Sign in to follow this  
MadMardigain

Good Wrestling Posters! Post what to have or can remember.

Finally cleaned out my home office today, so That I could use it again. I have this one above my desk.  

8062f2129ddfc176cdd8995a4cf75e97.jpg

Looks like Possibly Brands bro and someone else, but can’t place it.  Didn’t think it was Vanni though the time period fits.

And I’ve got this classic one with Gable hanging on the other side of the room too.  
Dan_Gable___Asic_4ace1942bec8f.jpg

And for a good wrestling friends previous birthday I bought him this 1996 Olympic wrestling poster.  Should have grabbed one for me too when I had the chance. 

9c41f8ea58ce9c215a96fe7c861edaa8.jpg

It go me thinking what other good wrestling poster are out there?  I know there are the generic Determination style posters with a random photo shot that they switch out with another picture for a different sport.  Due to that I don’t consider that a great wrestling poster.  Seems like we are due for a few more good ones, but I haven’t seen any recently.

Edited by MadMardigain

36 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

newcross.jpg

I think this was the only one I ever had (got at a camp he did).   Still the best shoes ever.

U arent kidding, that is one great poster although I think I disagree about the shoes.

6 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

Finally cleaned out my home office today, so That I could use it again. I have this one above my desk.  

8062f2129ddfc176cdd8995a4cf75e97.jpg

Looks like Possibly Brands bro and someone else, but can’t place it.  Didn’t think it was Vanni though the time period fits.

This poster is a little too old for a brands brother. I had this is hanging in my room in college and I am a few years older than them

2 hours ago, Jim L said:

This poster is a little too old for a brands brother. I had this is hanging in my room in college and I am a few years older than them

And Vanni wouldn't have wrestled Brands (or is there another Vanni?)

35 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

And Vanni wouldn't have wrestled Brands (or is there another Vanni?)

That’s the only one I know of. I knew Vanni wouldn’t wrestle Brands, but for the purposes of repetitive throws to get a good action photograph Vanni would have likely worked out well.  Although, like I said above I didn’t think it was him. 

Edited by MadMardigain

24 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

Isn’t that John Wachsmith?  

I got bored and did a deep dive.  Here is what I found although it’s a random message board comment so I can’t attest to its accuracy. 

“Former Portland State wrestler John Wachsmuth seen "throwing" Barry Miles of Oregon State; late1980's.

Barry was considerably larger than John, yet the photographer asked John to pause in mid-air because apparently the cameras shutter was not fast enough to freeze full speed motion; this made the landing harder on both of them - like falling in a heap. They shot dozens of "takes" and both men claimed it was a grueling way to earn $100.00.”

I"ve looked and can't find it, but in the mid-80's Domino's put out a poster showing all of USA's Olympic and World Champs to that point.  That poster hanging on my wall was the driving force of the sport becoming my life.

11 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

That’s the only one I know of. I knew Vanni wouldn’t wrestle Brands, but for the purposes of repetitive throws to get a good action photograph Vanni would have likely worked out well.  Although, like I said above I didn’t think it was him. 

I more meant that Vanni was much smaller and the throwee appears bigger.

Here is an interesting picture set I came across for someone wanting a more stylistic look to an office area. Wrestling related patent frames images   il_794xN.1679388221_bkfh.jpg

and a classic wrestling (looks more catch wrestling) positions poster with a little jujutsu thrown in.  
il_794xN.1570704080_bpz5.jpg
il_794xN.632115866_ipt3.jpg

Edited by MadMardigain

1 hour ago, MadMardigain said:

I got bored and did a deep dive.  Here is what I found although it’s a random message board comment so I can’t attest to its accuracy. 

“Former Portland State wrestler John Wachsmuth seen "throwing" Barry Miles of Oregon State; late1980's.

Barry was considerably larger than John, yet the photographer asked John to pause in mid-air because apparently the cameras shutter was not fast enough to freeze full speed motion; this made the landing harder on both of them - like falling in a heap. They shot dozens of "takes" and both men claimed it was a grueling way to earn $100.00.”

It makes sense.  I would imagine Portland state is fairly close to Nike HQ.  Also, I'm pretty sure there is a similar, but less popular Nike ad showing Portland State great Dan Russell executing a throw.

Amateur Wrestling Collectibles Gallery- Magazines & Ads by Tom ...

Edited by AHamilton

21 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

Oh and the somewhat out of place Garth Brooks with the wrestlers to start hyping up the 1996 Atlanta games. 
cb1bpp5upx621.jpg

Why is he out of place? Because his college roommate (John Smith) wasn't there?

3 hours ago, AHamilton said:

It makes sense.  I would imagine Portland state is fairly close to Nike HQ.  Also, I'm pretty sure there is a similar, but less popular Nike ad showing Portland State great Dan Russell executing a throw.

Amateur Wrestling Collectibles Gallery- Magazines & Ads by Tom ...

Cool poster.. if you zoom in you can see it is supposed to be a blender with the setting selected between puree and liquify begging Dan Russell

The wimps need not apply poster is so iconic. There was one hanging in my high school's wrestling room. My brother also wrote to Nike request a wrestling catalog and they sent him a tri-fold pamphlet with the Wachmsmuth picture on the front. He put it in one of those plastic report cover things and taped it to the back of his Trapper Keeper for display, hahaha.

I seem to remember a poster of the famous Dietrich-Taylor photo in the wrestling room too, but not 100% sure.

5 minutes ago, LJB said:

it's shameful that this post has been active for almost a day and no one has thrown up the train like a madman poster...

I posted both earlier above the Chris Taylor throw image, but for some reason the images went away.  I’ll try again. POSTER-Train_Like_a_Madman.jpgPOSTER_Train_Like_a_Madman_2.jpg

Edited by MadMardigain