MonagFam

Matches that seemed destined, but never happened?

Maybe this doesn't happen with the various tournaments and duals throughout a collegiate wrestling season,  but have there been marquee matchups that just never happened? Maybe the two seemed destined to meet up in the championship, but things fell differently?

This question may be better suited for the international board, where there is less frequent overlap.  I am still not over the cloud of disappointment that was cast over the 2019 World Championships when Snyder lost to Sharifov, failing to qualify for the much-anticipated rubber match with Sadulaev.

Jake Rosholt versus either BJ Padden or Jon Trenge in a national championship finals match. There is no doubt Rosholt was money in March, and he beat nearly everyone put in front of him.  Yet he is rarely mentioned amongst the all-time greats despite his three championships. Some of it has to do with his inconsistency during the regular season, but I think a lot of it has to do with him not having to face his biggest in-season rivals at Nationals.

Another one I would have liked to have seen would have been Corey Cooperman versus Nate Gallick.  Coop had clearly distanced himself from the field other than Ware and Gallick his last 2 years. While it was aparent that Ware had Coop's number,  we never get to see him up against Gallick.

6 minutes ago, luckysevens said:

Another one I would have liked to have seen would have been Corey Cooperman versus Nate Gallick.  Coop had clearly distanced himself from the field other than Ware and Gallick his last 2 years. While it was aparent that Ware had Coop's number,  we never get to see him up against Gallick.

Gallick beat Coop in a dual 3-2 and again 4-2 in cons 1/4s 2004 NCAA.

In March of 1970 Gable lost the much talked about and famous match to Larry Owings.  That would have been my first NCAA Championship, but I got mono and was in the hospital.  So later that year, I thought I'd go to my first Midlands Championship to see the rematch....got there just in time to see Larry Owings get beat by Clyde Smith (Northwestern).    Didn't get to see the rematch, but did get my very first super8 movie of great wrestling....118 Thrasher over Steve Lampe, 126 Yoshiro Fujita over Bill Knight, 134 Dwayne Keller over Tom MIlkovich, 142 Darryl Keller over Dave Pruzanski, 150 Gable over Clyde Smith 14-2, 158 Carl Adams over Joe Wells, 167 Jim Tanniehill over John Peterson, 177 Steve DeVries over Pete Leiskau. 190 Russ Hellickson over Ben Peterson, and HWT. Chris Taylor over Greg Wojciechowski 5-1 OT.  I count 11 NCAA Championships in the finals alone, along with 8 Olympic Medals, including 4 gold and Greg Wojciechowski was on the 1980 team that didn't go  to Moscow.  What a tournament.....think I"ve been to maybe 20 of them without going to my office to check.  Fadz

4 hours ago, luckysevens said:

Jake Rosholt versus either BJ Padden or Jon Trenge in a national championship finals match. There is no doubt Rosholt was money in March, and he beat nearly everyone put in front of him.  Yet he is rarely mentioned amongst the all-time greats despite his three championships. Some of it has to do with his inconsistency during the regular season, but I think a lot of it has to do with him not having to face his biggest in-season rivals at Nationals.

Andy Simmons would beg to differ....Andy fought injuries pretty bad at the end, but he was every bit at Coop's level and pinned him at NCAA's in '05!

2 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Andy Simmons would beg to differ....Andy fought injuries pretty bad at the end, but he was every bit at Coop's level and pinned him at NCAA's in '05!

You are right. For some reason I thought he lost to Ware both years and remember him being fairly dominate in the consolation finals both years.