately scrubbed.

This place is starting to stink like The Open Mat.

Edited by TobusRex

3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Sorry, responding to fake "wrestlers" isn't at the top of my agenda list.

You can’t help but respond... it’s part of the meathead personality...

as far as fake wrestlers is concerned, being manhandled as a kid, pushed straight back, and still whining about it 35 years later is the very definition of...

On 5/14/2020 at 10:56 PM, ionel said:

Sure except it didn't work for the 17/18 flu strain hence why so many died.

The CDC has made available estimates of excess death rates - the title references excess death rates due to COVID-19, but note that the data include the 2017-2018 flu season.

During the 17-18 influenza, the expected number of deaths (roughly, the statistical average) was on the order of 60,000 in the January peak; the estimated death rate was roughly 68,000 - so an estimated 8000 excess deaths that might be attributed to the 17-18 flu.

For the week of April 12, expected death rate was ~56000, the estimated death rate was >76000; 20000 or about 2.5 times the excess death rate, relative to the 17-18 flu. 

It is also worth noting that the excess death rate for May 12 is still statistically significant, but has dropped to something on the order of the 17-18 flu, so it does appear that the lockdown has had the desired effect.

ETA : https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Edited by dakotajudo
Forgot link

On 5/22/2020 at 4:36 PM, fatlaz said:

The governor of Illinois is opening state park camping Friday 29. National Forest camping in Illinois is closed, save a site or two. In fact over 90% of federal campsites are closed.

If you Crap in a gold commode, you have nothing but contempt for those who use vault toilets.