Glane18

Anybody with an update on what's going on in Dagestan (Via Corona)?

After Khabib's dad got Covid and went into a coma there was a lot of news about what the Corona Virus has done to Dagestan.  I don't have any official sources so I'm reaching out here, but on Reddit, a lot of the locals in Dagestan were posting that at least 90% of the people in that area had the virus and the government was covering it all up.  Anybody have any facts on this?  Dagestan is a major hotbed of wrestling so I'd imagine this is affecting the wrestling world there a lot.  Thanks for any facts!

23 hours ago, PinFallRecruit said:

Khadzhimurad Gadzhiyev’s grandpa has been telling me they haven’t been hit very hard yet, but the last update I got was a few weeks ago. I’ll ask him again and see what he has to say. 

He says there is only a couple deaths and it’s spreading, but everything is shut down and quarantined. They canceled their parade last weekend. No schools. I’m guessing he means his little village/town and not all of Dagestan. 

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

There’s a linked article at the bottom about  Borrero exhibiting c19 symptoms a few days after returning to Cuba from Pan Ams. I wonder if he picked up the virus in Canada or if he carried it there. If either are true, it could mean others in attendance at Pan Ams may have been exposed as well.

ETA: it looks like a medical staff member also contracted Covid-19 but the rest of the Cuban team tested negative as of early April.

Edited by pamela

55 minutes ago, irani said:

I know it's not Dagestan, but Sharif Sharifov from Azerbajan has it too, and so does his entire family

https://www.khabarvarzeshi.com/fa/news/260415/قهرمان-کشتی-المپیک-هم-به-کرونا-مبتلا-شد

Sharifov is Dagestani as well.  Don't know if he still lives there but that is where he is from.

Hopefully the wrestlers who contract c19 recover fully. Being a respiratory illness, covid could have long-term effects that could decrease their gas tank, like chronic asthma and bronchial/lung tissue scarring, depending on the severity of the infection. Fortunately for Sadulaev, a lot of his matches don't go long enough to test his conditioning!