fadzaev2

Did an assistant coaching job open up at the University of Wisconsin

2 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

Was it Metcalf's sophomore year Bono beat him in the finals of midlands? Where was Bono a head coach at then? I hadn't realized he was a coach at the time.

After reading that link I looked up this Askren vs. Poeta match. Great match even if they were a bit out of their prime's. Poeta was so good but looked to run out of steam at the end. Would've loved to see him keep competing after college in freestyle or MMA. 

I researched this the best I could.....I've got Metcalf winning Midlands in  '07 over Patacsil 18-5, in '08 over Ruschell 14=5, in '08 over Ruschell 9-2 and Bono's only one in the "Brent Metcalf erea"  was in the same "08 over Cyler Sanderson at 157 4-2  OT TB3  (the bracket says TB1).  Other than that......

UTC's Chris Bono Wins Midlands For Fourth Career Title

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - by B.B. Branton

Keyed by a second overtime takedown, UT-Chattanooga wrestling coach Chris Bono won his fourth career Midlands Championship with a 4-2, 3OT triumph against No. 2 Cyler Sanderson (Iowa State) here Tuesday night at the Welsh-Ryan Arena at Northwestern University.

The top seed at 157, Bono, a 1996 NCAA champion, won six straight matches outscoring his collegiate oppponents, 49-18. His other Midlands titles can in 1997, 1999 and 2000.

Finals (157): 1-1 at the end of regulation ... Neither wrestler scores in the sudden death, one minute first overtime ...

11 hours ago, calot said:

Hahaha that would be funny.Tomasello to Illinois would help the lightweights and  give Zane Richards a good guy to train with.Just not sure about Tomasello plans after 2021.

NATO posted on twitter he is looking for a landing spot to begin a D1 coaching career.

4 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

Was it Metcalf's sophomore year Bono beat him in the finals of midlands? Where was Bono a head coach at then? I hadn't realized he was a coach at the time.

After reading that link I looked up this Askren vs. Poeta match. Great match even if they were a bit out of their prime's. Poeta was so good but looked to run out of steam at the end. Would've loved to see him keep competing after college in freestyle or MMA. 

Poeta did compete on the senior circuit, but there was (is) a buzzsaw named Jordan Burroughs so he moved on to coaching pretty quickly

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Poeta did compete on the senior circuit, but there was (is) a buzzsaw named Jordan Burroughs so he moved on to coaching pretty quickly

Poeta was a bit of a tweener too.  He wasn't a very big 157lber, IMHO.  He just didn't seem to have the size and horsepower for 74kg.

12 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

I researched this the best I could.....I've got Metcalf winning Midlands in  '07 over Patacsil 18-5, in '08 over Ruschell 14=5, in '08 over Ruschell 9-2 and Bono's only one in the "Brent Metcalf erea"  was in the same "08 over Cyler Sanderson at 157 4-2  OT TB3  (the bracket says TB1).  Other than that......

UTC's Chris Bono Wins Midlands For Fourth Career Title

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - by B.B. Branton

Keyed by a second overtime takedown, UT-Chattanooga wrestling coach Chris Bono won his fourth career Midlands Championship with a 4-2, 3OT triumph against No. 2 Cyler Sanderson (Iowa State) here Tuesday night at the Welsh-Ryan Arena at Northwestern University.

The top seed at 157, Bono, a 1996 NCAA champion, won six straight matches outscoring his collegiate oppponents, 49-18. His other Midlands titles can in 1997, 1999 and 2000.

Finals (157): 1-1 at the end of regulation ... Neither wrestler scores in the sudden death, one minute first overtime ...

You're right I was misremembering because Bono won the weight up from Metcalf. It's been awhile.

3 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

Regarding MM. Sources say possibly look for him roaming closer to home. Talks took place anyway. Not sure if logistics will line up but there may be an opportunity.

Madison is one of the closest schools to his home besides Iowa, UNI and some d3 schools.  

On 5/14/2020 at 1:06 PM, GreenandGold said:

It appears to be true, no other information though.

https://jobs.hr.wisc.edu/en-us/job/504922/assistant-wrestling-coach

Given that the UW is a public institution, I don't think they can post an opening unless the opening actually exists, i.e., someone has resigned. If true, that would suggest that one of the coaches has already resigned. To do so without a job already in hand runs counter-intuitive to me. And given the silence on all fronts, is it possible that one of the Badger coaches got sacked and the silence we are hearing is just everyone involved trying to be discrete about the situation? Please know, I have absolutely no inside information on the program...I am just connecting dots and asking a sincere question.

Basically the parties agreed to go their own way. Matt is outty 5000, Captain Bonofide had the job posted and may have a certain guy in mind. One week posting usually says that’s the case. Matt looking at other options but was not taken by surprise on this.

3 hours ago, VakAttack said:

The posting is likely pro forma. It seems like they fired McDonough to make room for Seth Gross.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Could be....coaching can be a tough business.

45 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

Basically the parties agreed to go their own way. Matt is outty 5000, Captain Bonofide had the job posted and may have a certain guy in mind. One week posting usually says that’s the case. Matt looking at other options but was not taken by surprise on this.

Yeah, I don't know that they necessarily did anything wrong or even made the wrong decision, especially since this was likely the best, and maybe only, way to keep Seth Gross around since Wisconsin RTC wasn't likely to have the money to pay him what other RTCs could, but the UW coaching position gives him a stable salary to compensate him.

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Yeah, I don't know that they necessarily did anything wrong or even made the wrong decision, especially since this was likely the best, and maybe only, way to keep Seth Gross around since Wisconsin RTC wasn't likely to have the money to pay him what other RTCs could, but the UW coaching position gives him a stable salary to compensate him.

Just bumped heads Bono isn't easy to work for at all.Might be only a few guys worse to work for in D1.A program up North has had 14 assistants in 7 years 

36 minutes ago, calot said:

Just bumped heads Bono isn't easy to work for at all.Might be only a few guys worse to work for in D1.A program up North has had 14 assistants in 7 years 

Are you referring to Eggum at Minnesota?

9 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Are you referring to Eggum at Minnesota?

No Buffalo.Eggum isn't known as being hard to work for.

Edited by calot

8 hours ago, calot said:

Buffalo is actually south of Madison.

14 hours ago, calot said:

No Buffalo.Eggum isn't known as being hard to work for.

Is it really because of the coach?  I can’t imagine a Buffalo assistant coaching salary pays very much, and it’s in Buffalo.  Could it be they’re just moving when they get other opportunities?

BtW, re: the OP, I see the listing expired.  Maybe we see an announcement Tuesday after the holiday weekend?

If the assumption is McD is leaving, my guess is it’s on good terms as he still has it listed on his social media.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Is it really because of the coach?  I can’t imagine a Buffalo assistant coaching salary pays very much, and it’s in Buffalo.  Could it be they’re just moving when they get other opportunities?

Well a few left without even having other jobs.And they pay better then many MAC schools for assistants.Not sure how many people you know in the wrestling world ask around and you will soon think differently.

Edited by calot