4xAA(1x Finalist) or 1xAA(NCAA Champ)?

4 hours ago, lu_alum said:

So, the OP is basically asking, would you rather be:

Sam Hazewinkel (132-10): 3-3-3-2

or

Derek Moore (92-21): DNP-DNP-DNP-1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How about Anthony Cassar

Did not start, Did not start, Did not start, Champ.

15 hours ago, pamela said:

Which school? :D

How about NC and Hodge true freshman year, but then flunk out of school and never compete again and have no college degree Vs 8th place Senior year and graduate college.

Which school? :D

??????https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Hodge_Trophy  TJ Jaworsky is the only Hodge winner from NC, but he was a 3 time NCAA Champion.

How about Anthony Cassar  

Did not start, Did not start, Did not start, Champ.

Aren’t you misrepresenting Cassar’s career?

Anthony Cassar (49-3): RS-INJ-INJ-JV-1-INJ

43 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Aren’t you misrepresenting Cassar’s career?

Anthony Cassar (49-3): RS-INJ-INJ-JV-1-INJ

Not really.

At the end of the day he didnt start except for the season he won.

It doesnt really matter the reason why he didnt start.

If Michael Jordan's career was injury plagued he wouldnt have gone down in history as the greatest basketball player of all time.

So let me flip the question back to you. Who had the better overall career?

Injury plagued Cassar? Or 4x AA Hazewinkle?

So let me flip the question back to you. Who had the better overall career?
Injury plagued Cassar? Or 4x AA Hazewinkle?

Hazewinkel. He was a starter each of his competitive years. Cassar was JV in one of his healthy seasons.

Cassar doesn’t even rate above Derek Moore, as Moore was a starter each year.

2 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Hazewinkel. He was a starter each of his competitive years. Cassar was JV in one of his healthy seasons.

Cassar doesn’t even rate above Derek Moore, as Moore was a starter each year.

Agreed. Casar has the better/more rewarding story IMO, but not the better career.

How about a 4x AA with World/Olympic Gold, or a 2x/3x NCAA Champ without a world/olympic medal?

such as...

Kevin Jackson (3,3,7,2)/2x World Gold, Olympic Champ vs. Brent Metcalf (1,2,1)/3x World Team Member 

6 hours ago, yonz_g said:

How about a 4x AA with World/Olympic Gold, or a 2x/3x NCAA Champ without a world/olympic medal?

such as...

Kevin Jackson (3,3,7,2)/2x World Gold, Olympic Champ vs. Brent Metcalf (1,2,1)/3x World Team Member 

I would take KJ's accomplishments over Metcalf, although both are legends.

Olympic gold bests everything else.

18 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Jamill Kelly-0x AA, more or less a fluke Olympic Silver and no other medals at worlds

vs

Jared Lawrence, 4x AA and 1x champion.

No world teams

Kelly, an Olympic freestyle medal is more prestigious than 4x AA and an NCAA title

On 5/17/2020 at 1:09 PM, BigTenFanboy said:

Agreed. Casar has the better/more rewarding story IMO, but not the better career.

I think we can all agree Hazewinkel had the better career. But to answer the question of which one you would rather be... that’s a one time champ without a doubt. Haze had a career of constantly coming so close to his goal but falling a little short. His accomplishments are amazing, but I’m sure he always felt a little disappointed with how his NCAA career ended. Cassar had a storybook ending (well, he would have if he retired right after his title), and I’m sure he would not trade that one year of being a champ for four healthy seasons to take 2nd or 3rd. 

4 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

I think we can all agree Hazewinkel had the better career. But to answer the question of which one you would rather be... that’s a one time champ without a doubt. Haze had a career of constantly coming so close to his goal but falling a little short. His accomplishments are amazing, but I’m sure he always felt a little disappointed with how his NCAA career ended. Cassar had a storybook ending (well, he would have if he retired right after his title), and I’m sure he would not trade that one year of being a champ for four healthy seasons to take 2nd or 3rd. 

I think Haze would trade his four medals for Cassar's gold in a heartbeat

On 5/22/2020 at 8:17 AM, Eagle26 said:

Not necessarily. Like I said earlier its depends on what you value. Consistency vs Peak.

3 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Not necessarily. Like I said earlier its depends on what you value. Consistency vs Peak.

You are right, it depends if you value consistently falling short over reaching the peak accomplishment of your sport. 

5 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

You are right, it depends if you value consistently falling short over reaching the peak accomplishment of your sport. 

Sure if thats how you want to frame it. 

It could also very easily be framed the other way around.

It depends if you value being a 1 hit wonder over consistently year in year out being amongst the very top performers.