fadzaev2

Did an assistant coaching job open up at the University of Wisconsin

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

I get the NCAA Champ part, but man, 4x AA and Finalist sounds every bit as good to me as a 1x Champ(depending on what he did his other 3 years).

I guess that opens up a nice new thread idea!

And Bono himself was an NC only because Lincoln Mac decided to redshirt that year.

12 minutes ago, jchapman said:

And Bono himself was an NC only because Lincoln Mac decided to redshirt that year.

Or would he only have been a 2xer? Everyone sold Marinelli short as well....(pun not intended)

3 hours ago, npope said:

Have you heard some rumors to that effect, or are you simply starting one? While Jordan has a nice connection with the Badger program, I think he would be an unusual choice for Bono. While a Badger alum, Jordan is not a native WI product, nor was he a NCAA champ (which seems to be a requirement to serve as a coach on Bono's staff). Last, Jordan was a Barry Davis guy - no connection to the current coaching regime. All that said, I have never heard anything but good about the guy - just sounds like this is coming out of left field.

No rumors just saying I’d be happy to see him Remain with the IU program for awhile.  I’m sure he’s not at main assistant coach level yet for a top program, but I don’t care after the shuffle if they have a 3rd assistant coach opening he’d be fine fore, I’d just rather him stay put for now. 

The Wisconsin position looks to be a paid position, so thus either Reader or McDonough are gone possibly. They can only have two paid assistant coaches, so one is definitely out.

1 hour ago, Grim Reaper said:

....or maybe he just got tired of Bono’s and reader’s antics. 

To what antics do you refer? I follow WI wrestling and as a casual fan I am not seeing any goofy behavior by the coaching staff - am I missing something?

1 hour ago, npope said:

To what antics do you refer? I follow WI wrestling and as a casual fan I am not seeing any goofy behavior by the coaching staff - am I missing something?

All the Cyclone insider jokes.

21 minutes ago, jchapman said:

All the Cyclone insider jokes.

Guess I hadn't been privy to them, but I could imagine how that might make a Hawkeye a little bit edgy.

It was weird watching Badgers, seeing former 125 lb wrestler McDonough looking bigger than Bono. Bono looks like He got caught in a Rick Moranis movie. I was blown away like he was a 150 lb NCAA champ and looked way smaller than Matt Mc.

49 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

It was weird watching Badgers, seeing former 125 lb wrestler McDonough looking bigger than Bono. Bono looks like He got caught in a Rick Moranis movie. I was blown away like he was a 150 lb NCAA champ and looked way smaller than Matt Mc.

That coaching staff is living proof that any "body" can wrestle: Beanpole, bowling ball of muscle, ripped athlete, and the "Dad Bod God".

8 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

The guy is short no doubt. But the Rick Moranis comment is plain stupid!  The guy was built like a tank and still is. Remember when he has competing as head coach and walked through the field at Midlands about 10 years ago or so?  Dude has muscles on top of muscles. 

The guy is short no doubt. But the Rick Moranis comment is plain stupid!  The guy was built like a tank and still is. Remember when he has competing as head coach and walked through the field at Midlands about 10 years ago or so?  Dude has muscles on top of muscles. 

I think you missed the point. You should go watch the classic film Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.

8 hours ago, IronChef said:

I think you missed the point. You should go watch the classic film Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.

I simply took it as his being directly compared to Rick Moranis, who is a tiny feeble looking dude, since he as played that role in a bunch of other movies Plus, those shrinking movies shrunk everyone uniformally. For that to have worked on Bono, he would have had to literally start out the size of the CGI Incredible Hulk. 

Nate would be good to MSU maybe, close enough to Ohio and able to get home for lifting workouts. Illinois has an opening, Wyoming (although maybe already filled out unofficially). Is Kelly still out of work? Stanford now has an opening and Kelly has been there once. At least one more big program with an opening in the next week I’m strongly thinking.

16 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

Nate would be good to MSU maybe, close enough to Ohio and able to get home for lifting workouts. Illinois has an opening, Wyoming (although maybe already filled out unofficially). Is Kelly still out of work? Stanford now has an opening and Kelly has been there once. At least one more big program with an opening in the next week I’m strongly thinking.

Kelly back at Stanford is doubtful I don't believe they parted on the best of terms

Didn’t know that. What a funny little circle. Kelly at Stanford then to ASU. Pendleton goes to oregon state from ASU, word was Kelly with him. Then Zeke fires Kelly. Kelly doesn’t end up in Corvallis. Rather Ingle from Stanford. Maybe Stanford hires Kelly back, or he goes to Illinois , To replace IMAR, LOL.

46 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

Didn’t know that. What a funny little circle. Kelly at Stanford then to ASU. Pendleton goes to oregon state from ASU, word was Kelly with him. Then Zeke fires Kelly. Kelly doesn’t end up in Corvallis. Rather Ingle from Stanford. Maybe Stanford hires Kelly back, or he goes to Illinois , To replace IMAR, LOL.

Hahaha that would be funny.Tomasello to Illinois would help the lightweights and  give Zane Richards a good guy to train with.Just not sure about Tomasello plans after 2021.

On 5/17/2020 at 8:57 AM, fadzaev2 said:

Was it Metcalf's sophomore year Bono beat him in the finals of midlands? Where was Bono a head coach at then? I hadn't realized he was a coach at the time.

After reading that link I looked up this Askren vs. Poeta match. Great match even if they were a bit out of their prime's. Poeta was so good but looked to run out of steam at the end. Would've loved to see him keep competing after college in freestyle or MMA.