hammerlockthree

Star Wars Episode 1-3 are better then 7-9

48 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

the best part of any of the star wars movies is when luke drinks the green space cow milk, imo.

You sure it’s not when Kirk says goodbye to a dying Spoke after going into the room instead of Kirk to save him. 

Edited by MadMardigain

1 hour ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

the best part of any of the star wars movies is when luke drinks the green space cow milk, imo.

24 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

You sure it’s not when Kirk says goodbye to a dying Spoke after going into the room instead of Kirk to save him. 

Was that before or after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

14 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Was that before or after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

I think it’s pre Capt. Taylor finding the Statue of Liberty on the beach under a ton of sand. Thus why it’s a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.... 

Edited by MadMardigain

1 hour ago, MadMardigain said:

I'm not trying to make fun of Star Wars. I like Stars Wars. That is my favorite thing of the prequels and the sequels.

14 hours ago, VakAttack said:

In the prequel Trilogy, there's one great acting performance (McGregor), one okay performance (Neeson), and some truly terrible performances by both Anakin's and Padme, even though I love Portman. The dialogue is awful and the story is poor.

The sequel trilogy was mostly mediocre acting outside of Ridley and (to me) Driver, who were both good to me. The stories are overall much better, though, along with the dialogue.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The STORIES WERE BETTER?!!?!?

DID YOU MISS THE FACT THAT THEY JUST PLAGARIZED THE PLOTS OF 4-6 AND CROWBARRED IN A BUNCH OF DEATH STARS AND RESURRECTED CHARACTERS THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO KILL IN THE FIRST PLACE AD NAUSEUM? 

7 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

1-3 over arching plot was decent, horrible execution.

7 was decent.

9 was bad.

8 was flat out awful and the worst.

Ranking is 

Agreed with 8. There is 0 story to this film. Majority of the subplots do not move the story along. Was legitimately pissed leaving the theater. Absolute garbage. Could not believe they allowed that to be released. Only important part was the development of Rey. 

My other thoughts on 7,8,9:

- Action/cinematography fantastic, but furthers the argument that recent action movies are more like amusement park rides.

-At first my eyes rolled when they brought back Palpatine, but I've become "understanding" of it in terms of the overall story. I still find it lazy writing.

-Liked episode 7, though it is a direct copy of episode 4. 

-Oscar Isaac is a star that's supposed to take a back seat to unknowns, which makes it feel miscast. He can command the screen when his character is called on, and then is just supposed to blend back in until called on again, though he's still in the shots.

-Finn didn't do much for me. Was necessary to rescue Poe from First Order, but it just seems like his character is only there to tie together streams of the story. Just feels kind of "out there" in the grand scheme of the trilogy. Does he have a thing with Rose/Hannah/Rey? Make up your minds!

-Agree with the sentiments on Carrie Fisher's acting...

-Adam Driver is a great actor, just feel he was miscast for his role. Too old for a character so immature.

- Daisy Ridley was fantastic and I liked majority of what they did with her character/development. They did her story right. Fine with her being a Palpatine, but without them having to bring him back in the flesh for the last film.

The new Star Wars movies have been money-grabs that tarnish the amazing story of the original 3. If you are making more Star Wars, PLEASE put together better story/plots/scripts.

Rogue One is one of the BEST Star Wars movies. I watch it regularly.

Solo gets a bad rap, coming 5 months on the heals of the Episode 8 garbage. Not the best Star Wars, but I absolutely enjoyed the movie. 

The starwars scores are some of the most iconic musical compositions of all time.  This is by far the star on the top of the tree.   (If you listen, good luck not walking around your house saying YUB NUB over and over...your wife will love you!)

1 hour ago, JBluegill133 said:

The starwars scores are some of the most iconic musical compositions of all time.  This is by far the star on the top of the tree.   (If you listen, good luck not walking around your house saying YUB NUB over and over...your wife will love you!)

What about the Ewok TV movie?

10 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

The STORIES WERE BETTER?!!?!?

DID YOU MISS THE FACT THAT THEY JUST PLAGARIZED THE PLOTS OF 4-6 AND CROWBARRED IN A BUNCH OF DEATH STARS AND RESURRECTED CHARACTERS THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO KILL IN THE FIRST PLACE AD NAUSEUM? 

There are only 7 basic stories.  The Original Trilogy itself is a redo of prior stories.

#7 was very obviously a rehash of #4, but it's about execution, and it was executed well.

#8 I do not agree was plagiarized, it was different then #5, for better or worse.

#9 was just a trainwreck.

I also agree about the "death star" problem.  I didn't mind it so much in #7, because Starkiller Base was different enough for me, but #9, again, was awful.

Don't forget that the original trilogy, the final movie revolved around the Empire building a BIGGER Death Star than the New Hope Death Star.

You won't get any argument from me on #9, I hated it and was supremely disappointed in it.

The original movie had one of the best opening scenes ever, with the rolling text and then the storming of the rebel ship by stormtroopers with Vader making a big entrance (he was one of the best movie villains ever.)

I loved 4-6 at the time because I was a kid.  The ending of #6 is terrible is hindsight

1 and 2 were really bad,  #3 was tolerable 

#7-9 I saw with my kids and could not stay awake, so I don't have much to comment on, just I dd not buy Adam Driver as a terrifying bad guy, seems like a mopey nerd.

I liked Solo

Clone War cartoons were mediocre

On 5/14/2020 at 8:15 AM, JBluegill133 said:

NERD TIME!!!

