Sign in to follow this  
iowawrestling8989

Mat-Side Coach Interviews

Not to be the 1,000th person to complain about this, but I cannot stand these. Interviewing Cael seconds before a semi-final match, as well as asking very annoying questions to Brands and Ryan during the challenge is rediculous. Ryan handled it much better than Brands, but I can't blame Blands' for his responses. He was like, you obviously know what I'm thinking. Did anyone catch his smerk at the camera when Ryan was getting interviewed? That Quint has some balls, however.

On a positive note, great night of wrestling! And great to see Dake interviewed by ESPN.. great night for wrestling!!

Agree with you, but I have been soundly rebutted in that other thread.

ESPN didn't even show the title trophy being handed out for a team national championship.

One other thing to nitpick. If you taped tonight's broadcast you got everything EXCEPT the Fv@&ing Taylor-Dake match. Think about that for a second. For all the ESPN hype of the match, it ended way after the 11pm broadcast of the show was over. It wouldn't matter to the person watching it live because they pre-empted Sports Center, but if you DVR'd the show then you were screwed. Your DVR replay ends 20 seconds into period 2.

They had three hours to get 10 matches in and they could not do it. I saw this coming and DVR'd Sports Center, but if you didn't have that foresight and you wanted to see the end of the match on DVR, good luck with that.

not sure what to respond to.

i have had dvr for more then 10 years and i never ever ... ever record a live sports show as is. i always add 30 or more minutes.

i actually tried not adding time once 10 years ago and watched a 4th quarter football drive end in dvr history.

with that said. how many wrestling fans missed the end of this? i just saw the end a few minutes ago...

why is this an espn thing? alnost no sporting events that i watch end at the exact time. ... football never. baseball never. soccer is usually perfect... hockey most of the time.

sometimes wrestling fans are their own worst enemy.

Not to be the 1,000th person to complain about this, but I cannot stand these. Interviewing Cael seconds before a semi-final match, as well as asking very annoying questions to Brands and Ryan during the challenge is rediculous. Ryan handled it much better than Brands, but I can't blame Blands' for his responses. He was like, you obviously know what I'm thinking. Did anyone catch his smerk at the camera when Ryan was getting interviewed? That Quint has some balls, however.

On a positive note, great night of wrestling! And great to see Dake interviewed by ESPN.. great night for wrestling!!

The Brands brothers have a great sense of humor, but can also intimidate Chuck Norris given the right setting. I would love to see a still frame pic of that smirk...it was awesome!

Brand was great - loved the smirk and humor. I don't follow him much so I gotta say I was surprised. Good stuff. Also loved seeing the two sit together. How cool was that?! Awesome.

Yes, anyone that didn't tell there DVR to tape long or didn't tell sportscenter to tape, novice mistake.

I think it is great that it ran long. All the folks tuning into sports center got to check out a great math and wrestling history!

why is this an espn thing? alnost no sporting events that i watch end at the exact time. ... football never. baseball never. soccer is usually perfect... hockey most of the time.

It's not an "ESPN thing." It's all about how often the clock (if there is a clock) stops.

*In soccer, the clock never stops -- so you know almost exactly when it's going to end (+/- 5 minutes).

*Hockey has long stretches of continuous play.

*Basketball finishes in 2 hours (+/-) most of the time. But a lot of fouls and timeouts can push a regulation game to 2:30 (a Big East game went 2:40 a few years ago -- without overtime!).

*Football gets drawn out with timeouts, incomplete passes, etc.

*Baseball has no clock.

With wrestling, a match could take 30 seconds or it could take 15 minutes. You have stoppages for out of bounds, blood, injury, challenge/review. And on top of that, the potential for multiple overtime periods.

Also, without commercial breaks, there wouldn't be a broadcast. Somebody has to pay for the whole thing.