irani

Best wrestlers of all time by weight class

Edit, based on some great feedback, I have modified the original post to list some of the contenders

Who would you pick as the best wrestlers of all time for each weight class?

I am going to go with the old olympics weight classes

48 Between Ebrahim Javadi , .Roman Dmitriev and Sergey Kornilayev.  Alll crushed their weight class, two failed to win at the olympics, in case of Kornilayev at home.  I will go with Javadi, mostly because I am bias :)

52 Jordanov, Bulgaria or Anatoly Beloglazov, close call, I will go with Jordanov

57 - Sergei Beloglazov (Russia) and Yojiro Uetake are the two contenders, and I am picking Berloglazov

63 - John smith USA, Osamu Watanabe. Mustafa Dağıstanlı are great contenders, but I am going with John Smith

68 - have to decided between Habibi , Iran, Movahed, Iran, Gable USA and Fadzayev Uzbekistan, this is very hard, but I will go with Fadzayev

74 -  Tough one between  Jordan Burroughs and Buvaisar Saitiev, but I think I will have to go with Satiev (Russia)

82 - Many good choices, but hard to pick one.  Tediashvili , Kevin Jackson, Mehdizadeh and Sadulaev would be candidates, but none of them crushed it long enough like the other weight classes.  Perhaps if either DT or Hassan Yazadani wiln the olympics and a few follow up world championships, they will get this one

90- Levan Tediashvili (Georgia), Khadarzev, Makharbek , and Rasul Khadem are three of the all time best, but I am going with Tediashvilli 

100 - Yarygin (Russia) is the winner in my book, Khadzhimurat Gatsalov and  Leri Khabelov get   honorable mentions

superheavy weight -  Medved (Russia)

So, I end up with 4 from Russia, 1 each from USA, Iran,  Bulgaria, Georgia and uzbekistan and of course one undecided

Who would you put in each weight class?

Edited by irani

1 hour ago, gimpeltf said:

Hate to do it but 63- you have to consider Watanabe. Only competed internationally 3 years but never giving up a point has to count for something.

Yes, he would have been the second choice, but  two olympic gold medals and a zillion world gold medals trumps his spectacular 3 years, at least in my book

1 hour ago, BuckyBadger said:

Both Khadartsev and  Uetake deserve mention here.

You are absolutely correct, Khadartsev is one of the greatest of all time, it's just that Tediashvili was even better, at least in my book.  The guy who beat Khadartsev three times, Rasul Khadem deservers an honorable mention too.

Uetake is a legend, and if it wasn't for Sergei Beloglazov , he would have been my choice, but Sergei Beloglazov just has far too many more world championships compared to none for Uetake

17 hours ago, irani said:

Who would you pick as the best wrestlers of all time for each weight class?

I am going to go with the old olympics weight classes

48 Between Ebrahim Javadi and Sergey Kornilayev.  Both crushed their weight class, and failed to win at the olympics, in case of Kornilayev at home.  I will go with Javadi, mostly because I am bias :)

52 Jordanov, Bulgaria or Anatoly Beloglazov, close call, I will go with Jordanov

57 - Sergei Beloglazov (Russia)

63 - John smith USA

68 - have to decided between Habibi , Iran, Movahed, Iran, Gable USA and Fadzayev Uzbekistan, this is very hard, but I will go with Fadzayev

74 -  Tough one between  Jordan Burroughs and Buvaisar Saitiev, but I think I will have to go with Satiev (Russia)

82 - Many good choices, but hard to pick one.  Tediashvili , Kevin Jackson, Mehdizadeh and Sadulaev would be candidates, but none of them crushed it long enough like the other weight classes.  Perhaps if either TD or Hassan Yazadani wiln the olympics and a few follow up world championships, they will get this one

90- Levan Tediashvili (Georgia)

100 - Yarygin (Russia)

superheavy weight -  Medved (Russia)

So, I end up with 4 from Russia, 1 each from USA, Iran,  Bulgaria, Georgia and uzbekistan and of course one undecided

Who would you put in each weight class?

Just looking at 48 kg. at would put one of my favorite all-time lightweights in this discussion....Roman Dmitriev 1 Olympic Gold,/ 1 silver, and 1 World Gold/2 silver and 1 bronze...I first saw him wrestle in the first USA vs. USSR dual at McGaw Hall in 1971......tough!!!!   And to me, there is no question it's Fadzaev at 68 kg.

