Badger Fan

Should NCAA Wrestling become a spring sport next year?

12 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Good luck getting arenas several years in advance when you have to fight with NBA and NHL playoffs...

Thus why I said April 15th-ish. NBA and NHL typically start the third weekend of April, so beginning one week before is ideal from an arena standpoint and a viewership perspective

58 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Thus why I said April 15th-ish. NBA and NHL typically start the third weekend of April, so beginning one week before is ideal from an arena standpoint and a viewership perspective

You said 19 days after the NCAA basketball championship game, which would've put the Championships as April 23-25th this year. The NBA and NHL Playoffs would've been very much in full swing by that point (the NHL playoffs would have started on roughly April 7th, meaning any NHL arena is out even for the weekend after the orangeball Championships, and the NBA playoffs on roughly April 18th).

Edited by SetonHallPirate

2 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

During the leagues' regular seasons, that's totally manageable, they can definitely schedule around it. During the NBA/NHL/AHL playoffs, it's totally not manageable at all. Nobody (not even the Knicks and Rangers) are going to plan on not making the playoffs two, three, four, five years in advance so the NCAA can host the wrestling championships there.

Yeah, both pro leagues start their playoffs in mid-April.  Wrestling would need to wrap by around April 10.  That's about three weeks later than now.

As long as Dolan owns the Knicks they're probably a safe bet to miss the playoffs, though.

On 5/18/2020 at 1:21 PM, ionel said:

... or just replace NCAA wrestling with cricket ...   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

;)

Wow that makes a lot of sense.  Are you stuck in the past.  Kids today when given the choice, they choose freestyle over folk.  Kids get it, freestyle is more action, more exciting and leads to the hightest level of the sport.  Why do you want to oppress today's athletes to live in your past?

5 hours ago, Scorenomore said:

Wow that makes a lot of sense.  Are you stuck in the past.  Kids today when given the choice, they choose freestyle over folk.  Kids get it, freestyle is more action, more exciting and leads to the hightest level of the sport.  Why do you want to oppress today's athletes to live in your past?

Freestyle sucks

25 minutes ago, Ohio Elite said:

I'm a folkstyle with pushouts type of guy.

A actual push or a step.Just curious if you want to allow straight pushes? I wouldn't want that to much like sumo for me

1 minute ago, calot said:

A actual push or a step.Just curious if you want to allow straight pushes? I wouldn't want that to much like sumo for me

How many freestyle matches have you watched that were too much like sumo? People get so amped up to see someone "shoot em off" the mat for a stall call so I don't think it would be any different for a point. If anything it would make it more exciting. The sumo thing is such a poor argument to me. 

P.S. Sumo is lit. 

20 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

How many freestyle matches have you watched that were too much like sumo? People get so amped up to see someone "shoot em off" the mat for a stall call so I don't think it would be any different for a point. If anything it would make it more exciting. The sumo thing is such a poor argument to me. 

P.S. Sumo is lit. 

Straight arm pushes aren't allowed now thats why we don't see it

10 hours ago, Scorenomore said:

Are you unfamiliar with the ;)  ?   But also kids world wide (well not so much in the US) choose Cricket, they get it, more action longer matches.  Why do you want to oppress today's US athletes (and put down athletes in other countries) by  living in your past and denying world competition?  ;)

23 hours ago, Sstern said:

The Lake Erie Monsters play at The Q.  No Barons.

Pretty sure for many years there was an AHL team called the Cleveland Barons. I see that for a couple years there Was an NHL team by that name, which, it looks like combined with another team to become San Jose, Looking Further it appears the AHL was founded with a team called the Cleveland Falcons, that became for a long time Cleveland Barons. When the NHL team formed, the Barons moved South to Jacksonville, then Syracuse, then disappeared, I don't really follow Hockey, but being 15 miles from Hershey it is hard to not catch something on sports I did not know where the lake Erie Monsters were located- could have been Toledo.

16 minutes ago, Scorenomore said:

My bad - missed the ;)!

in all seriousness though kids and senior level all favor freestyle.  It’s the old guard that won’t let go. 

I love when people say all, or most.  Is this a study done with all kids in the nation and all senior level wrestlers?  or all the ones you talk to?  or pretty much all, it seems like?

19 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

You said 19 days after the NCAA basketball championship game, which would've put the Championships as April 23-25th this year. The NBA and NHL Playoffs would've been very much in full swing by that point (the NHL playoffs would have started on roughly April 7th, meaning any NHL arena is out even for the weekend after the orangeball Championships, and the NBA playoffs on roughly April 18th).

'Twas I who said 19 days after NCAA-BBall.

Even with Playoffs, a single purpose Arena can work around a 4 day interregnum. If it means rotating the tournament primarily between the Penguins Arena and The Blues Arena, that is OK by me. With that date, and the first events of the season being between the end of Finals (say Dec 15-21) and Christmas, it would mean like a 12 day shorter season, which feels right.

.If it were 5 days. NCAA might not like championships of their possibly 3-4 sports (ice Hockey) on the same weekend, 

The next weekend could be OK, just compete with a less popular (attendance wise) sport - swimming or indoor track?. The conference Championships would be the same weekend As Basketball, But men's is Saturday-Monday, so if most of the conferences have finals Sunday.

Again, next year, may be a short season, so be it   

2 hours ago, teach said:

I love when people say all, or most.  Is this a study done with all kids in the nation and all senior level wrestlers?  or all the ones you talk to?  or pretty much all, it seems like?

Man I am striking out.  You are correct I shouldn’t say all, delete all and leave favor.  Pretty confident that those that have competed in both styles have a strong preference for freestyle.  In most interviews they state such and in The Who’s #1 competitions they overwhelmingly pick freestyle when given the choice.