fadzaev2

Did an assistant coaching job open up at the University of Wisconsin

Gross listed as Asst Coach in Wisconsin Directory, no entry for McDonough (Bono and Reader in there as well)

https://www.wisc.edu/directories/person/?q=SETH A GROSS&email=sgross8%40wisc.edu&savedQuery=gross seth&returnPath=%2Fdirectories%2F

https://www.wisc.edu/directories/?q=mcdonough

Pretty sure McD's twitter bio used to say "Badger Wrestling coach" but doesnt anymore 

https://twitter.com/mcdominate17

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Gross listed as Asst Coach in Wisconsin Directory, no entry for McDonough (Bono and Reader in there as well)

https://www.wisc.edu/directories/person/?q=SETH A GROSS&email=sgross8%40wisc.edu&savedQuery=gross seth&returnPath=%2Fdirectories%2F

https://www.wisc.edu/directories/?q=mcdonough

Pretty sure McD's twitter bio used to say "Badger Wrestling coach" but doesnt anymore 

https://twitter.com/mcdominate17

Thanks for the link.  That pretty much puts an end to the speculation.  Looks like Gross is in and McBono is out.

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

Thanks for the link.  That pretty much puts an end to the speculation.  Looks like Gross is in and McBono is out.

Yeah - I pulled this information over to the WI wrestling site to see if anyone knows something or can explain why the coaching staff might be sitting on a formal announcement. Might hear some rationale there...but I can't explain the silence.

18 hours ago, jchapman said:

HR also noticed McD no longer listed on the team website (he was still there when I made my prior post), so I guess that makes his leaving officially official.

On 5/27/2020 at 9:47 AM, 1032004 said:

So if Gross is hired, will he have to tone down the God stuff?   I would think a state university would frown upon a guy having a twitter handle of "GodsWrestler," right?

Doubtful, doesnt stop Tom Ryan. 

Seems odd that they wouldn't issue a statement saying that McDonough is no longer with the program, thanking him for his contributions, and wishing him well in his future endeavors. 

2 hours ago, Cementmixer103 said:

I don't know..

Gross is an awesome, awesome wrestler but if I'm a lightweight recruitI I'd prefer McD coaching me.

If you are 16-17 years old, who did you grow up watching?

For once the Badgers held an embarrassment of riches - both Gross and McDonough would likely be well sought-after assistant coaches...looks like Bucky had to make a choice. Good for the Badgers. Good for Gross. Sure hope McD lands in a good spot that allows him to grow and develop as a coach - seems like a quality guy.

1 hour ago, npope said:

For once the Badgers held an embarrassment of riches - both Gross and McDonough would likely be well sought-after assistant coaches...looks like Bucky had to make a choice. Good for the Badgers. Good for Gross. Sure hope McD lands in a good spot that allows him to grow and develop as a coach - seems like a quality guy.

And I see John Sebastian is going to stay to coach with the RTC. Probably finishing up his grad degree.

11 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

And I see John Sebastian is going to stay to coach with the RTC. Probably finishing up his grad degree.

From what I have read, he will finish his second master degree this summer - already has a bachelor and master degree in business from Northwestern. Not sure what to make of it, but he certainly has a pretty impressive set of credentials from some good schools to accept maybe a $50,000 salary and an assistant coach career. Sounds like a temporary stop to me, but I am not sure why he is making it at all; would think he has bigger fish to fry in the "real" world. But if that's what he wants...more power to him.

2 minutes ago, npope said:

From what I have read, he will finish his second master degree this summer - already has a bachelor and master degree in business from Northwestern. Not sure what to make of it, but he certainly has a pretty impressive set of credentials from some good schools to accept maybe a $50,000 salary and an assistant coach career. Sounds like a temporary stop to me, but I am not sure why he is making it at all; would think he has bigger fish to fry in the "real" world. But if that's what he wants...more power to him.

Maybe he wants to do something he loves?

8 minutes ago, npope said:

Maybe, but you don't need three business degrees to be a wrestling coach. Just sayin'. But again, to each their own.

No, but you need to keep going to school while you use up your 6th year of eligibility, and business degrees are easier to get than STEM degrees while competing in athletics, no labs, “business math” classes, etc.

Edited by jchapman