Edited by fadzaev2

Here's one more I agree with Tediashvili at 90 kg., but I think you have to include Makharbek Khadartzev as well.....2 Olympic Gold/ 1 silver, 5 World Gold/2 silver/ 1 bronze.....Tediashvili has 2 Olympic Gold (vs. John and then Ben Peterson), 4 World Gold/1 World Silver  (in 3 different wt. classes).

17 hours ago, irani said:

One is the best freestyle wrestler of all time and the other is Jordan Burroughs

4 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

Here's one more I agree with Tediashvili at 90 kg., but I think you have to include Makharbek Khadartzev as well.....2 Olympic Gold/ 1 silver, 5 World Gold/2 silver/ 1 bronze.....Tediashvili has 2 Olympic Gold (vs. John and then Ben Peterson), 4 World Gold/1 World Silver  (in 3 different wt. classes).

I had to make some tough calls and I did :)  khadarfzev is one of the best of all time, but Tedlashvili really dominated against some of the best like I seldome see

1 minute ago, bnwtwg said:

One is the best freestyle wrestler of all time and the other is Jordan Burroughs

One is the best freestyle wrestler of all time and the other is Jordan Burroughs who is one of the best freestyle wresters of all time

14 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

out of curiosity, would you pick anyone at the 80-86 KG as the obvious best of all time?

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

If Burroughs won three more Olympic+world titles he would still be behind Satiev

Well, we agree that Satiev ranks higher than Burroughs.  If Burroughs had won three olympic golds, he would be in very very elite company  (I only can think of two), but yes, I would still pick Satiev, the man who could have won 4 gold medals

Edited by irani

My main point is that Burroughs argument is "if I won a few more times I could be close" but Satiev's argument is "if only I didn't lose two matches my entire career, I could have been an 11x champ"

Just now, bnwtwg said:

My main point is that Burroughs argument is "if I won a few more times I could be close" but Satiev's argument is "if only I didn't lose two matches my entire career, I could have been an 11x champ"

We agree, we are compating the greatest of all time to someone who is one of the greatest of all time, but the distance happens to be significant

It's crazy to think just how far apart they are, because JB is a legend in his own right. Maybe the proper analogy would be like comparing the vastness of space when it comes to comparing legends to GOATs. It will be a very long time before we see someone who globally dominates at the level of Satiev and Karelin again.

Edited by bnwtwg

32 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

It's crazy to think just how far apart they are, because JB is a legend in his own right. Maybe the proper analogy would be like comparing the vastness of space when it comes to comparing legends to GOATs. It will be a very long time before we see someone who globally dominates at the level of Satiev and Karelin again.

I think you have to include Medved, Yarygin and Tedlashvili  in the same category

20 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

80-86 kg???? are you combining or going outside wt. classes???

I am saying the old 82 kg weight class, but because of the many changes in weight classes, I am give us a little big of leeway. 

This weight class

• 79 kg: 1951–1961
  • 87 kg: 1962–1967
  • 82 kg: 1969–1995
  • 85 kg: 1997–2001
  • 84 kg: 2002–2013
  • 86 kg

Just trying to see if I am the only one who could not find an obvious winner

Edited by irani

9 minutes ago, irani said:

I am saying the old 82 kg weight class, but because of the many changes in weight classes, I am give us a little big of leeway. 

This weight class

• 79 kg: 1951–1961
  • 87 kg: 1962–1967
  • 82 kg: 1969–1995
  • 85 kg: 1997–2001
  • 84 kg: 2002–2013
  • 86 kg

Just trying to see if I am the only one who could not find an obvious winner

I like Tediashvili   6 World and Olympic Gold/1 Silver in 3 different wt. classes....beat John Peterson in Munich, and Ben Peterson in Montreal.  I discussed this one with Jay Robinson a long time ago, and he brought up Levan as well.

7 minutes ago, fadzaev2 said:

I like Tediashvili   6 World and Olympic Gold/1 Silver in 3 different wt. classes....beat John Peterson in Munich, and Ben Peterson in Montreal.  I discussed this one with Jay Robinson a long time ago, and he brought up Levan as well.

Yeah, he is one of the best of all time, but he onl wrestled 82 Kg only  in 1971 and 1972 before moving to 90 Kg,   I gave him the the best in 90 Kg, and did not want to give him two 

7 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

Maybe with your  79-86 Kilos go with Sadulaev then....1 Olympic Gold/4 World Gold/1 World Silver.  Might be my final answer....LOL

I am going to hold out for  DT and Yazdani, I hope to crown one of them in 3-4 years.

It looks it will be DT, but i am hoping for Yazdani

Edited by irani