First and foremost, Rogue One is the best of anything made after 4, 5, 6.   Not sure if anyone cares, but I'm a huge star wars fan so now I am gunna get going.  In Rogue One we meet the character Chirrut Imwe (played by Donnie Yen)  While he is not a jedi, he wields a staff and has a fondness of the jedi religion.  Watching Yen and his staff is how I envision all jedi would fight....its just that Hammil, Ewen McGregor, Liam neeson and the rest of the actors who played Jedi's   were not good enough with their swords to convey how masterful Jedi's really were supposed to be.  Could you imagine a lightsaber dual between Luke and Vader if they both could do this?   Check it 

Gotta agree with Rogue One. In fact, I think it's the best in the whole franchise: best comic droid, best tragic hero(es) (cassian is a rebel that can't turn off his revolutionary ethic, he can't imagine living under the relative safety of imperial rule; jyn can't turn off her love for her father, she can't imagine sacrificing him for the rebellion), best war sequences (storm troopers actually kill rebels), best special effects (really liked the image of the death-star's weapon being mounted), most revealing depiction of Vader as a total bad-ass, most convincing portraits of friendship (Jyn and Cassian completely platonic empathy and respect; stick-man and machinegun man are brothers), most coherent character motives, most coherent plot, etc. 

My fondness for R1 might be because I'm (ostensibly) grown, and it's the most adult SW movie. So, someone might convince me that ESB is the best kids-of-all-ages movie. 

As far as the prequels, they all suck. But, I think each episode has compelling characters and sequences. Ep1 has a really good villian, McGegor and Neeson are what I imagined jedis to be, and the pod-race (though long and the crowd & sports announcer were embarrassing) was exciting. The rest is dreck, esp natalie portman (the stand-in queen should have had portman's role), lil vader, and of course Jar Jar.

Ep 2 was really bad. The root of its badness is Anakin. How did this insipid automaton woo Padme in the first place? Further, how did getting his legs chopped off and being left do die in a river of fire make him witty. Vader is craking jokes all the time, but Anakin manages 2 or 3 jokes and they all fall flat.  That said, the movie had two great fight sequences: all the jedi's fighting back to back in the stadium and yoda finally showing why everyone thinks he's a bad ass. 

Ep3 might be worse than AotC. Anakin's conversion is completely unconvincing. He goes from crying about accidentally killing SamLJackson to slaughtering children with no remorse in the space of an hour? MCgregor is still trying to hold things together, he just gets no help.

Ep7-9 have more to like than the prequels. Rey and Ren are compelling throughout. Snoke is pretty evil. Finn and the other dude suck.  The easter eggs get tiresome.

Biggest problem I have with all of them is that mass murderers and architects of genocide get a chance for redemption. That's why R1 is so great: the heroes have done terrible things but not genocide. And they pay for it with their lives/souls. Jen and Cassian die on the beach together with no chance for force-fueled immortality.

Edited by jackwebster

I just recently watched a documentary about SW and they talked about how Vader in the original trilogy was supposed to be absolutely terrifying and how they kind of lost that because of Ep. 2 and 3 and that whiney twit they cast. So in rogue one, when Vader comes out and just starts murdering people it was supposed to invoke that fear again. I’ll try to find the documentary name. It was really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With how good R1 and Solo were, I wish Disney would get back to one-off SW movies. I know it came to a screeching halt after Solo. Stick with this rather than sweeping trilogies that teams of writers don’t have the ability to bring together coherently, which is understandably difficult.

3 hours ago, JBluegill133 said:

I just recently watched a documentary about SW and they talked about how Vader in the original trilogy was supposed to be absolutely terrifying and how they kind of lost that because of Ep. 2 and 3 and that whiney twit they cast. So in rogue one, when Vader comes out and just starts murdering people it was supposed to invoke that fear again. I’ll try to find the documentary name. It was really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also the guy who wore the Vader suit in the original movies, David Prowse, thought that his voice would be in the movies, not James Earl Jones. But Prowse has a weird cockney type accent or something and they recorded over all his lines. Supposedly to this day Lucas hates Prowse for some stuff Prowse said about the movie.

10 hours ago, VakAttack said:

There are only 7 basic stories.  The Original Trilogy itself is a redo of prior stories.

#7 was very obviously a rehash of #4, but it's about execution, and it was executed well.

#8 I do not agree was plagiarized, it was different then #5, for better or worse.

#9 was just a trainwreck.

I also agree about the "death star" problem.  I didn't mind it so much in #7, because Starkiller Base was different enough for me, but #9, again, was awful.

Don't forget that the original trilogy, the final movie revolved around the Empire building a BIGGER Death Star than the New Hope Death Star.

You won't get any argument from me on #9, I hated it and was supremely disappointed in it.

8 was the same plot as 4. Hero seeks out training while buddies pursued through space. 

One thing I'll say about 1-3 for me personally, a lot of the things people complain about are the result of them just being sorta campy by intention. 300 had horrible writing but it wasn't disfigured because writing was never supposed to be a feature of the movie.

19 hours ago, Jim L said:

1 and 2 were really bad,  #3 was tolerable.

Disagree with this common judgement. 3 sucked because of one exchange: Final dual between Anakin and Obiwan:

Obiwan: "I have failed you, Anakin. I have failed you."
Anakin: "I should have known the Jedi were plotting to take over!"
Obiwan: "Anakin, Chancellor Palpatine is evil!"
Anakin: "From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!"
Obiwan: "Well, then, you are lost!

All galaxy freestyle team 

57kg - Yoda

61kg - Darth Maul

65kg - Luke skywalker

70kg - Darth Sidious

74 - Obi Wan (ep. 1-3 version)

79 - Boba Fett