Fletcher

Live wrestling allowed in any states next month?

4 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Do y'all know when your state will start allowing live training - either at the youth, HS or college level?  IL starts phase 3 in June, which means no live wrestling yet.

Why would there need to be live wrestling in June?

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Why would there need to be live wrestling in June?

Fargo is usually in July I think. It seems like the cadets/Juniors should probably get a little live wrestling in before Nationals.

42 minutes ago, ExBSUfan said:

Fargo is usually in July I think. It seems like the cadets/Juniors should probably get a little live wrestling in before Nationals.

I doubt Fargo will happen at all. Certainly if it does it won't resemble anything in the past. NY is not going. NDSU is not running any summer camps or classes. They haven't specifically ruled out this event but if no in person camps, I can't imagine them wanting to do an even larger event like this.

49 minutes ago, ExBSUfan said:

NCAA Championship is usually in March and summer Olympic Games in July/August but ...

Edited by ionel

6 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Do y'all know when your state will start allowing live training - either at the youth, HS or college level?  IL starts phase 3 in June, which means no live wrestling yet.

July 1 I believe 

19 minutes ago, ionel said:

NCAA Championship is usually in March and summer Olympic Games in July/August but ...

NCAA wrestlers were live wrestling before their championship got cancelled, and I’m willing to bet so were the Olympic team hopefuls. Fargo hasn’t been cancelled yet, (it probably will be) but why wouldn’t the competitors prepare like the event will happen if it isn’t cancelled officially?

20 minutes ago, ExBSUfan said:

NCAA wrestlers were live wrestling before their championship got cancelled, and I’m willing to bet so were the Olympic team hopefuls. Fargo hasn’t been cancelled yet, (it probably will be) but why wouldn’t the competitors prepare like the event will happen if it isn’t cancelled officially?

Perhaps you dont understand what's going on and where high school wrestling fits in the bigger scheme of things, particularly since the season doesn't even start till ~December and you are talking about June!?

BTW: folks in Illinois can't even get a haircut

Edited by ionel

11 minutes ago, ionel said:

Perhaps you dont understand what's going on and where high school wrestling fits in the bigger scheme of things, particularly since the season doesn't even start till ~December and you are talking about June!?

Perhaps you didn’t understand my point. Fargo isn’t cancelled (yet) why wouldn’t the wrestlers be preparing for it? What if, by some miracle, it does happen?

I’m not saying it should or shouldn’t happen, all I’m saying is if I was a competitor I would still want to be prepared.

Should've been more clear - I'm not looking for political discussions on covid; there's other threads for that. Just trying to get a sense of when different states are allowing contact wrestling. IL is not allowing in June; no word on July or beyond.

5 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Should've been more clear - I'm not looking for political discussions on covid; there's other threads for that. Just trying to get a sense of when different states are allowing contact wrestling. IL is not allowing in June; no word on July or beyond.

I’m sorry about that Fletcher, I wasn’t trying to turn this into another covid/political thread. I think Idaho answered your question from our state.

10 hours ago, ExBSUfan said:

I’m sorry about that Fletcher, I wasn’t trying to turn this into another covid/political thread. I think Idaho answered your question from our state.

HS sports workouts (with limitations) begin June 1st in our conference (weights, conditioning, etc.) - less restrictive workouts (teams, scrimmage, etc.) begin July 1st. Of course that barring any setbacks. 

11 hours ago, ExBSUfan said:

... all I’m saying is if I was a competitor I would still want to be prepared.

Give yourself a break, go outside and play baseball, soccer or go running.  Folks need to get outside where there's solar, wind, heat etc.

Edited by ionel

For Fargo to happen, you must first have qualifiers from each state.  There is no way, all 50 states will be able to hold those qualifiers this summer, you may only get half of those states.

Then it isn't a national tournament so why even have it?

17 minutes ago, Boompa said:

For Fargo to happen, you must first have qualifiers from each state.  There is no way, all 50 states will be able to hold those qualifiers this summer, you may only get half of those states.

Then it isn't a national tournament so why even have it?

Weeks ago, USAW was saying  that if Fargo was a go, the states would have to be creative in selecting teams.

23 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Weeks ago, USAW was saying  that if Fargo was a go, the states would have to be creative in selecting teams.

Yep - they aren't holding to the traditional qualifying because they can't. 

Most of the top wrestlers haven't stopped training.  It may be in private clubs with small groups but they haven't stopped.

If you think Iowa isn't at a private club in Iowa City and PSU hasn't been to M2, you are delusional.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:17 PM, ionel said:

Not all states start their season in December, some start earlier.