Jump to content
Badger Fan

Should NCAA Wrestling become a spring sport next year?

Recommended Posts

I'm willing to bet that coaches currently working on next year's schedule are trying to schedule their important duals in January and February.

I've wondered if cutbacks on travel expenses will kill the South Beach Duals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they went the second weekend of January to approximately April 15th, that would be a 14 week season that neatly fits into one semester. It is 39 days/ ~6 weeks shorter than the 2019-20 schedule that was approximately Nov. 10, 2019-March 21, 2020. More focus on school, less on workouts and making weight, "able to enjoy the holiday break", and still finished a couple weeks before finals. Oh, and probably less travel dates which then leads to less overhead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The January start sounds good, but it might be preferable to compress or shorten the season and keep the same end date in order to keep ESPN coverage of NCAAs. Idk if they would place much emphasis on nationals with the NBA and NHL heading into their playoffs, the NFL draft, MLB opening, etc. going on and yes, OTTs and World/Oly final qualifers and such. I mean there's always going to be some kind of conflict, but the way NCAAs are scheduled now seems to work really well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WIN Magazine did an article on this very topic back in the mid '90's. It was John Smith's idea and he made several good points, such as not having to battle the Final Four for air time on ESPN, the Holiday's, potentially better traveling weather, and a few others. Sounded great back then and still does. Oh and even John said that it would remain a Folkstyle Season. 

Edited by TexRef

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

This may be O.K. in 2022.

But,presuming there are Olympics next year,couldn't  this create a conflict with

the Olympic trials ?

 

 

What are there now, 6 weight classes for both free and Greco?  I don't think rearranging the NCAA season to fit the plans of 12 wrestlers who may or may not be active students is in the cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WIN Magazine did an article on this very topic back in the mid '90's. It was John Smith's idea and he made several good points, such as not having to battle the Final Four for air time on ESPN, the Holiday's, potentially better traveling weather, and a few others. Sounded great back then and still does. Oh and even John said that it would remain a Folkstyle Season. 

ESPN does not have rights to March Madness. They do show a lot of baseball and NBA playoffs, both of which are going strong come mid April. There are reasons to move the season, but TV is not one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are starting to hear more and more schools are going to open in the fall.  I heard Penn State as of now are 100% and may allow summer camps.

I am a fan of the single semester wrestling season but it won't be this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cjc007 said:

Cricket is more interesting than folk stall.

Or is it?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
 

The longest Cricket match went on for 9 days of play with ~680 overs bowled.  Even the best Iowa folkstaller could not come close to one four thousandths of that effort/level of excitement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The D! individual finals should be 19 days after the D1 Mens BB final give or take a couple of hours. It means the conferences will compete with the Frozen Four. It would seem to me that not big a deal.

However it might be just better to have a short season, No duals before christmas, just some 1 day low pressure opens

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RichB said:

The D! individual finals should be 19 days after the D1 Mens BB final give or take a couple of hours. It means the conferences will compete with the Frozen Four. It would seem to me that not big a deal.

However it might be just better to have a short season, No duals before christmas, just some 1 day low pressure opens

 

 

Good luck getting arenas several years in advance when you have to fight with NBA and NHL playoffs...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Good luck getting arenas several years in advance when you have to fight with NBA and NHL playoffs...

Just need it for four days; that ought to be manageable.  Could also just keep booking indoor football stadiums.

Ringling Bros. used to stop at Madison Square Garden for a couple of weeks every spring -- it didn't interfere with the Rangers and Knicks.  Their schedules were juggled a little to push more games on the road.  It was kind of neat to watch hockey with the trapeze stuff hanging from the rafters.

Edited by jdalu75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, IronChef said:


ESPN does not have rights to March Madness. They do show a lot of baseball and NBA playoffs, both of which are going strong come mid April. There are reasons to move the season, but TV is not one of them.

Thank you for that correction.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Good luck getting arenas several years in advance when you have to fight with NBA and NHL playoffs...

That would be a good reason to put it always in the 5 domed stadiums within the area wherein the championships normally occur.

Actually, of the sites hsed over th last 20 years. AHL stadiums easiest to schedule around (des Moine, Albany, Omaha), but they are mostly too small. Then NHL only Stadiums, (St Louis, Pitt Maybe Buffalo, Newark). NBA stadiums next Cleveland- but they may also have AHL Teams (minor league professional basketball is the NCAA- thus NHL easier), Then, of course places like MSG, Philadelphia WFA, Chicago (UA), Detroit, with both NBA and NHL are tough (note do the Cleveland Barons AHL team play at Quicken or at CSU?)

I think even a 2 major sport arena can work around a four night gap.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RichB said:

That would be a good reason to put it always in the 5 domed stadiums within the area wherein the championships normally occur.

Actually, of the sites hsed over th last 20 years. AHL stadiums easiest to schedule around (des Moine, Albany, Omaha), but they are mostly too small. Then NHL only Stadiums, (St Louis, Pitt Maybe Buffalo, Newark). NBA stadiums next Cleveland- but they may also have AHL Teams (minor league professional basketball is the NCAA- thus NHL easier), Then, of course places like MSG, Philadelphia WFA, Chicago (UA), Detroit, with both NBA and NHL are tough (note do the Cleveland Barons AHL team play at Quicken or at CSU?)

I think even a 2 major sport arena can work around a four night gap.

 

 

The Lake Erie Monsters play at The Q.  No Barons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, jdalu75 said:

Just need it for four days; that ought to be manageable.  Could also just keep booking indoor football stadiums.

Ringling Bros. used to stop at Madison Square Garden for a couple of weeks every spring -- it didn't interfere with the Rangers and Knicks.  Their schedules were juggled a little to push more games on the road.  It was kind of neat to watch hockey with the trapeze stuff hanging from the rafters.

During the leagues' regular seasons, that's totally manageable, they can definitely schedule around it. During the NBA/NHL/AHL playoffs, it's totally not manageable at all. Nobody (not even the Knicks and Rangers) are going to plan on not making the playoffs two, three, four, five years in advance so the NCAA can host the wrestling championships there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...