irani

Moving up a weight class or two

5 hours ago, fadzaev2 said:

How about this:

Here's another guy I thought of yesterday, when someone posted the famous Chris Taylor getting launched photo.....Wilfried Dietrich...I don't think he's listed here.

Olympics

1956  Silver  Greco Roman,   1960 Gold Freestyle, 1960 Silver Greco Roman (wrestled both styles more than once), 1964 Bronze Greco Roman, 1968 Bronze Freestyle  (5 Olympic Medals)

World Championships

1957 Silver Freestyle, 1961 Gold Freestyle, 1962 Bronze Freestyle, 1962 Bronze Greco Roman, 1969 Silver  Greco Roman

(10 world medals/5 Freestyle and 5 Greco Roman....twice doubles and placed in both styles......2 gold, 4 silver and 4 bronze in all)

One of the most "unique" careers of all-time, inlcuding the throw on Chris Taylor in Munich.  87, 97, 100 and 130 Kgs.

Definitely unqiue, his medal count alone is pretty impressie, but the fact that he did it in both styles makes it amazing

Not at the level of these guys already mentioned, but Franklin Gomez has wrestled internationally from 60 kilos to 74 (and I believe did national events at 57).   Chamizo is astounding, though, taking World bronze at 55 and silver at 74.  Bonne has also wrestled anywhere from 57 to 65 with impressive results.

How about this:

Here's another guy I thought of yesterday, when someone posted the famous Chris Taylor getting launched photo.....Wilfried Dietrich...I don't think he's listed here.

Olympics

1956  Silver  Greco Roman,   1960 Gold Freestyle, 1960 Silver Greco Roman (wrestled both styles more than once), 1964 Bronze Greco Roman, 1968 Bronze Freestyle  (5 Olympic Medals)

World Championships

1957 Silver Freestyle, 1961 Gold Freestyle, 1962 Bronze Freestyle, 1962 Bronze Greco Roman, 1969 Silver  Greco Roman

(10 world medals/5 Freestyle and 5 Greco Roman....twice doubles and placed in both styles......2 gold, 4 silver and 4 bronze in all)

One of the most "unique" careers of all-time, inlcuding the throw on Chris Taylor in Munich.  87, 97, 100 and 130 Kgs.

This is really incredible.  15 years before "The Throw"  Dietrich was wrestling 190lbs--87kg!  So its unlikely he was much more than 245lbs--110kg in 1972.  Taylor was 440lbs--200kgs (the weight class wasn't 130kgs!),

Tommy Rowlands was a 125 pounder as a high school freshman and developed into a pretty decent heavyweight, placing 5th in the world at 120 k.  Young man I coached won his first high school state title at 103 as a freshman and ended up a college 197 pounder, placing 3rd and 5th in the Big Ten.  On a personal note, I myself was a terrible wrestler but I wrestled by last high school bout at 112 and my first college bout at 142 (cutting about 8 pounds).  Also, in one year overseas I competed from 57 kilos (125.5) to 74 kilos (163)--I was unafraid to lose at any weight!

Edited by Coach_J

On 5/24/2020 at 8:08 PM, Coach_J said:

Chamizo is astounding, though, taking World bronze at 55 and silver at 74.

Chamizo should definitely be on this list.  Also has World golds at 65 and 70, plus Olympic bronze at 65.  Medals in four weight classes at the senior level!  Has anyone else done that at four weights (not including small changes such as when 96 changed to 97)?

On 5/26/2020 at 7:32 AM, Coach_J said:

Tommy Rowlands was a 125 pounder as a high school freshman and developed into a pretty decent heavyweight, placing 5th in the world at 120 k.  Young man I coached won his first high school state title at 103 as a freshman and ended up a college 197 pounder, placing 3rd and 5th in the Big Ten.  On a personal note, I myself was a terrible wrestler but I wrestled by last high school bout at 112 and my first college bout at 142 (cutting about 8 pounds).  Also, in one year overseas I competed from 57 kilos (125.5) to 74 kilos (163)--I was unafraid to lose at any weight!

Wow, I didn't know Rowlands started that light.  It's been years since I read Kurt Angle's autobiography, but I think he followed a similar weight trajectory in high school.

Not sure he would be able to handle the sheer size disadvantage with the monsters of the weight class, but Sadulaev may have a late-career renaissance at 125 if he has trouble either making weight or making the team at 97 before he retires.

Edited by bnwtwg