OR

IMar and Engel to OSU

2 hours ago, JBluegill133 said:

I wonder how this will change IMar's preparation for the trials?

My thoughts exactly in the other thread....for him to make the move things have to be happening on the RTC level - more guys coming in to train is my thought. 

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

My thoughts exactly in the other thread....for him to make the move things have to be happening on the RTC level - more guys coming in to train is my thought. 

Wonder if Pendleton will draw some of the asu crowd to follow him...cough cough zahid cough cough

5 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

Wonder if Pendleton will draw some of the asu crowd to follow him...cough cough zahid cough cough

I think Zahid is confirmed staying at Sunkist....but it is a good question about who will follow to OSU from ASU, Stanford or Illinois to train with IMAR and others who come to the RTC.  The Pac 12 just got a little nervous. 

Edited by Idaho

Is Martinez really a huge asset for recruiting California? He is obviously from there and has been very successful and has been a well-known world team contender of late. However, he left California 7 years ago at age 18 and has lived in Illinois on an almost full-time basis since then. I don't think he is someone with an extensive network of CA recruiting contacts, especially given his limited coaching experience.

I don't question his name recognition, ability to work with his wrestlers, or even his recruiting ability in general. I'm more wondering at the idea that he instantly makes OSU a major player in recruiting.

3 hours ago, jeffrideal said:

Curious where Ian Miller will land or if he pursues something other than coaching.  

Not to many openings currently.Michigan St has a opening.I would think Ian gets a job and moves on from coaching.

9 hours ago, IronChef said:

Is Martinez really a huge asset for recruiting California? He is obviously from there and has been very successful and has been a well-known world team contender of late. However, he left California 7 years ago at age 18 and has lived in Illinois on an almost full-time basis since then. I don't think he is someone with an extensive network of CA recruiting contacts, especially given his limited coaching experience.

I don't question his name recognition, ability to work with his wrestlers, or even his recruiting ability in general. I'm more wondering at the idea that he instantly makes OSU a major player in recruiting.

That could be true. Maybe he'll have more pull with Illinois high schoolers? Time will tell.

9 hours ago, IronChef said:

Yes he is - I'm sure that between Pendleton and Martinez there are a lot of connections. 

56 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

From the folks around the water cooler. It sounds like he has a couple big interviews coming in next week or two.

Wyoming is a great spot for him or Michigan St if hes looking to get back to the Midwest

1 hour ago, Obelix said:

Do we know that IMar is a good coach? Exceptional wrestler, yes, but as we know this doesn't always translate. 

I am going to trust Pendleton (and to some degree Engle since he was hired first) that they did their homework on IMAR being a good fit for the OSU program. The fact that Pendleton took his time, had many great options, checked and double checked references, tells me he did his due diligence and then some to come up with a good coach. 

25 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I am going to trust Pendleton (and to some degree Engle since he was hired first) that they did their homework on IMAR being a good fit for the OSU program. The fact that Pendleton took his time, had many great options, checked and double checked references, tells me he did his due diligence and then some to come up with a good coach. 

Totally agreed with you Idaho. Chris mentored under Zeke Jones for years and understands the efforts involved. It's going to be a project which may takes years to develop but I'm sure he's up to the task. 

Good luck Coaches Pendelton, Martinez and Engle, I'll be following closely.

3 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

Why would it take years or what do you mean by years? Like 2 years or 5-6 like at ASU? The team has what 4 or 5 current or former qualifiers back? If all these guys are all that good , it seems it would take very little time.

It could go either way - personally I see 2-3 years by the simple fact that they have some youth and talent on the roster now - but they need a little more. All 10 starters back - Three former qualifiers - Turner, Willits and Willits. Two guys who "should have" qualified in Kaylor and Doyle. Stigall and Dixon also show a lot of promise for next year. Few other guys knocking on the door.  How many of those guys qualify next year? How many are AA next year? They will make improvements no doubt...but to be a top 10 team they are a few years away and a few good recruiting classes to complement with the youth they have now. If they get a couple good transfers in at weights they need and good recruiting classes for 21 and 22 then things will look good. Time will tell.