Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Possible starter for 133 lbs for Stanford next season?

Recommended Posts

According to PINFALL Commits there has been a recent addition to Stanford's list of commits.  That being

https://www.trackwrestling.com/membership/ViewProfile.jsp?twId=46009009

He is a three time Washington 4-A State champion from Curtis H.S. in WA.   2020 WA 4-A State champion at 132 lbs - 2019 WA 4-A State champion at 126 lbs - 2018 WA 4-A State champion at 113 lbs - Placed 3rd at 106 lbs at 2017 WA State tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bronco said:

According to PINFALL Commits there has been a recent addition to Stanford's list of commits.  That being

https://www.trackwrestling.com/membership/ViewProfile.jsp?twId=46009009

He is a three time Washington 4-A State champion from Curtis H.S. in WA.   2020 WA 4-A State champion at 132 lbs - 2019 WA 4-A State champion at 126 lbs - 2018 WA 4-A State champion at 113 lbs - Placed 3rd at 106 lbs at 2017 WA State tournament.

Yacapin  Decommitted from Stanford and committed to Simon Fraser. This was reported last week:

Maka Yacapin - Curtis, WA is committed to Simon Fraser! 3x State Champ, 4x Placer Fargo Cadet FS & GR All-American 132 Former Stanford commit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep - I just saw that on his Twitter account.  However I had never seen him listed as a Stanford commit previously.   

Hard to fathom why someone would commit to Stanford and then de-commit and sign with Simon Fraser - other than the cost of attending Stanford perhaps.

Pinfall did NOT have him listed as a Stanford commit previously.  I just noticed today that he IS listed as a Stanford commit.

Edited by Bronco
add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bronco said:

Yep - I just saw that on his Twitter account.  However I had never seen him listed as a Stanford commit previously.   

Hard to fathom why someone would commit to Stanford and then de-commit and sign with Simon Fraser - other than the cost of attending Stanford perhaps.

Pinfall did NOT have him listed as a Stanford commit previously.  I just noticed today that he IS listed as a Stanford commit.

Yep - the only reason I knew he was a Stanford commit was from a article in a Washington paper last Fall - I had researched him because he had some pretty legit wins over tough kids and I was intrigued if he would got to OSU - then I found out he was Stanford. But then, as you mentioned, it was never listed or announced which was kinda weird. I don't know if it was price, grades, etc. However, several California universities have come out and said they will be online in the Fall. I can't see spending that kind of money being online at Stanford from my living room. That leads me to another question - if California universities are going to shut down in the Fall, will kids transfer to places that are not shut down? Too bad Idaho doesn't have a D1 program. 

I know pro sports are having these conversations about states opening up and having an advantage over states that don't - from a professional standpoint. 

Edited by Idaho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I saw where Florida's governor issued an open invitation to ANY pro sports team to come to Florida if their current State of residence is not going to allow them to compete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bronco said:

Yep - I just saw that on his Twitter account.  However I had never seen him listed as a Stanford commit previously.   

Hard to fathom why someone would commit to Stanford and then de-commit and sign with Simon Fraser - other than the cost of attending Stanford perhaps.

Pinfall did NOT have him listed as a Stanford commit previously.  I just noticed today that he IS listed as a Stanford commit.

Had him committed to Stanford, but using Aizayah Maka Yacapin. 
 

Wasn’t one announced on twitter though. 

Edited by PinFallRecruit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PinFallRecruit said:

Had him committed to Stanford, but using Aizayah Maka Yacapin. 
 

Wasn’t one announced on twitter though. 

His commitment to Simon Fraser was - in fact - posted on his Twitter account.  As mentioned above he was a Stanford commit last year but is no longer.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EXkqt6cUEAcokn7?format=jpg&name=small

In fact that same photo about him committing to Simon Fraser was used six days ago (May 9th) on PinFall Recruiting

https://twitter.com/PinFallRecruit

Yet he remains listed by Pinfall as a Stanford commit here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CbZ_mXrXrfs9ygTkDmMO5TWNR1NQWMw5kT_Vnj7Q1dg/edit#gid=109247227

Edited by Bronco
add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Bronco said:

His commitment to Simon Fraser was - in fact - posted on his Twitter account.  As mentioned above he was a Stanford commit last year but is no longer.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EXkqt6cUEAcokn7?format=jpg&name=small

In fact that same photo about him committing to Simon Fraser was used six days ago (May 9th) on PinFall Recruiting

https://twitter.com/PinFallRecruit

Yet he remains listed by Pinfall as a Stanford commit here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CbZ_mXrXrfs9ygTkDmMO5TWNR1NQWMw5kT_Vnj7Q1dg/edit#gid=109247227

Yep.

