Sign in to follow this  
Glane18

Will we have a 2020-2021 wrestling season?

D2 already canceled all fall sports (Sorry, I thought that D2 colleges in CA canceled fall sports and even worded that wrong.  I guess it was only 1 conference that did), and in California, all California State University classes will be online for the fall.  At the high school level in CA, the CIF is looking at a shortened football season in the fall where they start in late September or early October (all preliminary).  I teach and coach in CA and our district is not allowing any sort of contact, practices, or even hiring of new coaches right now for any sport.  I'm nervous that CA, and other states, might push this back even further.  I hope not.  On Twitter, Willie Saylor mentioned something about how his sources say we will have a college wrestling season next year.  What does it look like for all of you across the country?   

Edited by Glane18

4 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

???

A D2 conference in California canceled all fall sports.He either worded it wrong or he believes all of D2 canceled fall sports which isnt true.

Edited by calot

12 hours ago, Glane18 said:

D2 already canceled all fall sports, and in California, all California State University classes will be online for the fall.  At the high school level in CA, the CIF is looking at a shortened football season in the fall where they start in late September or early October (all preliminary).  I teach and coach in CA and our district is not allowing any sort of contact, practices, or even hiring of new coaches right now for any sport.  I'm nervous that CA, and other states, might push this back even further.  I hope not.  On Twitter, Willie Saylor mentioned something about how his sources say we will have a college wrestling season next year.  What does it look like for all of you across the country?   

Please get your facts straight, D2 did not cancel all fall sports.  And neither Willie Saylor nor his sources has a clue as to whether or not we will have college wrestling next year (along with everyone else).  The situation is changing daily, and anyone claiming to know what's going to happen 6 months from now is just blowing smoke.

Edited by KCMO2

34 minutes ago, Glane18 said:

Edited my post.  Sorry about that.  I meant to say that D2 in CA canceled fall sports but I was even wrong about that.  I guess it was a single conference.  

You have to admire a man who can admit he was wrong and even wronger than he admitted.

To modify the topic slightly (meaning I don't think this justifies its own thread):  Does anyone think that there will be changes to the way the coaches set up their schedules?  First things first, colleges need to open for there to be sports, and colleges can open one semester at a time.  Does it make sense for coaches currently planning their schedules to aim for duals primarily from January through the end of February, with mainly open tournaments before then?  That way if the fall semester is canceled the season is still salvageable.  

Has anyone heard whether any coaches are taking this approach?

6 minutes ago, shieldofpistis said:

Do you think there will be college football?

Not in the fall, possibly in the spring.

I think college wrestling won't happen in the fall, but it's possible that there will be a winter wrestling season (i.e. second semester only) if the vaccine development/manufacturing gets streamlined beyond current expectations.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

Lol at all of you.  I suck.  Anyway, will the teams be able to have non-conference duals?  Will they be allowed to fly during the regular season?  Will fans be able to attend duals/tournaments?  

I just received an e-mail from Lehigh's athletic director (not to me personally, part of a big group) -- they're looking at a 25% reduction in spending MINIMUM for 20-21.  Fewer dates, less travel, you name it, it's going to be cut.  No food served in meetings.  Hiring freezes.