Sign in to follow this  
jerseywrestling

Best Wrestlers in Cornell History

Best Wrestlers in Cornell History

dakejpg-ddf612a0b8880fa6.jpg

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/news.php?story=Best Wrestlers in Cornell History

The top five wrestlers in Big Red history won a total of ten NCAA titles.

Kyle Dake won four of those titles at four different weights.

New Jersey's own Mike Grey of Delbarton is ranked #25.

Check out the best Cornell wrestlers of all-time ranked by NCAA medals!

Here are the top five!

Rank - Name - Score - Finishes

#1 - Kyle Dake - 64 - 1,1,1,1
#2 - Gabe Dean - 54 - 3,1,1,2
#3 - Troy Nickerson - 47 - 2,3,1,4
#4 - Nahshon Garrett - 45 - 3,2,5,1
#5 - Travis Lee - 43 - 7,1,5,1

There have been 46 All-American wrestlers who have won 88 medals in Cornell history!

http://www.jerseywrestling.com/ncaa_team_profile.php?team=Cornell

Check out the full story from the photo!

https://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/18432/titles-one-of-wrestler-dakes-many-routines

===

Like and follow us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/jerseywrestling/

Yianni & Dave Auble have two championships each and don't make top 5? How about buh-bye to Nashon and we'll wait until Yianni's career is over to put him in?

Ironic this came out on heels of Mr Dake's foot-in-mouth podcast interview.

It's an overly simplistic method of ranking, that favors modern wrestlers.  Does not factor consideration that in the pre-1970s one could only compete in three post-season cycles.  Also does not consider changes to the consolation bracket: fewer placements & use of a repechage process.

Thanks for putting this list together, @jerseywrestling.

But there is no way Travis Lee, a two time champ and 4x AA, should be below Nickerson and Garrett, who are both 1x champs.  Lee in his prime would crush either of those two guys.  IMO, the Mount Rushmore of Cornell wrestling is Gabe, Kyle, Yianni (who has two more years left), and Travis.  

27 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

But there is no way Travis Lee, a two time champ and 4x AA, should be below Nickerson and Garrett, who are both 1x champs.  Lee in his prime would crush either of those two guys.  IMO, the Mount Rushmore of Cornell wrestling is Gabe, Kyle, Yianni (who has two more years left), and Travis.  

What about Auble? Wasn't he an Olympian and 2X NCAA champ?

Edited by NJDan
correction

3 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

That's not really a fair statement when saying Lee would crush Nickerson shoulder injury derailed his career so you never got to see a prime. freshman version was about as close as you got. But yes Lee should be ahead based on his results.

Edited by Sublime607

16 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

That's not really a fair statement when saying Lee would crush Nickerson shoulder injury derailed his career so you never got to see a prime. freshman version was about as close as you got. But yes Lee should be ahead based on his results.

You think that Nickerson at his peak could beat Lee at his peak?

I think people are too quick to dismiss senior year Garrett - that dude was an animal.  Undefeated, pinned the defending champ in 21 seconds in the NCAA semis and by 5 earlier in the year.  He was really really good and that version who wasn't cutting so much weight could hang with Travis Lee...

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

I think people are too quick to dismiss senior year Garrett - that dude was an animal.  Undefeated, pinned the defending champ in 21 seconds in the NCAA semis and by 5 earlier in the year.  He was really really good and that version who wasn't cutting so much weight could hang with Travis Lee...

I'm not saying Garrett is a scrub, he is one of the all time greats at Cornell.  However, he is not on the same level as Lee, IMO.  Lee is a 2x NCAA Champ (second multiple time champ in Cornell program history), the first 4x AA in program history, and the first 4x EIWA champ in program history.  Maybe "crush" wasn't the best term to use, but I would say the best version of Travis at 125 would beat the best version of Nashon at 125, and the best version of Travis at 133 would also beat the best version of Nashon at 133.  The scoring system for his article is flawed listing a 2x champ (4x AA) behind two 1x champs (4x AA).  

I'm with you on the scoring system, in no way am I defending that.   Ranking all time Cornell wrestlers Lee is ahead of Garrett, no doubt.

I just disagree that they aren't on the same level, nothing more nothing less.   Career wise definitely Lee but best version at 133 it's a tossup.  Let's not forget senior year Travis Lee lost a match to Sean Bunch.  If Bunch can beat him during his best 133 year, the version Garrett that:

1. Never lost a match at 133
  2. Pinnned the defending NCAA champ in the semis and
  3. Beat defending the runner up in the most lopsided 7-6 match ever

Can beat him too.  Would love to see the match!

21 minutes ago, Gantry said:

I'm with you on the scoring system, in no way am I defending that.   Ranking all time Cornell wrestlers Lee is ahead of Garrett, no doubt.

I just disagree that they aren't on the same level, nothing more nothing less.   Career wise definitely Lee but best version at 133 it's a tossup.  Let's not forget senior year Travis Lee lost a match to Sean Bunch.  If Bunch can beat him during his best 133 year, the version Garrett that:

1. Never lost a match at 133
  2. Pinnned the defending NCAA champ in the semis and
  3. Beat defending the runner up in the most lopsided 7-6 match ever

Can beat him too.  Would love to see the match!

Here's a thread from this board seven years, where posters here were split about a fantasy match up between Lee and Logan Steiber.  I don't think peak Nahshon is anywhere close to same level as Steiber.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I would take a healthy Nickerson over either Lee or Garrett.  That freakin shoulder hobbled him big time.  Kid had technique galore.  

Wish Big was still around to give Nickerson the props he deserves.

20 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

You think that Nickerson at his peak could beat Lee at his peak?

I'm just saying you never got to see a Nickerson peak because of his shoulder injury. But yes I would take a healthy Nickerson over Lee.

Edited by Sublime607