I did announce his commit to Simon Fraser, but not the commit to Stanford. I didn't see it until I was looking up the current/previous ranked wrestlers that I didn't have a commit for.

He was listed to Stanford at the end of April and then switched a couple weeks later.

I am no longer updating the sheet though because commits are on the new website. I should put something on there that it isn't being updated anymore though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I am excited he will be at Simon Fraser next year. I've been able to watch him in this area since he was a little guy, and have always been impressed with him.

SFU is getting some good recruits, and this is definitely good for wrestling in the Northwest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long story short (too late I know) is he won't be a possibility for 133 lbs for Stanford next season.   133 lbs for Stanford for next season remains a bit murky as to who will be the starter at that weight class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Bronco said:

Long story short (too late I know) is he won't be a possibility for 133 lbs for Stanford next season.   133 lbs for Stanford for next season remains a bit murky as to who will be the starter at that weight class.

Did Dalton Young grow out of the weight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, calot said:

Did Dalton Young grow out of the weight?

The question that needs to be answered is who does Stanford have if Dalton Young isn't their starter next season at 133 lbs? Does DiSario move up to 133 and leave Logan Ashton or Jason Miranda as the starter at 125 lbs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bronco said:

The question that needs to be answered is who does Stanford have if Dalton Young isn't their starter next season at 133 lbs? Does DiSario move up to 133 and leave Logan Ashton or Jason Miranda as the starter at 125 lbs?

The only weight Stanford has  depth is 149.That question can be asked at 9 other weights as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, calot said:

The only weight Stanford has  depth is 149.That question can be asked at 9 other weights as well 

Disagree...........a lot depends on who will be at which weight class for 2021.  Secondly Stanford has depth at 6 weight classes IMO.  125 lbs with DiSario and Ashton and Miranda and Rowan - 141 lbs with Real Woods and Fabian Santilan - 149 lbs with Requir van der Merwe and Jaden Abas - 174 lbs with Jared Hill and Foster Karmon and possibly Dominick Mandarino -  184 lbs with Judah Duhm and Foster Karmon and Nick Addison - and 197 lbs with Traxler and the three incoming freshmen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Disagree...........a lot depends on who will be at which weight class for 2021.  Secondly Stanford has depth at 6 weight classes IMO.  125 lbs with DiSario and Ashton and Miranda and Rowan - 141 lbs with Real Woods and Fabian Santilan - 149 lbs with Requir van der Merwe and Jaden Abas - 174 lbs with Jared Hill and Foster Karmon and possibly Dominick Mandarino -  184 lbs with Judah Duhm and Foster Karmon and Nick Addison - and 197 lbs with Traxler and the three incoming freshmen.

Forgot about Santilan he could make a tournament if he was the starter.On the others we will agree to disagree.You listed some guys with below .500 career D1 records to me they're not depth 

Edited by calot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, calot said:

Forgot about Santilan he could make a tournament if he was the starter.On the others we will agree to disagree.You listed some guys with below .500 career D1 records to me they're not depth 

Depth is having a guy who can step in and produce close to similar results with little drop off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Idaho said:

Depth is having a guy who can step in and produce close to similar results with little drop off. 

I agree with that.Exactly why I said Stanford only has depth at 149.But I forgot about Santilan he could make a tournament but won't produce similar results to Woods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bronco said:

Disagree...........a lot depends on who will be at which weight class for 2021.  Secondly Stanford has depth at 6 weight classes IMO.  125 lbs with DiSario and Ashton and Miranda and Rowan - 141 lbs with Real Woods and Fabian Santilan - 149 lbs with Requir van der Merwe and Jaden Abas - 174 lbs with Jared Hill and Foster Karmon and possibly Dominick Mandarino -  184 lbs with Judah Duhm and Foster Karmon and Nick Addison - and 197 lbs with Traxler and the three incoming freshmen.

Fabian got off to to a rough start, but he is one of the greener guys in DI wrestling. He will eventually make a very big name for himself. I wish he could make 133 and hit the lineup next year, but I doubt he can make that weight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Idaho said:

Depth is having a guy who can step in and produce close to similar results with little drop off. 

Depth is having multiple talented and semi-talented guys at a weight class - who can fill in in the event of an injury.  Anyone who thinks Stanford or even Arizona State is going to have the same sort of "depth" as teams like Iowa and Penn State, i.e., the PROFESSIONAL teams, is delusional or just plain clueless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...