Sign in to follow this  
Pinnum

Without the ability to cut more sports, the MAC has been forced to stop putting up their football team in hotels before home games.

This is how bad it has gotten...

With the NCAA not approving the MAC's blanket request to be able to eliminate more sports at their schools in an effort to save money, the schools in the MAC are being forced to reduce football spending so much that football players will have to sleep in their own beds before home games.

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/college/2020/05/15/mac-football-teams-change-hotel-policy-shrink-travel-roster/stories/20200515055

30 minutes ago, Pinnum said:

This is how bad it has gotten...

With the NCAA not approving the MAC's blanket request to be able to eliminate more sports at their schools in an effort to save money, the schools in the MAC are being forced to reduce football spending so much that football players will have to sleep in their own beds before home games.

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/college/2020/05/15/mac-football-teams-change-hotel-policy-shrink-travel-roster/stories/20200515055

I assume they will still be served breakfast in bed.

53 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

My bar room napkin math puts that cost cut at more than 100k per team. 

To put that in perspective .... that's more than the annual budget for some EIWA wrestling teams.

Rumor has it the booster are buying them sports cars without turbo engines. Gasp, those heathens.

Also @Plasmodium's figure might be a slightly understated, as other revenue sports do the same. A number of Pac-12 men's basketball teams for example stay at hotels in their own cities for home games (and there's typically 2 games per week). WTH

16 hours ago, NJDan said:

I assume they will still be served breakfast in bed.

You laugh, but I’m pretty sure the ODU study quoted something about making sure the football team had “unlimited breakfast” available or something.

29 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Saw a article that ranked the conferences by football attendance over the last 5 years and the MAC is the worst with 15,700 fans per game.Sunbelt was the 2nd worse with 17,800 

Edited by calot

Not sure of other places but I know a couple of those MAC cities took a huge hit in their local population when several of the factories in the area shut down for good.  This created a domino effect leading to other supportive businesses shutting down too and more potential game attendees moving away.  Those cities are now at a point where the jobs and revenue related to the school is one of the few things still propping up these communities.  

Lets face it at a mid-major your only going to draw so many of the college kids on a Saturday morning or alumni from more than 30min. unless the teams is having a banner year.  Thus the support of the town is huge, and for some MAC cities the population just is not there any more to keep their attendance strong on average.  I’d also argue the Sunbelt get a little more bump in attendance in comparison just due to being in a slightly larger football hotbed compared to the MAC schools. 

Edited by MadMardigain

1 hour ago, JasonBryant said:

#FirstWorldProblems

Let's also note that some of the MAC football attendance figures are severely jacked up, like Eastern Michigan, which rarely has more than 5K butts in the seats, and pays for tickets to be above the minimum. 

Facts.MAC football is so bad it's hard to watch.

great topic and great responses. thanks for sharing, pinnum. 

i never quite understood that phenomenon. Nebraska stays in a hotel like a block away from their stadium (some of you no doubt stayed at the same hotel for Final X) for their home games. 

waste of resources imo. 

11 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

great topic and great responses. thanks for sharing, pinnum. 

i never quite understood that phenomenon. Nebraska stays in a hotel like a block away from their stadium (some of you no doubt stayed at the same hotel for Final X) for their home games. 

waste of resources imo. 

Don’t you remember Friday nights in college? It’s not an environment conducive to sleep.  These guys probably have to wake up at 8 for a noon kickoff.  

It costs a lot of money, but I completely understand why these teams stay at hotels for home games. 

ya. perhaps there is some value in that. but does it not hold true for other sports? 

and in nebraska's case, why wouldn't you do a hotel a little outside of downtown (where all the insanity is anyway)?

to go a little further - you make the point that it is more ideal b/c of the college environment on friday nights, and i buy that, but I just can't see how the cost is justified at smaller programs.

according to a recent report, only something like 24 college football teams operate at a profit. 

Don't most (all?) of the power schools have athletics dorms?  It should be easier to control lights-out in that environment than when the players are spread all over campus.

One of Lehigh's best players told me once that he could never sleep the night before a game.  He tried to get a good night's rest the night before that, then just not do anything too stupid the night before the game.

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

Don’t you remember Friday nights in college? It’s not an environment conducive to sleep.  These guys probably have to wake up at 8 for a noon kickoff.  

It costs a lot of money, but I completely understand why these teams stay at hotels for home games. 

FYI wrestlers are up at 530am to workout before weigh ins .They seem to do just fine 

Edited by calot

2 hours ago, jdalu75 said:

Don't most (all?) of the power schools have athletics dorms?

No.  

NCAA rules require a dorm used by athletes to have a minimum of 51% of the residents from the general student population. 

Most P5 athletes live off-campus in apartments or houses and use the housing stipend to pay their bills. 

Edited by Pinnum
Typo

2 hours ago, calot said:

FYI wrestlers are up at 530am to workout before weigh ins .They seem to do just fine 

And so do rowers. And football supports the existence of both sports in P5 conferences. That’s why doing everything necessary to field a competitive football team is important.

3 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

ya. perhaps there is some value in that. but does it not hold true for other sports? 

and in nebraska's case, why wouldn't you do a hotel a little outside of downtown (where all the insanity is anyway)?

to go a little further - you make the point that it is more ideal b/c of the college environment on friday nights, and i buy that, but I just can't see how the cost is justified at smaller programs.

according to a recent report, only something like 24 college football teams operate at a profit. 

I’d like to see that recent report-maybe it doesn’t account for the recent TV deals or maybe things like facilities construction are counted as an expense? Kentucky makes more money from football than it does basketball. I’m pretty sure most of the P5 schools are revenue positive in the football programs (prior to covid). But the importance goes beyond just revenue. A successful football program drives alumni donations to a large extent (the schools that have net negative revenue in football likely run that way because of big donations from alumni to subsidize the programs), and also ridiculously drives student enrollment.  

I wish wrestling brought in the revenue that football does..I really do. Let’s keep supporting our favorite programs to try to make this happen. But I also understand why universities do what they can to field a competitive football team because most of society doesn’t care about wrestling as much as we all here do.

Edited by Billyhoyle

25 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

And so do rowers. And football supports the existence of both sports in P5 conferences. That’s why doing everything necessary to field a competitive football team is important.

I’d like to see that recent report-maybe it doesn’t account for the recent TV deals or maybe things like facilities construction are counted as an expense? Kentucky makes more money from football than it does basketball. I’m pretty sure most of the P5 schools are revenue positive in the football programs (prior to covid). But the importance goes beyond just revenue. A successful football program drives alumni donations to a large extent (the schools that have net negative revenue in football likely run that way because of big donations from alumni to subsidize the programs), and also ridiculously drives student enrollment.  

I wish wrestling brought in the revenue that football does..I really do. Let’s keep supporting our favorite programs to try to make this happen. But I also understand why universities do what they can to field a competitive football team because most of society doesn’t care about wrestling as much as we all here do.

Well in reference to the OP...how many MAC football teams are bringing in revenue?

14 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Well in reference to the OP...how many MAC football teams are bringing in revenue?

I was responding to Willy’s post about Nebraska, but I doubt any in the Mac are...but these schools rely heavily on alumni donations and enrollment, which are driven by football. As the P5 conferences continue to make the smaller schools less relevant though, I agree the football teams in conferences like the mac (and maybe their entire existence in D1) may possibly go away. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

Such a ridiculous perversion of the reason for colleges and universities.  Do they put physics students up in hotels the night before big tests?  Put pre-med students up in hotels the night before taking their organic chem final?  Or the MCAT exam?  Do they put the theater crew up in hotels near campus before their shows?  

I won't be upset if the result of all this is that schools rethink sports and recognize that sports entails playing a game and it's a form of entertainment. Time to treat it as such, rather than have it be the priority for an institution of learning.  I know there isn't much hope ... money talks and the incentive to make more of it can be quite strong.